Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Broke ground on January 15 1979. Opened November 15 1980.

EPCOT Center took 36 months from first blade of grass removed to official opening.

I guess many of us locals weren't fully aware of the construction until it reached a certain height. Life pre-interwebz, the kids will never know it. I was born on 11/24. I was able to ride it over Thanksgiving weekend that year. Thanksgiving was on 11/27, so I rode BTMRR on 11/28 or 11/29 1980. I'm sure we didn't head over there on Sunday. I'm getting old.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I also remember EPCOT didn't take that long. I remember occasional local news stories about the massive cost of the project and the local news stories after it opened about how EPCOT was confusing everyone, but I don't remember it taking that long to build.
Epcot took three years to build. You can tack on a couple more if you include planning.

The difference in it and other projects is there was a huge financial incentive to get it open as soon as possible. It was a huge cash drain that would not be plugged until people started spinning the turnstiles.

note2001

Really - a so called SURVEY which boots you when you give the 'wrong' answer,

That leads to one thing only a biased dataset. If you want to filter for various conditions you do it during the analysis AFTER the dataset has been collected. But I'm guessing you never took statistics in college. But if you NEVER collect the data which is contrary to the desired outcome the dataset cannot be analyzed by someone ELSE and a DIFFERENT conclusion be made.

While I understand what you're saying, I think you're just being a little paranoid. Surveys that do this are not booting anyone because they gave a wrong answer. It is all about bad programming. Disney has been trying unsuccessfully to corner the market on bad programmers.

dgp602

The end result of the slowness of Disney building GREAT attractions and a lack of genuine E Tickets? For me... No visit to the world in 7 years, and in the four days I was in Florida, Disney got two, Universal one, and the beach one. In the old days- 6-9 days at Disney. If there's more folks out there like me, that is a lot of lost revenue. (And I bought no souvenirs either- a BIG change.)
I admit, with my kids growing, we spend 2 days at Uni. 10 yrs ago, we might have stopped by Uni once every 3 yrs or so. Also, we go out to Citywalk now, as opposed to Downtown Disney ( or Disney Springs ).

Cesar R M

While I understand what you're saying, I think you're just being a little paranoid. Surveys that do this are not booting anyone because they gave a wrong answer. It is all about bad programming. Disney has been trying unsuccessfully to corner the market on bad programmers.
I dont think the online surveys are the issue right now.
Have you seen the people who have mentioned the INPARK surveys?
they make sure you cannot say if something is wrong.

almost feels like

Your Experience was:
Good
Amazing
Better than ever
(no negative)

peter11435

almost feels like

Your Experience was:
Good
Amazing
Better than ever
(no negative)
Have you ever actually taken one of those in-park surveys. I have. Well over a dozen times and every time I am given the exact same options. Excellent, very good, good, just ok, and poor. Those words exactly in that order. And I have almost always been asked for more information about why I gave the answer I gave no matter if I was answering excellent, poor, or anything in between.

note2001

almost feels like

Your Experience was:
Good
Amazing
Better than ever
(no negative)

Perhaps, but remember that's Disney training in play. They are not allowed to use negatives when talking with guests. "I can't do that" turns into "Let me find someone who can help." "I'm sorry you had a bad experience" becomes "I'm sorry your experience was less than magical." It's in the Disney culture to avoid the negative. So, from this and the selections given above, "Good" translates to "Lousy, I wish I never came." They will take that into account.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Have you ever actually taken one of those in-park surveys. I have. Well over a dozen times and every time I am given the exact same options. Excellent, very good, good, just ok, and poor. Those words exactly in that order. And I have almost always been asked for more information about why I gave the answer I gave no matter if I was answering excellent, poor, or anything in between.
No I dont, as I dont fit in what "they are looking for".
I mean about people who talked about the surveys here.
I think someone even posted some photos by cellphone and those did not say anything about "poor".

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I can confirm that the last time I was at Walt Disney World I was asked to do a survey and it was the first time I had been selected. I can confirm that I was given a whole range of possible answer and even where able to fill in with additional information.

djkidkaz

This is accurate. Generally the Cast Member holding the tablet will ask you for further information. If they don't then it's the Cast Members fault for not asking.

Cesar R M

I can confirm any survey I've done (quite a lot) haven't given any space for additional comments. Believe me I wanted them to.
so, we got conflicting reports.
perhaps only a few surveys do have negative opinions but most do not?
could be the difference between inpark vs online?
all online surveys I've done.. I'm either opted out or do not have negative.
I have not been selected for in-site as "I do not fit" their criteria.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

:rolleyes:, I'm criticizing the methodology, At one time much of what I did was done with SPSS first in college analyzing data from the Gamma Ray Observatory and after college doing the same type of analysis on health outcomes with different treatment modalities.

When you have a so called 'Survey' which only collects data from a narrow subset of participants the dataset by definition is biased and statistically not useful. If you are doing a narrow longitudinal survey the participants should have been preselected in advance and not booted programatically when an unacceptable answer is provided by the participant.

So we have a choice either the survey program was done by an incompetent or the survey was done to back a predetermined conclusion. (like elections in North Korea) neither is valid from a pure statistical standpoint.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wrong...read a book on research methods. Contrary to what you believe, you don't know everything.

Considering research has been a major part of my career in academia and industry, I know a great deal about statistical analysis and research methods. and just because you don't like something I say does not make it incorrect.

And from a purely psychological standpoint it would have been better to silently discard the survey after completion rather than telling the person who took the time to actually TAKE the survey that 'Your opinion is of no value to us, Have a Magical Day'

It's really difficult to tell these days whether they are cooking the books from a statistical standpoint or the designers are simply incompetent.

But either way Disney has managed to leave a bad impression on a bunch of people.

I still get LOTS of on-line Disney surveys, But since they leave no way to leave negative feedback I simply delete them. I usually do get selected for the in-park surveys and interesting those generally DO give you the ability to leave negative and narrative feedback.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Considering research has been a major part of my career in academia and industry, I know a great deal about statistical analysis and research methods. and just because you don't like something I say does not make it incorrect.

It can be both. I don't like it AND it is incorrect.

It's really difficult to tell these days whether they are cooking the books from a statistical standpoint or the designers are simply incompetent.

That is a false choice. It can be neither.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom