Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Monoblanco13

So SWL is going to be in SOA correct? Wouldn't that mean Phase 3 would be the LMA area? Or does everyone now believe phase 3 to be off the table completely? As much as I would want a phase 3 or 4 I had always figured they wouldn't happen unfortunately.

SCOTLORR

So SWL is going to be in SOA correct? Wouldn't that mean Phase 3 would be the LMA area? Or does everyone now believe phase 3 to be off the table completely? As much as I would want a phase 3 or 4 I had always figured they wouldn't happen unfortunately.
In order for SWL to have the 14 acre space it was said to have, it would need both SOA and LMA, with the leftover 4 acres or so there needed for staging for both SWL and TSL. IMO, for such a small space, they should just dedicate it to future Star Wars expansion rather than use it on a small scale phase 3.

djkidkaz

I think we have to remember that SWL is presumably splitting the cost on everything between us and DL. That should help to stretch the approved budget for studios even further. If all they were doing was building TSL, a parking garage and splitting some of the cost of SWL I can't imagine that would equate to $2.3 billion or whatever the number was. I don't think universal is going to let up any time soon. This is there chance to truly make a difference in what their future in Orlando tourism is going to be. With sea world still struggling over blackfish, Disney being cheap and lazy for so many years, this is it for them. They have new attractions, a new water park and resorts as well as the new land they purchased. Disney needs to knock this studios redo out of the park, no pun intended.

jt04

I think he was talking about the current ride line-up and including ToT, RNRC and TSMM as E's, but I could be wrong.

If that's what he meant, he's not wrong per say (although TSMM is a D). Although the park only has 5 rides, every ride in the park currently is a great experience and all D's or E's. Also, arguably EVERY RIDE can give you a slightly different experience for multiple re-rides.

The problem with the park has just been lack of investment.

True, which is why they are addressing it.The 3 e-tickets I was referring to will be in SWL. ST, Millennium Falcon, and the new dark ride.

SCOTLORR

I have a question regarding a potential Indy mini land. Would they re-theme the stunt show to a less movie-making standpoint? I enjoy the stunt show, I just think the theme of the new park wouldn't warrant that type of show.

jt04

I have a question regarding a potential Indy mini land. Would they re-theme the stunt show to a less movie-making standpoint? I enjoy the stunt show, I just think the theme of the new park wouldn't warrant that type of show.

I have always thought Indy has a destiny outside the studios if they ever do such a thing.

MK, DAK, and World Showcase could all offer better theming.

SCOTLORR

I have always thought Indy has a destiny outside the studios if they ever do such a thing.

MK, DAK, and World Showcase could all offer better theming.
Adventure Land would probably work, but chances are if they wanted to use Indy anywhere, it would be in DHS, just cause it needs a lot more than MK obviously. Id really welcome a mini Indy land as it would allow Echo Lake to be kept as a buffering area between Hollywood and lands based on movies. While Id love to see a brand new ride, I wouldn't be surprised if they just re-imagined IJESS, re-themed backlot express to an Indy QS and re-themed Star tours. If it means we get more of a pixar presence over at Animation Courtyard, I would be fine with it.

jt04

Adventure Land would probably work, but chances are if they wanted to use Indy anywhere, it would be in DHS, just cause it needs a lot more than MK obviously. Id really welcome a mini Indy land as it would allow Echo Lake to be kept as a buffering area between Hollywood and lands based on movies. While Id love to see a brand new ride, I wouldn't be surprised if they just re-imagined IJESS, re-themed backlot express to an Indy QS and re-themed Star tours. If it means we get more of a pixar presence over at Animation Courtyard, I would be fine with it.

I am guessing they are having this exact discussion. My guess is that SWL will max out the studios capacity. Adding an Indy ride would possibly be too much.

Mike S

In order for SWL to have the 14 acre space it was said to have, it would need both SOA and LMA, with the leftover 4 acres or so there needed for staging for both SWL and TSL. IMO, for such a small space, they should just dedicate it to future Star Wars expansion rather than use it on a small scale phase 3.
Phase 3 should be Indiana Jones. Revamp the stunt show to move away from making movies and add a ride.

Or build the Lost Expedition in Adventureland for MK's 50th. That would work too ;)

*Q*

I agree with this completely. I'm afraid Star Tours days are very numbered.

I would think they would want to keep Star Tours purely for its use as a promotional vessel for each new movie. The new land will be themed to the new trilogy, but it doesn't seem to me like either of the new rides will have the ability to plug in content and whole scenes that represent whatever they come out with, whether it's set in Republic, Empire, or First Order eras. Star Tours offers a lot of versatility in that regard.

That just made me think of a question, did the studio marketing department pay for the new Force Awakens content in Star Tours the way they pay for the Monorail wraps and such?

Mike S

I would think they would want to keep Star Tours purely for its use as a promotional vessel for each new movie. The new land will be themed to the new trilogy, but it doesn't seem to me like either of the new rides will have the ability to plug in content and whole scenes that represent whatever they come out with, whether it's set in Republic, Empire, or First Order eras. Star Tours offers a lot of versatility in that regard.

That just made me think of a question, did the studio marketing department pay for the new Force Awakens content in Star Tours the way they pay for the Monorail wraps and such?
Star Tours is pretty much just like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, a "greatest hits" ride. It's not supposed to make sense in the official series canon, just sit back and enjoy :)

*Q*

Star Tours is pretty much just like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, a "greatest hits" ride. It's not supposed to make sense in the official series canon, just sit back and enjoy :)

Yeah, exactly, that's why it's so easy to plug-and-play new scenes from whatever movie, and I think that's why it would still be popular after the new rides open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom