Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SplashJacket

I just find it mind boggling that people are going there and aren't blown away. We visited DL in October and will be at DW in three weeks, and we absolutely loved Galaxy's Edge. I didn't think much of SR but the area itself, the shops, the sound effects, the actors they do have, it was just an amazing experience. I was so ready to be completely let down but it really blew us away.

I feel like people that hyped themselves up might have set their expectations too high, but surely the vast majority of the public have no idea it's even a thing and are much more easily pleased than some theme park enthusiast who is aware of everything that is technically possible.

I was blown away by it, acknowledged it had faults, the primary one being the lack of tangible attractions and the only one not being mind-blowing.

RotR will absolutely transform the land.

RobWDW1971

I was blown away by it, acknowledged it had faults, the primary one being the lack of tangible attractions and the only one not being mind-blowing.

RotR will absolutely transform the land.

ROTR (hopefully) will be great, but it won’t fix the inherent, fundamental issues with Batuu and MFSR that has lead to the tepid response on both coasts. It will be a distraction from those, however, and will provide a much needed “halo” effect.

Unfortunately, like with DCA 1.0, it will take time for egos and those responsible to move on before a new team can fix the obvious issues.

SplashJacket

ROTR (hopefully) will be great, but it won’t fix the inherent, fundamental issues with Batuu and MFSR that has lead to the tepid response on both coasts. It will be a distraction from those, however, and will provide a much needed “halo” effect.

Unfortunately, like with DCA 1.0, it will take time for egos and those responsible to move on before a new team can fix the obvious issues.

Transform for the better, but not fix all the land's issues.

RobWDW1971

Transform not fix.

Awesome, you must have some inside scoop!

So when they open ROTR they will also be:

- Adding countless walk around aliens, roaming droids, Jedi, bounty hunters, etc. so it’s not an abandoned movie set?!

- Actually having Jedi’s and guests use the power of the Force in the land?!

- Broaden the scope to allow all of the Star Wars characters past, present, and future to be allowed in?!

- Leverage the iconic music of the franchise in the land?!

- Actually have action and shows throughout the land besides watching awkward pantomime on an engine?

- Changing the “adventure” of flying the Falcon so it will no longer be just running an errand in the dark to pick up some cans for some dude?!

Wow! That is going to be one incredible transformation when that ride opens! Can’t wait!

Last edited:

LSLS

Guest satisfaction data would be interesting. Like, not just if they like it or not, but what they rate it as, and if it would drive returns. I personally haven't been. Even with rotr, it just doesnt get me personally jumping on the prices to get down there and go. That said, I have no doubt I would enjoy the land, though I doubt I put it at a 10 either.

ToTBellHop

As I’ve said, guests like the land, but are not over-the-moon. They expected a WWoHP response and haven’t received it. But I’ve already stated my personal opinion that they never could have received that response due to the fan base and the fact that most fans don’t even like half of the IP’s content. Potterheads love the whole series and, usually, all the films. Any qualms are “Dobby is kind of annoying” or “I preferred the first Dumbledore’s beard,” not “I am going to send hate mail to that girl they cast” or “I really need Jar Jar or Rian or both to die.”

TPSou

Awesome, you must have some inside scoop!

So when they open ROTR they will also be:

- Adding countless walk around aliens, roaming droids, Jedi, bounty hunters, etc. so it’s not an abandoned movie set?!

- Actually having Jedi’s and guests use the power of the Force in the land?!

- Broaden the scope to allow all of the Star Wars characters past, present, and future to be allowed in?!

- Leverage the iconic music of the franchise in the land?!

- Actually have action and shows throughout the land besides watching awkward pantomime on an engine?

- Changing the “adventure” of flying the Falcon so it will no longer be just running an errand in the dark to pick up some cans for some dude?!

Wow! That is going to be one incredible transformation when that ride opens! Can’t wait!

A lot of this would really ruin it I think. It's much more interesting having everything 'in universe' for the land so there shouldn't be loads of Jedi and bounty hunters running around, it's meant to be a fairly normal backwater trading post, the Jedi are meant to be legends to most, so when you see Rey and Kylo it's a big deal. I love how there's little carved models of things from the films in the market shops and old battle droids etc. There's no toys except for the little first order and rebellion outpost shops (which even feel appropriate) and nothing that says 'Star Wars' because you're meant to be in the universe.

Why should normal people be able to 'use the force'? As soon as they started doing something like that people would just accuse them or ripping off WWo Harry Potter anyway.

The ambient sound is a highlight for me, with the sound of ships overhead and the mechanical sounds of the things you can see.

The action could definitely be ramped up occasionally and I'm confident this will happen, but these lands are new and already you have more 'things' happening than in any other theme park themed area I've ever seen, with stormtroopers chasing rebels and Kylo checking up on officers etc.

Smuggler's Run again, is something I agree with, super disappointing there's only one mission and it's not particularly interesting, even for big Star Wars fans. More visits to locations from the films would be a big plus I think. Hopefully it will be updated like Star Tours is.

Incomudro

A lot of this would really ruin it I think. It's much more interesting having everything 'in universe' for the land so there shouldn't be loads of Jedi and bounty hunters running around, it's meant to be a fairly normal backwater trading post, the Jedi are meant to be legends to most, so when you see Rey and Kylo it's a big deal. I love how there's little carved models of things from the films in the market shops and old battle droids etc. There's no toys except for the little first order and rebellion outpost shops (which even feel appropriate) and nothing that says 'Star Wars' because you're meant to be in the universe.

Why should normal people be able to 'use the force'? As soon as they started doing something like that people would just accuse them or ripping off WWo Harry Potter anyway.

The ambient sound is a highlight for me, with the sound of ships overhead and the mechanical sounds of the things you can see.

The action could definitely be ramped up occasionally and I'm confident this will happen, but these lands are new and already you have more 'things' happening than in any other theme park themed area I've ever seen, with stormtroopers chasing rebels and Kylo checking up on officers etc.

Smuggler's Run again, is something I agree with, super disappointing there's only one mission and it's not particularly interesting, even for big Star Wars fans. More visits to locations from the films would be a big plus I think. Hopefully it will be updated like Star Tours is.

I think there should be more "walk through" characters.
Some characters passing through - they don't even have to stop, they can just be on their way from one place to another.
Add to that some characters in the marketplace as there would be.
We're supposed to be in a locale populated by the beings that are already there - not just the Disney guests.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

There's no toys except for the little first order and rebellion outpost shops (which even feel appropriate) and nothing that says 'Star Wars' because you're meant to be in the universe.
Incorrect. There is merchandise in the land that does say "STAR WARS" in it. Pictures and videos exist.

RobWDW1971

Any review of the land is incomplete until Thursday. The land is incomplete. You can say things positive or negative about it, but it's missing it's biggest draw. Judging it ahead of that is premature.

What we can say is that the split opening was a mistake and Iger essentially admitted this.

They are charging full price for the land and we are judging what they built - that is both fair and expected. There are three major elements to SWGE - Batuu, MFSR, and ROTR.

Two of the elements are open and will be the same when ROTR opens so it is fair to judge them and the public has, quite harshly.

If ROTR is a huge success (and I hope if will be) it won’t change the other two elements, it will just be a distraction from them and fill the land with more guests. But Batuu and MFSR will still unfortunately be creative disappointments that have failed to excite the public.

Rich Brownn

They are charging full price for the land and we are judging what they built - that is both fair and expected. There are three major elements to SWGE - Batuu, MFSR, and ROTR.

Two of the elements are open and will be the same when ROTR opens so it is fair to judge them and the public has, quite harshly.

If ROTR is a huge success (and I hope if will be) it won’t change the other two elements, it will just be a distraction from them and fill the land with more guests. But Batuu and MFSR will still unfortunately be creative disappointments that have failed to excite the public.
Oooooh and they're not opening Rat until next spring and Guardians until 2021... and yet they are charging full price! How dare they (eye roll). You are really really determined and you've succeeded... IGNORE

<by the way New Orleans Square opened without either of the signature attractions. And that was done by Walt Disney himself.

Last edited:

Movielover

What kind of reality are you living in?

giphy.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member

I'm sorry, you, not the public, has judged Batuu as a creative disappointment. You're wrong here.

Steph15251

They are charging for the park ,not the land

Haymarket2008

Says you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom