Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PhotoDave219

Has there been any speculation/confirmation, after having seen the movie, as to which planet SWL will be based on? I know it's been said it will be based on the new trilogy for the most part. After seeing TFA, there are two potential planets in my mind, if it's based on Episode VII.

Nooooooo idea.

That being said? I'm completely fine with incorporating worlds from the new movie. It passes the test.

AEfx

Nooooooo idea.

That being said? I'm completely fine with incorporating worlds from the new movie. It passes the test.

I was under the impression from the initial reports from D23 that it was to be a unique location - not in the films. I expected it to be referenced, or somehow worked in somewhere in the "new" EU - but I don't think it's a place we will actually go, at least in the Episode numbered films.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was under the impression from the initial reports from D23 that it was to be a unique location - not in the films. I expected it to be referenced, or somehow worked in somewhere in the "new" EU - but I don't think it's a place we will actually go, at least in the Episode numbered films.

The post on the Disney Parks Blog said "transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space". That could have been interpreted as a planet from the new films, or a totally unique one. The concept art doesn't match anything we saw in Ep 7, although the general appearance of the land does look like it could be Maz's planet.

AEfx

The post on the Disney Parks Blog said "transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space". That could have been interpreted as a planet from the new films, or a totally unique one. The concept art doesn't match anything we saw in Ep 7, although the general appearance of the land does look like it could be Maz's planet.

I remember that, but I also recall comments from one of the panel members clarifying it. Can't recall in more detail though...stuff was flying around such at the time. The impression I got was that it wasn't going to be an exact film location. But then again, who knows what may change.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember that, but I also recall comments from one of the panel members clarifying it. Can't recall in more detail though...stuff was flying around such at the time. The impression I got was that it wasn't going to be an exact film location. But then again, who knows what may change.

That was also the impression I got.

dizda

I don't believe for a moment they are going to build this. Not with Bob Iger in charge.

1) He will build a cheap Toy Story Land, complete with cheap generic coaster. Go youtube various Toy Story Lands in Paris and Hong Kong and look at how cheap they are. This will keep the masses happy.

2) He will keep insisting we are building Star Wars. Even at the next expo evvent, he will show some plans, but nothing more. Crowds will cheer.

3) Iger will leave with all profits high as he hasn't spent anything.

4) Next CEO will have to clear up the mess Iger has left.

Where is the construction, where are the plans? Nothing. DHS has been down for years now, and they have had the Star Wars franchise for nigh on 3 years.
Oh, Jordan, how you make me laugh. By the way, do you have wifi under your bridge?

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

I knew the franchise was huge, and I'm more excited for SW land than anything to do with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc., but I didn't know it was this big...
http://fortune.com/2015/12/24/star-wars-value-worth/
Interesting article, especially when compared to Potter. i was among the crowd who thought Potter was a huge loss for TWDC, but that was before the whole Star Wars purchase. One could argue that Star Wars has a much more expansive universe than Potter, and TWDC could just have been playing for the long term. I read somewhere that the plan is for a Star Wars movie a year, from now until forever. Potter does not provide that same sort of opportunity. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Classics seem to be the four pillars they will build around.

Disneyhead'71

Interesting article, especially when compared to Potter. i was among the crowd who thought Potter was a huge loss for TWDC, but that was before the whole Star Wars purchase. One could argue that Star Wars has a much more expansive universe than Potter, and TWDC could just have been playing for the long term. I read somewhere that the plan is for a Star Wars movie a year, from now until forever. Potter does not provide that same sort of opportunity. Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and Disney Classics seem to be the four pillars they will build around.
It was awfully nice of Disney to give Potter to Universal like that.

lazyboy97o

Nonsense. Disney was not banking on buying Lucasfilm several years down the road.

Cesar R M

technically, you could expand harry potter as well. Remember that the whole HP was focused in tiny parts of Europe with some scenes in other areas..
They could bring worldwide wizard stuff. like the adventures of Harry and Ron as Aurors. or the next franchise about magical creatures.

roj2323

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-star-wars-20151226-story.html

The article is interesting from a general perspective but two things stood out at me. One, Disneyland is closing 10 attractions all at the same time right after the holidays and two, construction on SWL is starting immediately.

Edit: feel free to move this. I had no idea of where to put it as there still isn't a DHS construction forum.

boufa

Nonsense. Disney was not banking on buying Lucasfilm several years down the road.
While I have no specifics to back this up (AKA Stop reading this post now) I have to wonder how long they were working on it. Its not like they went down to Film-Mart and saw a sale, so they bought it, and hoped the Wife wouldn't notice it when they got home. These things take time, and negotiation, analysis, and maneuvering. It certainly wasn't a quick decision. If it was even a consideration at the time when Harry Potter rights were up for purchase, I don't know.

Having said that... Lucasfilm was a huge buy in, not just theme park rights. They own the entire thing. It is difficult to compare them in any way. Now Avatar and Harry Potter are at least similar in scope, if not scale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom