Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JohnD

i predict that 100 years from now, more people will be reading Potter than watching Ep. 1-6.

That's because the HP movies were based on literary novels. The SW episodes are nothing but movies. I love SW (let down by prequels) but I'm comfortable with that. Anything to get people to read. Stimulates the brain more anyway.

Last edited:

JohnD

Well considering the Harry Potter series are among the best selling books of all time I think you are underestimating their chances of success.

The problem with the live Hobbit movies were they took what was one book and extended it out to 3 books to make more money. That and too much CGI. Really all that was necessary was one movie and I think the cartoon Hobbit movie was better than Jackson's 3 movie trilogy. I also think that Martin Freeman was the wrong choice for the lead. You need someone charismatic and captivating to lead you through 3 movies and I just don't think he had that energy or draw that Elijah Wood and Viggo Mortensen brought to the first movie.

Agree with most of your point. The gremlin elves in the cartoon were unforgivable. I could maybe see two movies for The Hobbit, not three. Seriously, the theatrical were way too long and they want us to purchase the expanded editions?

JohnD

Your run of the mill block buster just broke the 1Billion dollar mark worldwide in record time.....

So does this mean we need to redefine "run of the mill" or should we put crow on the menu?

Yeah, but the $1B take was a result of a hunger to see the next SW movie. It isn't indicative of how good it is. I liked it too but it's hardly Oscar caliber either. I saw similarities with EpIV also (desert planet, droid carries secret files, planet destroyer, etc). I still enjoyed it.

boufa

It should be pointed out there ultimately is only a few differnt stories, and mostly every movie falls into one of the basic categories. 99% of movies are re-telling the same basic story...

You have...(to name a few)
- The odd couple.. place different people together and see what happens.
- The fish out of water... take someone and put them in a place they are not normally, and see what happens

There is also a theory on the 7 basic stories. And every story falls into one or more of these stories. Its how the story is presented, and how you buy into the characters, that makes the difference. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots)

So when do we think we will start seeing either demolition or construction?!?

JohnD

It should be pointed out there ultimately is only a few differnt stories, and mostly every movie falls into one of the basic categories. 99% of movies are re-telling the same basic story...

You have...(to name a few)
- The odd couple.. place different people together and see what happens.
- The fish out of water... take someone and put them in a place they are not normally, and see what happens

There is also a theory on the 7 basic stories. And every story falls into one or more of these stories. Its how the story is presented, and how you buy into the characters, that makes the difference. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots)

So when do we think we will start seeing either demolition or construction?!?

After the final run of the Osborne Lights next week (yes, NEXT WEEK, no more lights). How soon after, I don't know.

boufa

Yeah, but the $1B take was a result of a hunger to see the next SW movie. It isn't indicative of how good it is. I liked it too but it's hardly Oscar caliber either. I saw similarities with EpIV also (desert planet, droid carries secret files, planet destroyer, etc). I still enjoyed it.

"I still enjoyed it" is 1000000% more important than any Oscar in the world. I have seen many oscar winners, and the majority of them are terrible to me. Then again, I cant wait to see "Slumdog Millionaire Land" get built somewhere.

HauntedMansionFLA

Crazy question: DLR's SWL is scheduled to start soon and they to be done at the end of 2017. Why can't there been something announced for DHS regarding timeline. At least say TSL needs to be completed first and g
I've a deadline for it. I hope once the Osborne Ligts are gone for good that they start to make a move

dreamscometrue

Crazy question: DLR's SWL is scheduled to start soon and they to be done at the end of 2017. Why can't there been something announced for DHS regarding timeline. At least say TSL needs to be completed first and g
I've a deadline for it. I hope once the Osborne Ligts are gone for good that they start to make a move
You mean done in 2019?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I believe Disney has officially announced the construction on both will start 2016, but they haven't announced an official opening date for either.

AEfx

well i agree in terms of characters you re right but if you show someone a picture of the floating mountains they would immediately know what you re talking about...you re oversimplifying the success of avatar or else the the home market would not have been so successful
obviously its no star wars, nothing is, but thats ok it doesn't diminish the success of avatar

Sorry, I just can't agree with that. In terms of cultural impact, Avatar has has almost no reverberating effect on popular culture. The "home market" was propped up by Wal-mart making deals with the distributor which had an entire pallet of Avatar discs sat at the entrance to every Wal-mart in the country priced at $9.99.

Besides the fact that the entire thing was just so bland and derivative, it was almost like Cameron was in on the joke himself by naming it such a generic name as "Avatar". It's not even unique in current popular culture IP's - McDonalds had Avatar toys a few months back, but not that Avatar.

barkerbird

Sorry, I just can't agree with that. In terms of cultural impact, Avatar has has almost no reverberating effect on popular culture. The "home market" was propped up by Wal-mart making deals with the distributor which had an entire pallet of Avatar discs sat at the entrance to every Wal-mart in the country priced at $9.99.

Besides the fact that the entire thing was just so bland and derivative, it was almost like Cameron was in on the joke himself by naming it such a generic name as "Avatar". It's not even unique in current popular culture IP's - McDonalds had Avatar toys a few months back, but not that Avatar.
Maybe not now, but at the time it was all anyone talked about. Websites were even devoted to speaking the Navi language. I loved the movie myself, and I saw it a couple of times in theatres. It's a groundbreaking movie visually. I'm just not so sure it's worth devoting an entire area of a Disney Park to it. It's one of those movies that are great experiences in the box office, but aren't watched at home. I might have seen it twice since on television, haha.

AEfx

Maybe not now, but at the time it was all anyone talked about. Websites were even devoted to speaking the Navi language.

That's the point. It had almost no lasting cultural impact whatsoever. I'm willing to bet a good number of those sites would now throw an error message should one want to attempt to find them again, as their internet bills are likely long unpaid.

Yes, it was a bright flash in the pan - but the point is, it had no reverberation within popular culture after it departed.

twebber55

so avatar nearly doubling the avengers home market was because of wal mart deals? in the words of chris carter "come on man"
i do agree avatar is out of the the public eye but it did well because people literally wanted to escape to pandora the place...DAK is about environments not characters
thats why i think the land will be a home run, people want to escape...is it star wars or HP of course not but DAK needs this for the nighttime aspect
i like TFA but you have to admit the similarities to EP 4 are huge

anyways sorry for the thread drift

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
That's the point. It had almost no lasting cultural impact whatsoever. I'm willing to bet a good number of those sites would now throw an error message should one want to attempt to find them again, as their internet bills are likely long unpaid.

Yes, it was a bright flash in the pan - but the point is, it had no reverberation within popular culture after it departed.

http://learnnavi.org/

Still works...

*1023*

lazyboy97o

There is a lot more work intensive preparation required at Disneyland.

HauntedMansionFLA

There is a lot more work intensive preparation required at Disneyland.
That makes sense. I guess the upside of the DLR SWL being done first is it will give you an idea of what to expect for DHS. And the fan base will give them feedback on what they like or disliked - maybe they can correct whatever problems for the DHS project. Thank again for feedback.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom