Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PorterRedkey

While this is ONLY A RUMOR, I thought I would pass this along from Screamscape:

"I've been sent a fascinating new rumor regarding one of the new Star Wars Land attractions in development. So far, the only fact Disney has issued about the attraction concepts for the land is that guests will be placed in the actual cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in one of the main attractions. Today, one of our sources have sent in a little more information about the possible ride experience, though keep in mind that the attraction is still under design and a lot can change between now and when it opens.
That said, I'm told that guests will board a vehicle where it appears that they are sitting inside the cockpit of the Falcon. In reality, there will be several such vehicles (unseen) on a track layout, where the ship will take off and move into a large star field projection room at first. Eventually the cockpit ships will move into place behind an individual projection screen for the simulator/action portion of the ride. The way this will work was described to me as being similar to how Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey works during specific sections of that ride (see picture), where the individual rider pods are placed inside a projection dome that is mounted to a huge carousel structure. The projection domes and rider pods will move around the carousel in sync during these sections of the ride, where the guests may have some control over the action taking place and what the outcome will be.
If you watch the start of this video showing off the addition of a new Star Wars themed area on-board the Disney Dream cruise ship, you will see mockup of the Millennium Falcon cockpit that simulates space travel, that may give you a good visual as to what your ride on the Falcon could be like."

Here is the Sceamscape link:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland.htm#StarWars (scroll down to the bottom of the page)

This is a Disneyland rumor but since the rides are expected to be similar, if not the same, I though I would post it here.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

"I've been sent a fascinating new rumor regarding one of the new Star Wars Land attractions in development. So far, the only fact Disney has issued about the attraction concepts for the land is that guests will be placed in the actual cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in one of the main attractions. Today, one of our sources have sent in a little more information about the possible ride experience, though keep in mind that the attraction is still under design and a lot can change between now and when it opens.
That said, I'm told that guests will board a vehicle where it appears that they are sitting inside the cockpit of the Falcon. In reality, there will be several such vehicles (unseen) on a track layout, where the ship will take off and move into a large star field projection room at first. Eventually the cockpit ships will move into place behind an individual projection screen for the simulator/action portion of the ride. The way this will work was described to me as being similar to how Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey works during specific sections of that ride (see picture), where the individual rider pods are placed inside a projection dome that is mounted to a huge carousel structure. The projection domes and rider pods will move around the carousel in sync during these sections of the ride, where the guests may have some control over the action taking place and what the outcome will be.
If you watch the start of this video showing off the addition of a new Star Wars themed area on-board the Disney Dream cruise ship, you will see mockup of the Millennium Falcon cockpit that simulates space travel, that may give you a good visual as to what your ride on the Falcon could be like."

http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland.htm#StarWars (scroll down to the bottom of the page)

This is a Disneyland rumor but since the rides are expected to be similar, if not the same, I though I would post it here.

I take everything Screamscape posts with a large grain of salt, but what is being described here sounds very plausible.

DisneyRoy

The first thing I thought when I was reading this was it sounded similar to Simpsons ride with the large room being described.

AEfx

This is in contradiction to the previous post. Unless the parade is such a big deal that they feel that it creates a conflict. I just have a small problem with a kid standing in the Chase m&G line, seeing Vader, then seeing him in the main m&g line a few minutes later, then 5 minutes later seeing him at the Jedi Academy. Vader in 3 places in one small park just seems to be an issue for me.

Eh, he's the Dark Lord of the Sith. And since technically he is dead anyway, maybe it's his Force Ghost that gets around so quickly.

In any case, I really don't think it's going to be an issue, particularly since getting from one to another of those things in 5 minutes in rapid succession is going to take some real effort, if it's possible at all.

AEfx

Why not? Will it mean spending money, thus endagering Iger's bonuses?

No, because frankly, any information about the Star Wars lands (which are not expected to open until we have several more new Star Wars movies in and out of theaters), would just get buried at this point. And please, on today of all days - thank the man - he saved Star Wars...if it wasn't for Iger, Lucas wouldn't have sold to anyone else, and Lucasfilm needed to make another set of SW films to stay in business - so we could be watching a A Film By George Lucas today and tomorrow...a frightening concept.

It would be much smarter to wait for a lull (well, what will qualify as a lull - much like crowds at WDW, there aren't going to be many "slow" Star Wars "seasons" for the foreseeable future). Look what happened the last time - they waited until there was a lull in TFA news, and the news of Disney Star Wars additions made the front pages of places like CNN. If they released anything like that right now, it would be page 3...

I would expect very little for a very long time, because frankly - the attractions aren't opening for years, and there is so much other Star Wars product to discuss and release info about, that it simply makes no sense for them to do so. I'm sure for folks like us at a site like this, we'll start hearing more sooner or later - but it's in Disney's best interest all around to not be making a fuss about something that is a good 3-4 years out at the least.

G00fyDad

No, because frankly, any information about the Star Wars lands (which are not expected to open until we have several more new Star Wars movies in and out of theaters), would just get buried at this point. And please, on today of all days - thank the man - he saved Star Wars...if it wasn't for Iger, Lucas wouldn't have sold to anyone else, and Lucasfilm needed to make another set of SW films to stay in business - so we could be watching a A Film By George Lucas today and tomorrow...a frightening concept.

It would be much smarter to wait for a lull (well, what will qualify as a lull - much like crowds at WDW, there aren't going to be many "slow" Star Wars "seasons" for the foreseeable future). Look what happened the last time - they waited until there was a lull in TFA news, and the news of Disney Star Wars additions made the front pages of places like CNN. If they released anything like that right now, it would be page 3...

I would expect very little for a very long time, because frankly - the attractions aren't opening for years, and there is so much other Star Wars product to discuss and release info about, that it simply makes no sense for them to do so. I'm sure for folks like us at a site like this, we'll start hearing more sooner or later - but it's in Disney's best interest all around to not be making a fuss about something that is a good 3-4 years out at the least.

That is my general feeling as well. They really should hold off on any more news about Star Wars Land until they get farther along. Otherwise they run the risk of hyping something that really isn't visual yet.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Don't you need a new dead horse to beat? That one looks pretty worn out.

I think that this not spending money is getting old as we watch all the news about work in every park at Walt Disney World.
But they aren't spending money on what he wants. Doesn't seem to matter that millions are going to infrastructure, refurbs, DS, etc.

NormC

Why not? Will it mean spending money, thus endagering Iger's bonuses?
peterstrolling-pan595-sweden-fishing-boat.jpg

JediMasterMatt

Re: that Screamscape Millennium Falcon rumor.

There is an expression about the sun shining on a dog some days... the same holds true for Screamscape.

I wouldn't exactly call the MF attraction a Forbidden Journey clone... but, the way the ride was described to me has some comparisons about moving the RV around. The queue to RV should be quite a treat for everyone.

I'm still more excited about the Resistance/Adventure/Battle attraction.

In other SWL related things... that Adventureland Pirate test. Interesting concept isn't it.

PorterRedkey

The first thing I thought when I was reading this was it sounded similar to Simpsons ride with the large room being described.

I believe the Simson's screens are stationary. This would be more like the scenes in Harry Potter - Forbidden journey where the screen is moving along a track at the same speed the ride vehicle is moving in front of the screen. Sounds cool, but it's only a rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom