Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

AmUK

Once all the hype has died down, 'The Force Awakens' will be judged for what it is - a rather run of the mill blockbuster movie, that essentially plays it safe and re-tells the same story over again. It's by no means a classic.

I think all concerned with Disney will take this, as it was vitally important it wasn't a disaster, which it certainly isn't - and was guaranteed to make alot of money. J.J. Abrams was always a safe pair of hands, but he's by no means a visionary director in the mould of Speilberg, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Nolan, the late Kubrik, etc

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Once all the hype has died down, 'The Force Awakens' will be judged for what it is - a rather run of the mill blockbuster movie, that essentially plays it safe and re-tells the same story over again. It's by no means a classic.
Your run of the mill block buster just broke the 1Billion dollar mark worldwide in record time.....

So does this mean we need to redefine "run of the mill" or should we put crow on the menu?

Incomudro

Harry Potter isn't cool.
It just isn't.
Universal did a great job on the attractions, (Though I have yet to see them in person.) but HP in general is just uncool.
Yes, Star Wars has it's share of geekiness, but magic wands and flying on brooms can't compare to light sabers and flying the Millenium Falcon.

Jones14

As everyone continues throwing tables at one another, I'd like to throw out the fact that the arcs of Star Wars and Harry Potter are both heavily based on the hero myth. They are, at their basic tenets, the same story. It's all about mixing and matching characters, locations, timelines, order of events, etc. to create "new" material.

Are A New Hope and The Force Awakens the same story? Yes. But so is Harry Potter, and The Lion King takes the same elements and mixes up the order. Is one too derivative of another? That's up to personal opinion, but let's not throw out accusations of unoriginality without remembering that there's only so many feasible ways to spin a plot.

Turtle

Wondered that too, but the concept art for a catina didn't particularly look like the movie. Of course, that doesn't rule anything out.
The concept art of the cantina showed at D23 is really just rejected concept art for FORCE AWAKENS that was thrown into the announcement presentation last minute.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As everyone continues throwing tables at one another, I'd like to throw out the fact that the arcs of Star Wars and Harry Potter are both heavily based on the hero myth. They are, at their basic tenets, the same story. It's all about mixing and matching characters, locations, timelines, order of events, etc. to create "new" material.

Are A New Hope and The Force Awakens the same story? Yes. But so is Harry Potter, and The Lion King takes the same elements and mixes up the order. Is one too derivative of another? That's up to personal opinion, but let's not throw out accusations of unoriginality without remembering that there's only so many feasible ways to spin a plot.

I loved Force Awakens, saw it twice already, but I have to admit that the similarities go beyond the basic Hero's Journey story structure. I am actually ok with the similarities, but I will not be as happy if the next two movies follow that pattern.

twebber55

I loved Force Awakens, saw it twice already, but I have to admit that the similarities go beyond the basic Hero's Journey story structure. I am actually ok with the similarities, but I will not be as happy if the next two movies follow that pattern.
i find it interesting that some people are very willing to forgive unoriginal content for one film and turn around and slam another film for lacking originality
not saying you are doing that but i see this on this and other web sites

barkerbird

You could say the same about Avatar. It's the basic story of cowboys and Indians. It's how the story is told that makes it compelling. James Cameron is a genius, which is why that story is the best selling movie.

The fact is: The first trilogy was so successful and because the original cast returned, there's no way TFA wouldn't dominate the box office. Tell me If they didn't made Back to the Future IV with the original cast it would gross just as much..

This is the sequel people have waited for since 1983. Yet, it's closer to a remake than a sequel. Hyped right before Christmas to sell as many toys as possible. It's just like Episode IV..

AEfx

You could say the same about Avatar. It's the basic story of cowboys and Indians. It's how the story is told that makes it compelling. James Cameron is a genius, which is why that story is the best selling movie.

Avatar's story made it compelling? Try asking random people - who saw the film in 2009 - today what the heck it was about, or even if they could name a single character, quote a single line, etc. - the vast majority could not. The reason it was a hit film was because of the 3D aspect - and a very low competition box office period.

The fact is: The first trilogy was so successful and because the original cast returned, there's no way TFA wouldn't dominate the box office. Tell me If they didn't made Back to the Future IV with the original cast it would gross just as much..

No, not so much. A lot? Yes, but BTTF, as beloved as it has become, is no Star Wars.

This is the sequel people have waited for since 1983. Yet, it's closer to a remake than a sequel. Hyped right before Christmas to sell as many toys as possible. It's just like Episode IV..

The remake thing is simply a joke. It's like no one ever heard of parallel, generational stories before. It's what Lucas tried to do with the prequels (though failed miserably, so I can see why some folks wouldn't know that).

I think folks have kind of forgotten just what The Force was all about. Aside from the "gee whiz shiny!" acrobatics and fancy laser sword battles, at it's core it's another fate/karma/time correction device that is responsible for the entire set-up of the original film. When people talk about too many coincidences in TFA, I'm like...you haven't actually watched Star Wars in a long time, have ya, LOL. Or, have watched it so many times you can't see the sparse trees that are really there, that only became a Forrest with all the ancillary merchandise, etc.

All that said - given how famously they decided so late in the game to make toys that kids had to get certificates for Christmas in order to actually get the figures six months later, your final comparison really doesn't apply, either.

twebber55

Avatar's story made it compelling? Try asking random people - who saw the film in 2009 - today what the heck it was about, or even if they could name a single character, quote a single line, etc. - the vast majority could not. The reason it was a hit film was because of the 3D aspect - and a very low competition box office period.

No, not so much. A lot? Yes, but BTTF, as beloved as it has become, is no Star Wars.

The remake thing is simply a joke. It's like no one ever heard of parallel, generational stories before. It's what Lucas tried to do with the prequels (though failed miserably, so I can see why some folks wouldn't know that).

I think folks have kind of forgotten just what The Force was all about. Aside from the "gee whiz shiny!" acrobatics and fancy laser sword battles, at it's core it's another fate/karma/time correction device that is responsible for the entire set-up of the original film. When people talk about too many coincidences in TFA, I'm like...you haven't actually watched Star Wars in a long time, have ya, LOL. Or, have watched it so many times you can't see the sparse trees that are really there, that only became a Forrest with all the ancillary merchandise, etc.

All that said - given how famously they decided so late in the game to make toys that kids had to get certificates for Christmas in order to actually get the figures six months later, your final comparison really doesn't apply, either.

well i agree in terms of characters you re right but if you show someone a picture of the floating mountains they would immediately know what you re talking about...you re oversimplifying the success of avatar or else the the home market would not have been so successful
obviously its no star wars, nothing is, but thats ok it doesn't diminish the success of avatar
i saw TFA liked it didnt love it but you have to admit there is little new content and it comes across like EP4 which is ok thats what the folks wanted, obviously

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I think all concerned with Disney will take this, as it was vitally important it wasn't a disaster, which it certainly isn't - and was guaranteed to make alot of money. J.J. Abrams was always a safe pair of hands, but he's by no means a visionary director in the mould of Speilberg, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Nolan, the late Kubrik, etc
Do you like ANYTHING at all?

Do you ever not complain about something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom