Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The ride system in spider man is just an EMV and screens. How is that impressive.

You gave Soarin a pass because it usese an "impressive and unparalleled piece of ride engineering technology". So does Spiderman, Spiderman does 3D from a moving perspective something that had never been done at that time and was quite a technological achievement.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I beg to differ

You clearly have a very different view of what makes a great ride from most people.

If Spiderman isn't a good ride (as opposed to you just not liking it), then how do you explain this....

Year Award Category Result Ref.
1999 Golden Ticket Award Best Indoor Attraction (non-coaster) 1st [48]
Golden Ticket Award Best Non-Coaster Ride 3rd
Ultimate Award Prototype Ride 1st [46]
Ultimate Award Thrill Ride 1st
Ultimate Award 3-D, Animatronic, Special Effects Attraction 1st
Ultimate Award We're Not Worthy 1st
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Non-Coaster Thrill Ride 1st
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Dark Ride 1st
Ultimate Award Cool Theme 3rd
2000 Thea Award Attraction 1st [45]
Golden Ticket Award Best Indoor Attraction (non-coaster) 1st [49]
Golden Ticket Award Best Non-Coaster Ride 1st
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Non-Coaster Thrill Ride 1st [50]
2001 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [51]
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Non-Coaster Thrill Ride 1st [52]
2002 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [53]
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Non-Coaster Thrill Ride 1st [54]
Theme Park Insider Best Attraction 1st [47]
2003 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [55]
Golden Ticket Award Best Non-Coaster Ride 2nd
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Dark Ride 1st [56]
Ultimate Award Favourite Overall Non-Coaster Thrill Ride 2nd
2004 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [57]
2005 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [58]
2006 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [59]
2007 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [60]
2008 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [61]
2009 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [62]
2010 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 1st [63]
2011 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 2nd [64]
2012 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 2nd [65]
2013 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 2nd [66]
2014 Golden Ticket Award Best Dark Ride 3rd [67]

Brian Swan

Can't do it in Disneyland either because the rides story specifically takes place in Hong Kong. It would have to be completely changed.
And Soarin' "takes place" entirely in CA, but it didn't stop them from cloning it in FL - only to have it become one of the most popular attractions in WDW...

KingOfEpicocity

You gave Soarin a pass because it usese an "impressive and unparalleled piece of ride engineering technology". So does Spiderman, Spiderman does 3D from a moving perspective something that had never been done at that time and was quite a technological achievement.

3Dscreenx
I'd love to see his excuses for King Kong when it opens.

It's either gonna be one short a** dark ride or another movie theater

Brian Swan

That is very true but nothing to do with timelines for SW construction.
Especially considering, assuming that the map overlays that Martin has posted are correct (and I have no reason to believe that they AREN'T correct), neither TSL nor SWL will be occupying the old BLT real estate. BLT tour closed because after they slashed the crap out of it to build the LMA space, it wasn't worth keeping open and it was finally euthanized...

Brian Swan

I am as well. I would be shocked if it leaves -- DHS needs the ride capacity and it's very likely to end up sensibly placed as part of the Star Wars area. All it would need is a new facade to fit in with the surroundings.

But all indications is that Disney is going for "immersive" with the new Star Wars area -- so you will be walking in a true land right out of the Star Wars saga. It's no problem making the outside of Star Tours fit that fine and the tour can easily leave from whatever unnamed planet is going to be the location for the new land. But what to do about the ride itself? If the "setting" is the timeframe of the current trilogy with fights between the First Order and the Resistance and a Millennium Falcon with a rectangular dish then the story of Star Tours doesn't fit* given that it is at the time right before A New Hope and has Darth Vader, Boba Fett, young Leia, a living Yoda, etc. and the Empire is after a Rebel spy.

*obviously, they've already messed up the timeframe of Star Tours with the new scene at Jakku with Finn. That's a whole other issue.

It almost makes me wonder about the rumors of Star Wars land going in the Catastophe Canyon/LMA area. I tend to think that they are silly and would ignore them, but maybe the timeframe issue is a concern to WDI and that might be a solution -- have Star Tours in a separate land, as it will be in DL. @marni1971 mentioned a possible additional Star Wars content for DHS, maybe this would be the idea? And it could work with putting a Jedi Academy near Star Tours (say, Sounds Dangerous?) where you could use a (living, not Force Ghost) Yoda as part of the performance. And in that land, you could have M&G or other attractions tailored to the original trilogy (Darth Vader, Boba Fett, etc.). So, you'd basically have two different Star Wars areas with different timeframes (and planets presumably) for settings.

Edit: OTOH, if they wanted to have Star Tours in the same land but make it fit the same timeline as the rest of the place, they'd have to change a lot of the scenes. I mean, you could keep most of the planets, but the dialogue would have to change and there couldn't be Darth Vader, Boba Fett, young Leia, Yoda, etc. The Stormtroopers would have to be changed to First Order ones. I wonder if they'd try to come up with some time travel element in the queue or something.
In all honesty, creating what amounts to 60 min (or less) of new CGI footage and reprogramming the motion base of the ST vehicles is pretty small potatoes compared to a $3 billion expansion; they did it for ST 2.0; ST 3.0 would be no more difficult...

Brian Swan

The only land to date that is open in any park that was a true land is Cars and Harry Potter.... Of these Harry Potter is the one that stands for a longer time thanks to the books. Cars may run its course but then what boy does not like a fast race car when they are young.

Every other ride or IP that is going into any park is just a show building and can be easily changed out or reused when the time comes it needs it.

People are so worried about 20 years but most rides need to be replaced after that amount of time to something new. Very few Peter Pan and small worlds and even ET that become classics that stay long long periods.
Not sure how you define "land"... But by almost any definition, DL's Toontown is a "land" with unique, consistent theming and an "immersive" experience. Although it's on a much smaller scale, I think Toontown comes a very close second to Carsland as being a detailed, consistent, immesrsive experience. And it's 100% Disney with no outside IPs...

No Name

Yes, but they talked about TSMM being part of Toy Story Land.

Yeah it's particularly concerning that they haven't touted that the land will have three rides, which would include Star Tours. They usually like to tout everything positive and ignore the negative aspects. So my only thought is that maybe since DL's land will not include Star Tours and both lands have always been talked about together, they didn't want to say "oh by the way Hollywod Studios's Star Wars Experience will have three rides while Disneyland's will have two" or something along those lines. Sunday's announcement wasn't the appopriate time to say that and they hopefully just want to avoid bringing attention to it.

It would really be stupid if either:

a) Star Wars land is not built adjacent to Star Tours. That would be weird, a star wars ride very close to the land but seperated by another attraction? At DL it's not as weird because the rides are on opposite sides of the park (and Star Tours may be rethemed in the future anyway).

b) they get rid of Star Tours. They'd have to be severely lacking brain cells to get rid of a recently upgraded ride that people generally enjoy, to then spend money on a new one, especially in a park that really needs more. And if the new Millenium Falcon ride is 100% simulator, then that would be the pinnacle of stupidity.

Overall I am confident A or B is not happening but it's isn't hard to imagine Disney screwing up somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom