Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

lazyboy97o

That makes sense. I guess the upside of the DLR SWL being done first is it will give you an idea of what to expect for DHS. And the fan base will give them feedback on what they like or disliked - maybe they can correct whatever problems for the DHS project. Thank again for feedback.
It is doubtful there will be any correcting. The two lands are supposed to be identical and not in the slightly different but same big ideas/experiences way that has been done in the past.

AEfx

so avatar nearly doubling the avengers home market was because of wal mart deals? in the words of chris carter "come on man"

Yes, exactly. Wal-mart does deals like that all the time that have similar results. Most recently with Adelle. There are somewhere around 4600 Wal-mart stores in the US, 90% of Americans live within 15 minutes of one, and where 100,000,000 people shop weekly - yes, when they make a promotional deal and put a pallet of something square in middle of the front entrance of each and every store and discount it by 50% over it's going retail price (and only 1/3 of it's MSRP) - yes, yes that does have quite an impact.

dizda

It is doubtful there will be any correcting. The two lands are supposed to be identical and not in the slightly different but same big ideas/experiences way that has been done in the past.
I could see a few small tweaks (such as with Launch Bay) based on initial reactions and a few details being different (mostly because of park geography), but I agree that the two lands will be pretty much identical.

dizda

so avatar nearly doubling the avengers home market was because of wal mart deals? in the words of chris carter "come on man"
i do agree avatar is out of the the public eye but it did well because people literally wanted to escape to pandora the place...DAK is about environments not characters
thats why i think the land will be a home run, people want to escape...is it star wars or HP of course not but DAK needs this for the nighttime aspect
i like TFA but you have to admit the similarities to EP 4 are huge

anyways sorry for the thread drift
The lasting cultural impact of the Avatar movie will not really matter if Avatar Land is well done. Perhaps the best example of this principle is Splash Mountain. Disney will not even let people see Song of the South these days, but the ride is a classic and is still popular.

EngineJoe

That's the point. It had almost no lasting cultural impact whatsoever. I'm willing to bet a good number of those sites would now throw an error message should one want to attempt to find them again, as their internet bills are likely long unpaid.

Yes, it was a bright flash in the pan - but the point is, it had no reverberation within popular culture after it departed.
That's the point. It had almost no lasting cultural impact whatsoever. I'm willing to bet a good number of those sites would now throw an error message should one want to attempt to find them again, as their internet bills are likely long unpaid.

Yes, it was a bright flash in the pan - but the point is, it had no reverberation within popular culture after it departed.

You could make the same arguement for Abrams TFA. Disney powered it through with it's vast marketing and resources but it has almost no cultural impact whatsoever. Certainly doesn't have the impact of George Lucas' New Hope and will likely be soon forgotten and criticized. Even Phantom Menace was critcally acclaimed and praised when it first came out. It was only years later that the kid, Jake Llyod and the movie started to get criticized.

Cesar R M

This is an insult to the intelligence of every person who has seen the movie. YOUR movie that YOU like is far superior to what the vast majority of people liked. Your smarter than the unwashed masses, and you just can't figure out why those less intelligent would waste their money.

You like something differrnt, good for you, that doesn't make the rest of us idiots. Personally, I can't stand the HP series. Time will tell if it has the staying power, or not. Come out with a continuing story 35 years from now and see if it does well. Very, very few movies would. I am a passionate star trek fan, but even with the reboots, I don't thint it has anywhere near the staying power of star wars.

10 years after HPs last movie, will it still have the same power with the general public. Fans will always be there, but the me parks need more than just fans to thrive.
I have a few words..
the Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS franchise.

I REST MY CASE.

Cesar R M

Your run of the mill block buster just broke the 1Billion dollar mark worldwide in record time.....

So does this mean we need to redefine "run of the mill" or should we put crow on the menu?
I think you're confusing Quality vs popularity.

The new movie had a giant hype thanks to older actors resurfacing.. the huge media by Disney.
Using this director (who is also well known)...
It was a perfect trifecta sponsored pull with added expectations of both hungry fans of the old.. and new fans who were disappointed by the prequels.

As I said before,a fine example of TRASH making lots of money..

the Transformers Franchise.

Cesar R M

After the final run of the Osborne Lights next week (yes, NEXT WEEK, no more lights). How soon after, I don't know.
I hope to see it in DHS right before its shutdown..

I also hope to see soarin before they close it down for refurb.

fingers closed.. hoping that mymagic doesnt crash in the worst minute and lose my FP+s or ressies.

Maybe not now, but at the time it was all anyone talked about. Websites were even devoted to speaking the Navi language. I loved the movie myself, and I saw it a couple of times in theatres. It's a groundbreaking movie visually. I'm just not so sure it's worth devoting an entire area of a Disney Park to it. It's one of those movies that are great experiences in the box office, but aren't watched at home. I might have seen it twice since on television, haha.
lol, I still remember when these crazy dudes starting claiming they were na'vi s and trying to go full "wild with respect of nature".

But I still agree.. Avatar was a gigantic step up in CGI and creation world.
Was one of the first movies to have that intelligent active motion detection in 3d.

Also, wasnt cameron the one who designed the specialized 3d digital cameras?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That makes sense. I guess the upside of the DLR SWL being done first is it will give you an idea of what to expect for DHS. And the fan base will give them feedback on what they like or disliked - maybe they can correct whatever problems for the DHS project. Thank again for feedback.
There won't be any time for feedback. They'll be built almost concurrently.

Matt_Black

You could make the same arguement for Abrams TFA. Disney powered it through with it's vast marketing and resources but it has almost no cultural impact whatsoever. Certainly doesn't have the impact of George Lucas' New Hope and will likely be soon forgotten and criticized. Even Phantom Menace was critcally acclaimed and praised when it first came out. It was only years later that the kid, Jake Llyod and the movie started to get criticized.

It's only been out for a week and a half!

FrankLapidus

No you couldn't.

The reason its made so much money is because its already part of the biggest cultural phenomenon in history, just by virtue of being a Star Wars film means it has made, and will continue to make, a huge cultural impact.

And it will "likely be soon forgotten"? Come on,surely you don't actually believe that the first part of a new Star Wars trilogy is going to be forgotten? Even if the film does get criticised further down the line, and I'm really not so sure that it will be to the extent that some here seem to hope, its not going to be another Phantom Menace for the simple reason that its a better film.

When all is said and done The Force Awakens has done its job, its put the franchise back on track and set things up nicely for Episode 8. I think its a brilliant film but regardless of anyone's opinion of it it has unquestionably made a cultural impact.

doctornick

You could make the same arguement for Abrams TFA. Disney powered it through with it's vast marketing and resources but it has almost no cultural impact whatsoever.

Um, it's like 11 days into the release. Could you define or describe what a movie that has made a "cultural impact" would look like this early into its release and indicate how TFA fails to meet such standards?

I think it would be hard to imagine a film that has entered public consciousness so readily and so diffusely as The Force Awakens has. The movie has its flaws but it's certainly taking up a huge part of the entertainment/pop culture news right now.

doctornick

Is there any evidence that DL's Star Wars land will be "done first"? DL is starting construction first, as there is a ton more prep work that needs to be done (filling in part of the RoA, redirecting the railroad, moving backstage support) for that park than for DHS. But the actual lands are being designed and built simultaneously and (as far as I can tell) are expected to open in a similar timeframe -- sometime in 2019 seems to be the target.

OvertheHorizon

With STAR WARS you now have cross-generational cultural impact. I saw the film yesterday (for the second time). I was 31 when the original STAR WARS movie was released. I was sitting next to a family with a kid who was 11 or 12. Based on his reactions as characters from the original films appeared, it is clear that these movies appeal to the broadest possible audience.

tokengator

Star Wars: The Force Awakens' makes $1 billion in a record 12 days

Disney (DIS) said Sunday that its blockbuster broke the $1 billion mark around the world faster than any other film in history.

The sci-fi adventure movie reached the milestone 12 days after its global release. That is one day earlier than the previous record holder -- Universal's "Jurassic World," which was released earlier this year.

The seventh film in the "Star Wars" saga has made $544.5 million in the U.S.

After only 10 days, it is the fifth biggest film in U.S. box office history.

"The Force Awakens" made $1 billion in half the time it took another Disney hit franchise, Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron," to do so this summer.

The film also just had the best Christmas day at the box office, and it captured the biggest second weekend, raking in $153.5 million.

"The Force Awakens" has also won accolades with fans and critics. It holds a 94% score on review site RottenTomatoes.com and has even garnered some Oscar buzz.

The world domination of "The Force Awakens" is far from over, however.
The film has yet to open in China, the second biggest film market in the world. It will open there on January 9.

JediMasterMatt

No cultural impact, huh? Go to any showing of TFA (as long as there is an empty seat, it's still somewhat challenging to find tickets in some locations) and wait until John Williams' Burning Homestead theme kicks in and turn your head and find the eyes of any child, preferably a young girl, and come back and tell us if there is no cultural impact. Rey in the last week and a half has inspired an entire new generation of young people (especially young women) and opened their eyes to all the endless possibilities of their own hero's journeys that lay ahead of them. Just like it did for countless children in 1977 when that theme played for Luke. Accepting the call is something every generation can relate to.

Oh... and btw... thank George Lucas for that. Not JJ or even Lawrence Kasdan. The female lead for the sequel trilogy was from his original outline.

The Phantom Menace didn't open to universal acclaim. It was tepid reviews at best

There won't be any time for feedback. They'll be built almost concurrently.

Is there any evidence that DL's Star Wars land will be "done first"? DL is starting construction first, as there is a ton more prep work that needs to be done (filling in part of the RoA, redirecting the railroad, moving backstage support) for that park than for DHS. But the actual lands are being designed and built simultaneously and (as far as I can tell) are expected to open in a similar timeframe -- sometime in 2019 seems to be the target.

Although both DL and DHS will be under construction at the same time and that will prevent any on the fly feedback, DL's SWL should be online first. DHS's has too many contingencies (parking garage, TSL, etc) that will slow it down.

The good news is that since it's being designed for DL, there won't be as many value engineering opportunities in Orlando.

EngineJoe

No cultural impact, huh? Go to any showing of TFA (as long as there is an empty seat, it's still somewhat challenging to find tickets in some locations) and wait until John Williams' Burning Homestead theme kicks in and turn your head and find the eyes of any child, preferably a young girl, and come back and tell us if there is no cultural impact. Rey in the last week and a half has inspired an entire new generation of young people (especially young women) and opened their eyes to all the endless possibilities of their own hero's journeys that lay ahead of them. Just like it did for countless children in 1977 when that theme played for Luke. Accepting the call is something every generation can relate to.

Oh... and btw... thank George Lucas for that. Not JJ or even Lawrence Kasdan. The female lead for the sequel trilogy was from his original outline.

The Phantom Menace didn't open to universal acclaim. It was tepid reviews at best

Although both DL and DHS will be under construction at the same time and that will prevent any on the fly feedback, DL's SWL should be online first. DHS's has too many contingencies (parking garage, TSL, etc) that will slow it down.

The good news is that since it's being designed for DL, there won't be as many value engineering opportunities in Orlando.

Incorrect. Everyone was praising Phantom Menace like no tommorow and saying see it made alot of money so it must be good.

EngineJoe

No you couldn't.

The reason its made so much money is because its already part of the biggest cultural phenomenon in history, just by virtue of being a Star Wars film means it has made, and will continue to make, a huge cultural impact.

And it will "likely be soon forgotten"? Come on,surely you don't actually believe that the first part of a new Star Wars trilogy is going to be forgotten? Even if the film does get criticised further down the line, and I'm really not so sure that it will be to the extent that some here seem to hope, its not going to be another Phantom Menace for the simple reason that its a better film.

When all is said and done The Force Awakens has done its job, its put the franchise back on track and set things up nicely for Episode 8. I think its a brilliant film but regardless of anyone's opinion of it it has unquestionably made a cultural impact.

Yes it will. In the same way that you said that "Avatar" will be soon forgotten.

George Lucas' New Hope is the cultural phenomenon, not JJ Abrams TFA reboot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom