Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BrianLo

I thought that DL was rumored to get the Iron Man overlay. That can't be done at DHS, so that leaves Star Tours open for a unique/different IP. I just don't see a good fit currently.

But if what DL gets is the Iron Man ride, they're going to be forced to doing something else at DHS. Doesn't matter how much cheaper it is if it goes against a contract.

I don't know if that was every actually a rumor, or just armchair Imagineering.

i think rumors based off of assumptions

I harp on this seemingly every ten pages of this thread.

There are many, many reasons it isn't being considered. The primary one and the only one that matters - it's a 5 year exclusive for HK. That now will seemingly take us through late 2021 if not 2022 at the rate they are building the attraction in HKDL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The side of Premiere would have run right to left from the front to the back behind the "service station" shack. MuppetVisions back is off to the right of the photo (the demolition photo)

R2 is stood at the end of the San Fransisco side st. The big gap would have had the facade. The main park entrance road is in the back running across the photo.

PizzaPlanet

I harp on this seemingly every ten pages of this thread.

There are many, many reasons it isn't being considered. The primary one and the only one that matters - it's a 5 year exclusive for HK. That now will seemingly take us through late 2021 if not 2022 at the rate they are building the attraction in HKDL.
Also, the ride takes place in Hong Kong. This would make no sense in DL.

BrianLo

So was @Ignohippo plan something that was considered, or was it just bad information.

View attachment 137743

I've given this a lot of thought too. I think the plans he was privy to were the ones rejected by the BoD. The ones that would have occurred in Tomorrowland at DL. It would make sense why he was so tepid on the rides, which wasn't really in keeping with what we know of them.

Nothing about 'spend more, spend more' that was mandated by Iger and the BoD at the time is consistent with reusing a ton of buildings.

BrianLo

How about they do the right thing and drop all this Chapek driven makeover nonsense and build new rides for their beloved IPs properly. Like they used to. GotG. Big6. Zooptopia. Wall-E. Each gets its own unique, purpose built attraction.

Sadly it's too late for Frozen.

What are the chances of this happening? (honest question)

Probably more chance of Horizons being rebuilt.

Unless you cross the Pacific. ;)

I think if we see Zootopia done properly anywhere, it will be at SDL.

Wikkler

AK needed an Expansion/improvement more despite how Future World is currently. Future World's problems was years in the making and Disney did have the priorities wrong in Epcot even before Rivers of the Light was announced for AK. Disney was responsible for adding a lot of food places in World Showcase including Spice Road Table when Future World had big problems. Epcot wasn't hurting for food places even before they did this.

As far as DHS does, you should blame Disney going with New Fantasy Land Expansion. Fantasyland and MK to me didn't need the expansion as much DHS did.

While DHS couldn't get Star Wars Land in 2009, the money could have went into the Pixar part of DHS. There actually is no reason why DHS didn't get a Toy Storyland before it was announced at 2015 D23. TDO also turned down the Monster Inc. Door Coaster also.
Ah. That explains a lot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes. It looks like the building in the right side of the picture is the facade next to the (now demolished) Premier Theater.

Edit: So R2 would be near the end of San Francisco street

r2.png

StreetsOfAmerica_04072016-5.jpg

R2 is the blue blob. His camera angle is the blue arrow. The demo photo camera position is the red arrow:

image.jpeg

SCOTLORR

\
The pic is at DHS. As I understand it, the reason Premiere is gone and LMA will be gone soon is that they will be covered with early construction of ride buildings by years-end.

This move puts WDW less than 6 months behind DL's construction time table (4 months actually).
Sooooo it's confirmed? SWL to LMA/SOA?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
\

Sooooo it's confirmed? SWL to LMA/SOA?

This picture doesn't actually add anything new to the conversation since when Disney announced the closing of LMA they said..

"In order to bring our new lands to life, the first steps of the expansion will be happening soon. We wanted to let you know that Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show and nearby locations around Streets of America will be closing on April 2, 2016"

With that said, I think I have finally come over to the Star Wars in LMA camp.

Wikkler

True. Of course my biggest fear is that echo lake turns into an entire ghost town. They close Indy and make that a special event venue and close Star Tours and leave it vacant. Then it's a whole land which even trumps a pavilion;)
River Country. Checkmate.
Also, the ride takes place in Hong Kong. This would make no sense in DL.
Tomorrowland's an easy retheme to Hong Kong. ;)

TP2000

This move puts WDW less than 6 months behind DL's construction time table (4 months actually).

I would love to know the official opening timetables for these two lands. I would think they would want them to open simultaneously. But what's the point of having one property (Disneyland) just four to six months ahead of the other property (DHS)? I don't understand that strategy.

Here's the current state of Star Wars Land demolition in Disneyland, with many original 1955 "backstage" buildings demolished and the original 1955 railroad berm deforested and being graded away. The buildings in the right foreground are next to be bulldozed this week, as that's the general location of the exterior queue and X-wing fighters for the "Battle Escape" E-Ticket, per the maps available online.
IMG_3284-X3.jpg

It's very hard to tell what the current status of the DHS land is like. Doesn't anyone have a drone they can send up?!? Or has demolition at DHS really not yet begun anywhere except Catastrophe Canyon?

mikeh

It's very hard to tell what the current status of the DHS land is like. Doesn't anyone have a drone they can send up?!? Or has demolition at DHS really not yet begun anywhere except Catastrophe Canyon?

Someone sent a drone over Pandora and the video was removed from YouTube, so that might be out.

AFAIK, Catastrophe Canyon and Premier are leveled, with LMA demo starting yesterday?

doctornick

The pic is at DHS. As I understand it, the reason Premiere is gone and LMA will be gone soon is that they will be covered with early construction of ride buildings by years-end.

Interesting. DL is aiming for a late 2018 opening IIRC, so maybe that means first half 2019 for DHS?

clemmo

Next year will be more interesting when Iger takes the stage at D23 to give us even more goodies.
I'm honestly not expecting a ton of new announcements next year besides announced opening year/season for swl and tsl and more details on the lands themselves. I'm hoping they'll announce something else at dhs and start of a new era at Epcot but I'm not sure they'll be ready to. Not sure what else they'd talk about with no new park opening (maybe the frozen land and nfl Tokyo version but they may have there own d23 I'm not sure about them)

Mike S

I'm honestly not expecting a ton of new announcements next year besides announced opening year/season for swl and tsl and more details on the lands themselves. I'm hoping they'll announce something else at dhs and start of a new era at Epcot but I'm not sure they'll be ready to. Not sure what else they'd talk about with no new park opening (maybe the frozen land and nfl Tokyo version but they may have there own d23 I'm not sure about them)
I would love to actually be there for the full announcement of Tokyo's Frozen Land. Some snide comments as Disney suits walk by, praising the imagineers responsible for Tokyo, etc. Could be very fun indeed. I have a bit of a plan to go anyway so here's hoping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom