Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

Disneyland has an expansion mapped out already. Aren't both land to be identical?

Yes, more or less -- there might be some differences in building locations due to different spaces, but the contents of each Star Wars land will be the same and will be build at the same time.

That's not what I'm talking about though. Toy Story Land and Star Wars will be built at DHS and the construction walls that are up are set for that. What I'm talking about is the elusive "Phase 3" originally intended to go into the SoA/LMA area where Star Wars now will be.

DHS had something like a $2.8B budget approved, which included a lot of infrastructure changes (new toll plaza/entrance way, additional surface parking, two parking decks, fireworks launch, new Flex theater, etc.) plus included Toy Story Land, Star Wars land, and a "Phase 3" area planned to be other Pixar content plus even some other stuff around the park like new shows in some of the existing theaters. Rumor has it that Phase 3 has been trimmed back due to budget overruns for Pandora in DAK (supposedly is $500M over the budget) and the money had to come from "somewhere". Phase 3 might now only consist of an attraction or two somewhere in the park rather than a full scale land.

I'm eagerly awaiting the info to leak. I think it's quite bad news, as DHS could really use a lot of additional attractions. The 4 we are getting with TS and SW are nice, but we'll have lost Backlot Tour, LMA, One Man's Dream, Jack Sparrow, HISTK playground and just the general "walking around" value of SoA to get there. And that's not counting Animation, which may or may not come back once Launch Bay leaves. DHS was already a "half day park" to many and what we are getting only basically replace what we lost. We need another 3-5 rides IMHO to really round out the park and I'm skeptical we'll get them in the near term.

I hope we can at least get a return of a daytime parade.

roj2323

View attachment 137802
Disneyland has an expansion mapped out already. Aren't both land to be identical?

The buildings might be identical and in the same order but I highly doubt the placement is going to be identical. They will shift buildings around to fit the land and there are aspects of the disneyland version that don't need to be contended with at DHS. Namely the railroad and Fantasmic storage are not needed.

jt04

I actually tend to agree with that, but I'm not hardcore about it. Zootopia to me seems like a better fit for DHS, actually. I'd tend to put animals acting like animals stuff (e.g. Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Lady & the Tramp, Jungle Book, critters from Pocahontas and Tarzan, etc.) in DAK and put the anthropomorphic animals elsewhere.

That said...

Why not both? DAK is heading a great direction, but could still use a few more rides to really fill things out once Pandora is done.

If Zootopia ever warranted an attraction I think there are better places than DAK. Imagination?

Brian Swan

There's no clear basis for the rumor other than armchair imagineering. Also, the Iron Man ride is set in Hong Kong, so it might have to be modified to fit for Anaheim -- if they were doing that, they might as well just develop the same ride for DL and DHS as a replacement.

Aren't they adding a new Nemo ride in Tokyo using the ride system (replacing Storm Rider)? It would be an odd fit for Tomorrowland, but maybe that is being considered.
The submarine ride in DL has already gotten a Nemo overlay (which is really quite good - better than the Seas Nemo Overlay), so how well Nemo would "fit" in TL is a moot point. I just don't see them having TWO nemo attractions in the same land.

YodaMan

Has the un-cropped version been posted yet? Much easier to tell that the picture was taken on SOA in this version.
WDW_HL_R2D2atDHS_4.11.16_img1-2.jpg

Mike730

FYI the total available land in SOA/LMA area is over 19 acres. Phase 3 may be doomed but it could mean cooler land transitions/areas to explore, and a sizable chunk of future SW expansion land.

Ignohippo

As I'm sure @marni1971 can back me up SWL was never going to touch any of the buildings.

Plus that map is wildly inaccurate over the volume of acreage that TSL. One its not going any further south than Stage Lane and no further north than CM parking garage thats back there.

You are completely nitpicking it. I was going by info given to me in about a 15 minute phone conversation. My apologies if I had TSland very, very slightly larger to the south and north on my map. I would hardly call it "widely inaccurate" by any stretch of the imagination. The location and walking paths are entirely accurate. While the exact size may not be 100%, it's about 95% accurate if your sources are correct.

Remember, I gave this information at a time no one had any clue at all about TS or SW (at least the specifics hadn't been shared on the boards anyway, at that point). The info I was given was that it would go south of the Animation Courtyard and end around where the preshow buildings for BLT were. It wasn't as though someone was pointing things out on a map. It was a phone call. I reproduced what I was told as accurately as I could.

**For complete transparency, I was also told that the south portion of the Animation Courtyard (including the shops, the Pirates Soundstage, OMD AND The Little Mermaid) would all be going. That info has been rebuffed by other insiders here, so that is up in the air as to if the info I have is inaccurate, or was changed at some point. I was told the infrastructure for TLM and OMD were the same, so it wouldn't be possible to tear one down without the other, but I have zero personal insight on that. THAT is info that may be "widely inaccurate", so I'm happy to put it out there and say the info I had was wrong if that's the case.**

As for SW, we have always agreed that the area that was to have been used was 'close' but disagree on the specific location. I stand by what I was told completely and that, at whatever point, the buildings around Echo Lake were absolutely to have been used in this project, and the cost saving involved was the entire reason it was originally planned for that location. To say the area would have been back further doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since the entire purpose of locating it there would have been to save money by repurposing the existing structures but I'm sure the others have all of their info from very good sources, so not sure what the story is there. I only know what I was told.

But I guess all of that is moot now, since SW isn't going in that area any longer anyway.

Ignohippo

I am saying if Marvel is going in dhs HB makes sense. I have already said the if gotg is used it should be at the mk.

It makes ZERO sense to me. Zero.

I was told RnRC would be re-themed to Guardians because, simply, the thought is no one gives a crap about Aerosmith anymore and it gives them a very, very easy and quick way to get Marvel into the park. The music tie-in is a perfect way to make it work. They have been looking to replace Aerosmith for years, and they finally have an opportunity - and one that costs them zero in licensing, too.

I was told nothing about WDW1974's info about ToT being converted, but it does seem to make some sense, I guess, if they are thinking about changing RnRC. I don't see where the tie-in would be between ToT and GotG, but it is obvious someone in Glendale is working on it and it's a HUGE coincidence.

That's a far cry from changing the entire Hollywood Blvd. to a GotG theme, though. I imagine, if it happens at all, it would just be one or both of those attractions, and nothing else.

Ignohippo

At this point I'm just happy we are getting Star Wars a whole lot earlier than expected. Yes, the placement might impede on "current" future plans, but DHS will eventually get what it needs. I'm not too worried.

Heh! You should be. The bean counters are trying to cut corners at every opportunity and one just came up that saves them $500 million+. Don't be surprised TS and SW are all that gets added for quite awhile.

I've heard the possibility of an attraction here or an attraction there, but nothing as grandiose as what was originally envisioned.

I see it more likely that they'll want to take advantage of the turnstiles rotating from TS and SW and won't see the need to invest any more $$ for quite a while, but that's purely speculation.

Ignohippo

As things stand now, I don't think there is enough room back there for a passageway, the space between the buildings and Cypress Dr is very narrow, so if they were to do this it would have to wait until after the entrance get's moved which is still a long way off. They would then have to re-route Cypress Dr to make room. I just don't see this happening.

If SWL is going in the LMA area, and they wanted it connected to SWL, I think they would have sacrificed Muppets.

I agree with this completely. I'm afraid Star Tours days are very numbered.

However, we also have to think The Muppets days may eventually be numbered as well, if that's the possible expansion plot for SW. If it is, there's your connection.

Next Big Thing

It makes ZERO sense to me. Zero.

I was told RnRC would be re-themed to Guardians because, simply, the thought is no one gives a crap about Aerosmith anymore and it gives them a very, very easy and quick way to get Marvel into the park. The music tie-in is a perfect way to make it work. They have been looking to replace Aerosmith for years, and they finally have an opportunity - and one that costs them zero in licensing, too.

I was told nothing about WDW1974's info about ToT being converted, but it does seem to make some sense, I guess, if they are thinking about changing RnRC. I don't see where the tie-in would be between ToT and GotG, but it is obvious someone in Glendale is working on it and it's a HUGE coincidence.

That's a far cry from changing the entire Hollywood Blvd. to a GotG theme, though. I imagine, if it happens at all, it would just be one or both of those attractions, and nothing else.
Since I haven't seen anything in any thread surrounding this question: Do you or anyone else have a timeline (for instance would this be a 2017 project? Done before year's end?) for when this would happen should it come into fruition?

IMDREW

Couldn't it be possible that they keep the muppets area for now and that when Toy Story Land opens (before SWL), they'll get rid of the muppets and connect the (still under construction) SWL to Star Tours? So SWL will include the Muppets Courtyard area and ST at the end, but for now they need the Muppets for the large crowds but they won't when TSL opens. That way TMC won't be an Island and ST will be in SWL. I hope I make sense, sorry English not my first language.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom