News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

JediMasterMatt

The queue to the trip up to the Destroyer to the actual RV will certainly cause a new debate on "where does the ride begin". It's easy to see where MiceChat got sidetracked by their initial understanding of the attraction as with just a basic understanding of how to get from point A to B caused visions of elaborate RV's interacting with each other. As is the case with most things in theme park design - the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) method to design wins out because it's usually the most reliable. *plus it's cheaper than the KISS approach which involves giving Gene Simmons a huge paycheck.

In Alcatraz's case, how the journey to the Destroyer happens isn't as important as how effective it is in creating the reveal -which should be spectacular. Just like on Big Bird, the tech involved isn't anything impressive when taken on its own. It's how it's being used that is key. Guests should feel just like Poe Dameron as he steps into the docking bay for the first time in the Force Awakens. Complete with jaw slacked and necks turning to take it all in.

For what it's worth... I'm firmly in the camp that the Haunted Mansion begins the moment you enter the door to the show building (either coast) and not the moment you get into the Doom Buggy. Of course, I'll fight anyone that tries to debate that MK's Pirates begins with the queue and it's adequate compensation for the loss of show from Disneyland's version.

Ismael Flores

There's two entrances into Toy Story Land, one behind the Chinese Theater and one from GE.

I understand but the whole set up of the park the way they are doing it forces people to walk from one land to the other without an alternate route. Lets say that Star Wars land fills with capacity so they start limiting people entering into it to control crowds, guest will now have to back track inside toy story land out the same way hundreds are walking in out to the hub and around it just to get to Grand avenue.

The same goes for guests on Grand Avenue, if Star wars land gets packed and they start limiting guests these same guests will crowd on Grand Avenue and have to backtrack just to get to Toy Storyland. The park is basically filled with possible dead ends at that point.
Disneyland might have the same issue but at least they have the alternative of a third entrance into Star wars land that could be used for exit only. Guests that do not want to go into Star Wars land can also bypass it via the thunder ranch pathway

yensidtlaw1969

A little cleverer than that.
enchanted_tales_with_belle_mirror.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
I understand but the whole set up of the park the way they are doing it forces people to walk from one land to the other without an alternate route. Lets say that Star Wars land fills with capacity so they start limiting people entering into it to control crowds, guest will now have to back track inside toy story land out the same way hundreds are walking in out to the hub and around it just to get to Grand avenue.

The same goes for guests on Grand Avenue, if Star wars land gets packed and they start limiting guests these same guests will crowd on Grand Avenue and have to backtrack just to get to Toy Storyland. The park is basically filled with possible dead ends at that point.
Disneyland might have the same issue but at least they have the alternative of a third entrance into Star wars land that could be used for exit only. Guests that do not want to go into Star Wars land can also bypass it via the thunder ranch pathway
If Galaxy's Edge is filled to capacity, guests at Grand Avenue wishing to get to Toy Story Land can cut through Commissary Lane to TSL's other entrance, and vice versa. Essentially it is a loop.

In case you missed it @MisterPenguin already established what the third entrance would be used for
Part of that backstage road is indeed going to get Toy Story theming in case they have to use it for crowd control... or maybe reopen Pixar Place path again.

That backstage road will be a main thoroughfare for support for TSMM, M&MRR, Baseline, Drive-in, and Commissary. And emergency vehicles.

And, it may be put into use as a third entrance to SWGE someday if they ever use the expansion pad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If Galaxy's Edge is filled to capacity, guests at Grand Avenue wishing to get to Toy Story Land can cut through Commissary Lane to TSL's other entrance, and vice versa. Essentially it is a loop.

In case you missed it @MisterPenguin already established what the third entrance would be used for
There won't be a third entrance in DHS. Nor will there be a backstage way into SWL from it. Current Pixar Place - if opened - would still dump into TSL (south of the new TSM exit path) or Grand Av (outside the tunnel).

spacemt354

Chili's
There won't be a third entrance in DHS. Nor will there be a backstage way into SWL from it. Current Pixar Place - if opened - would still dump into TSL (south of the new TSM exit path) or Grand Av (outside the tunnel).
Yes, there will be two entrances on opening day, as the former poster implied there would be one.

Penguin elaborated on the potential use for the backstage area. Is that information inaccurate?

mickEblu

The queue to the trip up to the Destroyer to the actual RV will certainly cause a new debate on "where does the ride begin". .

Very excited about this. HM is the only ride I've ever been on that can spark that debate. So to see how they "blur the line" for Battle Escape will be really cool.

I agree. I also believe HM begins as soon as you step through the doors. After all, the Ghost Host starts his narration in the foyer. I guess we could get technical and say the "ride" begins on the doom buggies. Haunted Mansion is proof that distinctions of "ride" and "attraction" are useful. If there ever was an attraction, Haunted Mansion is one. All of its Elements combine to = an experience. That's what it sounds like they re trying to do with Battle Escape.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Very excited about this. HM is the only ride I've ever been on that can spark that debate. So to see how they "blur the lines" for Battle Escape will be really cool.

I agree. I also believe HM begins as soon as you step through the doors. After all, the Ghost Host starts his narration in the foyer. I guess we could get technical and say the "ride" begins on the doom buggies. Haunted Mansion is proof that distinctions of "ride" and "attraction" are useful. If there ever was an attraction, Haunted Mansion is one. All of its Elements combine to = an experience. That's what it sounds like they re trying to do with Battle Escape.
Not to be nitpicky, but the "ride" vs "attraction" debate was settled by Walt back in the day. Marty Sklar wrote in one of his books that Walt hated calling things "rides". Henceforth, everything was an attraction.
HM for me always starts in the foyer of the house, pre-elevator. Just like Indy for me starts once you're inside the temple. That's not the case for every attraction, but it should be.

mickEblu

Not to be nitpicky, but the "ride" vs "attraction" debate was settled by Walt back in the day. Marty Sklar wrote in one of his books that Walt hated calling things "rides". Henceforth, everything was an attraction.
HM for me always starts in the foyer of the house, pre-elevator. Just like Indy for me starts once you're inside the temple. That's not the case for every attraction, but it should be.

Oh ya I know there isn't a debate. I was just pointing out that to me Haunted Mansion is the definition of an attraction.

See I don't get the same feeling on Indy. It has an amazing queue and all but It doesn't blur the line between where the queue ends and ride starts the way HM does.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Oh ya I know there isn't a debate. I was just pointing out that to me Haunted Mansion is the definition of an attraction.

See I don't get the same feeling on Indy. It's has an amazing queue and all but It doesn't blur the line between where the queue ends and ride starts the way HM does.
Fair enough. HM is a complete package in that sense.
And I can see what you mean. It's a bit of a long trek through the "pre-show" to the actual ride.

Travel Junkie

In Alcatraz's case, how the journey to the Destroyer happens isn't as important as how effective it is in creating the reveal -which should be spectacular. Just like on Big Bird, the tech involved isn't anything impressive when taken on its own. It's how it's being used that is key. Guests should feel just like Poe Dameron as he steps into the docking bay for the first time in the Force Awakens. Complete with jaw slacked and necks turning to take it all in.

Forgive me if this has been answered already, but how much of this experience will be missed if you use a FP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom