Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mikejs78

Premium Member
i never said rob was an insider and he was not the insider i was referring to in my earlier post.
Ok, what insider then? I've been following this thread from the beginning and I've never seen one of the trusted insiders of this site claim that Galaxy's Edge had low guest satisfaction scores.

The true sign of someone who can't back up his argument is saying "I'm not going to play your game, figure it out yourself".

mikejs78

Premium Member
I am talking about the land as a whole is a failure not just "guest satisfaction surveys" a small minority fill out.
Now your changing the argument. Whether the land was a success or a failure is totally different from the comment that was made that Rob was in the minority for hating the land.

And the surveys use what is called a scientific sampling - where one is able to gain very accurate data by a small sampling. And in those surveys, from what I've been able to gather, guest satisfaction has been good, which is what the original argument was about. Not whether or not the land is a success or a failure (and my opinion on that is it's still too soon to tell).

Kman101

I think there is a real compromise to be had. I forget who mentioned it (maybe @Kman101 I think) but the best idea I heard about "Walk around" characters is this: a band. Have a band perform a few times a day a la the entertainment in the World Showcase. One or two members in the band should be dressed as aliens. Since they are performers and paid like it, having them done up in more complex outfits can work and be part of their act. And because they are a band, you don't run into the issue of people having to use them as a M&G (surely people will take photos, but more from afar not going right up to them).

On top of that, they can play music from the movies that some people argue should be played, but it can be done in theme as a band in a marketplace.

Solves so many complaints all at once. It would be great.

Not that there also can't be some AA droids or aliens as well, but I think that would be the best bet for live characters to "plus" the area and add some more "life" and activity.

Yep, I had mentioned a walk around Cantina band, like they had during Star Wars Weekends. I mean, SWW had more characters than the land ever has seen. They could do better here, for sure. Don't have time to touch upon the rest of your great post but I hope to add more later!

Kman101

I know it isn't where it was hoped to be as far as attendance - no one can argue that. What I'm asking is - of those who have been to the land, were they happy with it? That's a different question, I think. Have you seen the data around that?

That's what I'd like to know. What is the GUEST SATISFACTION with the land.

Attendance ebbs and flows. I'm pretty sure it has driven attendance, but like others have said, not like they hoped (and I do imagine it was totally unrealistic). Maybe if they had picked a date, stuck to it, and gave folks enough time to plan trips, they'd have had a better outcome. Instead they did "surprise we're opening soon!" ... and without the most ambitious dark ride! Not to mention guests were scared away from Disneyland because it was reservation only ... they only have themselves to blame for it's "failure" IMHO.

It was a messy rollout. I said it months and months ago. I was dismissed. But I wasn't really wrong. It was messy and it backfired.

Most folks aren't changing their plans. I imagine many guests planned trips for now and into December/January.

Me? I think they land is incredibly well done. I enjoy it. Lots of easter eggs, the entire land is a love letter for Star Wars fans but they're too caught up in petty fandom and "I wanted walk around Luke" instead of appreciating what they got. It's mindboggling, actually, the reaction to this land. But they could do a lot better with walk around characters, etc. It's lacking in certain areas for sure, no one can argue with that one. It's underwhelming in the sense of being immersed, imo. Where's the fights in the land? Chewie and Rey rushing past you and behind a fence isn't really immersive. Most folks come away loving the Stormtroopers. Why? You're immersed. You can only immerse yourself in the land for so long. (Kylo does his thing too and in front of his ship, so that's something, but most guests look confused, like when Chewie is fixing things, and it's not really a show of any sort)

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

That's what I'd like to know. What is the GUEST SATISFACTION with the land.

Attendance ebbs and flows. I'm pretty sure it has driven attendance, but like others have said, not like they hoped (and I do imagine it was totally unrealistic). Maybe if they had picked a date, stuck to it, and gave folks enough time to plan trips, they'd have had a better outcome. Instead they did "surprise we're opening soon!" ... and without the most ambitious dark ride! Not to mention guests were scared away from Disneyland because it was reservation only ... they only have themselves to blame for it's "failure" IMHO.

It was a messy rollout. I said it months and months ago. I was dismissed. But I wasn't really wrong. It was messy and it backfired.

Most folks aren't changing their plans. I imagine many guests planned trips for now and into December/January.

Me? I think they land is incredibly well done. I enjoy it. Lots of easter eggs, the entire land is a love letter for Star Wars fans but they're too caught up in petty fandom and "I wanted walk around Luke" instead of appreciating what they got. It's mindboggling, actually, the reaction to this land. But they could do a lot better with walk around characters, etc. It's lacking in certain areas for sure, no one can argue with that one. It's underwhelming in the sense of being immersed, imo. Where's the fights in the land? Chewie and Rey rushing past you and behind a fence isn't really immersive. Most folks come away loving the Stormtroopers. Why? You're immersed. You can only immerse yourself in the land for so long. (Kylo does his thing too and in front of his ship, so that's something, but most guests look confused, like when Chewie is fixing things, and it's not really a show of any sort)

That “positive” review sounds just like my review - no breadth of characters, no walk around Batuu population, no music, no immersion, lame “shows”, no action, no fun. More of a burning bag of poop on the porch for Star Wars fans than a love letter.

(And yet again, that was a “positive” review of this mess - wow.)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I hope to see improvement in the area this coming week from our last visit in September. It was rather sterile, akin to any random town in the Mideast without the ubiquitous trash blowing around and discussions in foriegn tongues (other than Portuguese or Spanish) . Lots of static set pieces, but hardly immersive.

TrojanUSC

I know it isn't where it was hoped to be as far as attendance - no one can argue that. What I'm asking is - of those who have been to the land, were they happy with it? That's a different question, I think. Have you seen the data around that?

MFSR isn't even cracking the top five attractions for guest affinity in their research. At one point even F! was higher. Same story at DLR, not in Top 5 at DL or Top 10 at whole resort.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’ve not seen hard data personally (I know, poor me) but am aware the GS scores are lower than hoped.

TPSou

I just find it mind boggling that people are going there and aren't blown away. We visited DL in October and will be at DW in three weeks, and we absolutely loved Galaxy's Edge. I didn't think much of SR but the area itself, the shops, the sound effects, the actors they do have, it was just an amazing experience. I was so ready to be completely let down but it really blew us away.

I feel like people that hyped themselves up might have set their expectations too high, but surely the vast majority of the public have no idea it's even a thing and are much more easily pleased than some theme park enthusiast who is aware of everything that is technically possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom