Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Robbiem

I can see Jim’s point. Using Hondo is a bit fanboy easter egg. Casual guests who don’t know the animations wouldn’t know who he is. It won’t spoil the ride but it won’t connect with them in the same way as a more known character like Jabba or Lando would.

I wonder Hondo was going to be in one of the live action movies which got canned? BTW I would love them to add a James Hong voiced morgan animatronic he made a great double act with Hondo but thats an even more obscure thing to do!

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
I think it should have been Chewbacca. I don't care about Hondo one way or the other. I knew who he was, so it didn't bother me that he was there. And my goodness, what a fantastic animatronic! Almost makes up for the mediocre ride within.

But this brings me back to the point that this whole land should have been themed to the Original Trilogy. There's a timelessness that the Sequel Trilogy just doesn't have, and so Galaxy's Edge is already stale.

SpectreJordan

I think it should have been Chewbacca. I don't care about Hondo one way or the other. I knew who he was, so it didn't bother me that he was there. And my goodness, what a fantastic animatronic! Almost makes up for the mediocre ride within.

But this brings me back to the point that this whole land should have been themed to the Original Trilogy. There's a timelessness that the Sequel Trilogy just doesn't have, and so Galaxy's Edge is already stale.
I think they still might've gone with Hondo for an OT based version of the ride. He was alive during that era & I think an animatronic of an alien is going to look realistic longer than one of Harrison Ford front & center.

Mireille

Premium Member

How do you say "coaxium" in Wookiee-ese?

As far as timelessness, I think that really depends on your point of view. I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars in the theater when it was just Star Wars, not Episode IV. I was a kid and I loved the original trilogy when it was the only trilogy. I though the prequels were awful. I still do. But kids who saw the prequels liked them, and they still do. Kids whose first exposure in the Disney trilogy will maybe like those best. I think the major problem was making it canon. They should have just made a fun land in a Star Wars-esque environment where characters from any of the movies might show up, even if in the canon timeline they wouldn't exist at the same time. I think the importance placed on "canon" has ruined a lot of things.

SpectreJordan

I think the canon stuff is especially annoying because George Lucas himself allowed Padme, Leia & Ahsoka to dance to Brittney Spears music together in the parks lmao

They don't even have to do that in Galaxy's Edge. They could've sort of sectioned off the land into separate eras. The area near Rise could've been for the sequels, the market & the area near Falcon could've been original trilogy & the area near the milk stand/droid factory could be the prequels.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

It is still insane that they built a Star Wars land without Vader, Luke, Han, and Leia.
I think it'd make more sense if Disney's focus with Star Wars was solely on the sequels. I could see why they'd do it then since that's their version of Star Wars, it'd tie into what they were actively doing with the series.

But they've produced waaay more OT era content than sequel era stuff. Rogue One, Solo & Rebels were all out by the time the land debuted; they've made Obi-Wan, Book of Boba Fett & Ahsoka since then too. The comics & video games are almost all OT era too.

The Mandalorian debuted the month before & became the biggest thing in Star Wars since the OT, I bet they were kicking their selves for that.

_caleb

Yes, I understand him. Don't you?

return of the jedi episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom