Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SplashJacket

Reading the first replies to this thread is like watching your wedding video after the divorce.
Just went through the first dozen-ish pages and it’s an interesting read.

Lots of optimism. Everyone thought it would be placed adjacent to Star Tours and therefore kill Indy or Muppets or both.

At Disneyland, everyone thought Toontown was getting the axe.

And then you have danlb either making a super subtle joke explaining the falcon ride system or just accidentally making a joke that landed.
I'm just happy no "spinners" were announced!
Well they did say you could pilot your own Millennium Falcon. ;)
Overall, I do think people are overly harsh on the end-result. Execution wasn’t perfect, but from general sentiment on here, you would expect they opening day DCA.

We went on an extended family trip in the first month of Rise. The first day, all the young-folk (everyone under 55) went to Hollywood Studios at 5:00 in the morning on a race day (which caused extra hassle since all the roads were blocked from the SoG). To say it was worth it, was an incredible understatement.

The next HWS morning , we managed to convince my 80-year-old grandmother (who doesn’t do thrill rides) to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to go ride Rise. She was utterly mind blown. She said it hurt her neck a little, but the third HWS morning she voluntarily went back at 5:00 am to go and ride Rise.

I think now that the initial shock was worn off (and some of the effects are broken) the true impact of Rise has slightly worn off, but that ride is absolutely out of this world incredible.

I don’t think we would have the same overall negative sentiment surrounding GE on the forums if GE opened with Rise.

Hopefully, serves as a warning to the new park down the street to actually open with its biggest ride(s).

mattpeto

Hear me out...

Partition off GE in DHS and add it to that yellow space acreage and make a 5th gate for Star Wars. Update Star Tours and put at the new park, and use the space at DHS for a new attraction.

Use the Starcruiser for on-site resort or a queue for a new attraction. Build out existing Star Wars lands in addition to Batuu.

1706894706766.png

While you're building the 5th gate, GE remains part of DHS and you do some further work in Animation Courtyard and expand another property to replace the 2 attractions you lose.

If you want a portal from DHS to the new park, you could probably build a tunnel or something.

pdude81

Hear me out...

Partition off GE in DHS and add it to that yellow space acreage and make a 5th gate for Star Wars. Update Star Tours and put at the new park, and use the space at DHS for a new attraction.

Use the Starcruiser for on-site resort or a queue for a new attraction. Build out existing Star Wars lands in addition to Batuu.

View attachment 766503

While you're building the 5th gate, GE remains part of DHS and you do some further work in Animation Courtyard and expand another property to replace the 2 attractions you lose.

If you want a portal from DHS to the new park, you could probably build a tunnel or something.
This parking lot always seemed like the logical expansion area to me as well, but for DHS and not a separate Star Wars park. This is where I need them to build a Yavin 4 Speedbike coaster and Ewok and/or Force Ghost meet and greets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hear me out...

View attachment 766503

Or, you know, just do what’s needed and expand the current park. Including everything else you said.

mattpeto

Or, you know, just do what’s needed and expand the current park. Including everything else you said.
100% agreed.

I just think if they are going to expand Star Wars around Starcruiser, GE would fit in better at a true Star Wars park, featuring other lands, time periods, etc. It would also let them bypass a future retrofit for the ST era.

MagicHappens1971

100% agreed.

I just think if they are going to expand Star Wars around Starcruiser, GE would fit in better at a true Star Wars park, featuring other lands, time periods, etc. It would also let them bypass a future retrofit for the ST era.
Disney is not opening a fifth gate in this decade, and probably not the next one either. It makes way more sense to flesh out their existing parks first. The cast & infrastructure needed to open a brand new park is ridiculous.

Bocabear

Disney is not opening a fifth gate in this decade, and probably not the next one either. It makes way more sense to flesh out their existing parks first. The cast & infrastructure needed to open a brand new park is ridiculous.
That is true...there are so many things in each park that were promised decades ago that were never built, Attractions shuttered etc...They do not need a 5th park... They need to reopen all their closed venues , and then think about adding more attractions and expansion.... The LAST thing WDW needs is another half-finished park and 10 year construction project!!

MagicHappens1971

That is true...there are so many things in each park that were promised decades ago that were never built, Attractions shuttered etc...They do not need a 5th park... They need to reopen all their closed venues , and then think about adding more attractions and expansion.... The LAST thing WDW needs is another half-finished park and 10 year construction project!!
DHS & DAK are in dire need of pure expansion. MK also needs to reopen several shuttered spaces, as well as pure expansion.

The reality is that they also just spent billions in Epcot, and it is still a hot mess express. A new attraction in one or two of the World Showcase pavilions is a no brainer. Redoing Figment, is a no brainer, it is a stale mess. Unfortunately the company does not care.

Disney could also liven up Galaxy's Edge with some of the tech from Starcruiser, although I don't think they will because they will probably use the Starcruiser and it's facilities for some type of upcharge event in the coming future.

Incomudro

For sure.
Fix what they have.
Why build new things when they don't maintain the old, and leave buildings shuttered?

mattpeto

For the record, I’d like to see them expand DHS instead of a 5th park as well.

But they need to add Star Wars lands and attractions. They need to incorporate Starcruiser, my pitch was just an idea, if they wanted to expand southwest.

roj2323

They do not need a 5th park... They need to reopen all their closed venues , and then think about adding more attractions and expansion.... The LAST thing WDW needs is another half-finished park and 10 year construction project!!
EXACTLY

There's no way I could have said this better myself.

GimpYancIent

One thing I continue to be surprised about is that they haven’t visited Batuu in any show/movie. Seems like a no brainer to have had it featured in Episode IX or Mandalorian or one of the other shows at some point. All we’ve seen is some oblique references but actually seeing the location on screen would I think make it more endearing
It would be an excellent touch even if the appearance is brief.

MagicHappens1971

One thing I continue to be surprised about is that they haven’t visited Batuu in any show/movie. Seems like a no brainer to have had it featured in Episode IX or Mandalorian or one of the other shows at some point. All we’ve seen is some oblique references but actually seeing the location on screen would I think make it more endearing
I don’t understand how they haven’t done this yet. I have some sneaking suspicion it has something to do with “breaking the canon”. It would make way more sense for it to have appeared in Mando something so that it was in the past and they don’t have to worry about the current timeline.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I don’t understand how they haven’t done this yet. I have some sneaking suspicion it has something to do with “breaking the canon”. It would make way more sense for it to have appeared in Mando something so that it was in the past and they don’t have to worry about the current timeline.
Maybe that's what the Mando movie aims to address.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom