News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Really big crane on site now. Wonder if they are going to start setting the steel for the show building soon.

upload_2017-2-5_14-7-43.png

TP2000

Less chaotic on the weekend...but this feels like a calm before the storm. I do believe I see some steel on site! Going vertical soon????

A few dozen trees have now been planted on the new railroad berm separating Frontierland from Star Wars. Hundreds more are on the way for that area, and I imagine we'll be seeing a brand new forest get planted there over the next few weeks.

Disney has announced that there will be 1,000 trees planted for the Star Wars project at Disneyland. One thousand trees! Some of those thousand trees were saved from the original area, and will be replanted. But the majority of that new forest is coming from nurseries and tree farms from throughout California and Oregon. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trees-702945-tree-land.html

This project is truly massive and unprecedented for Disneyland.

PB Watermelon

A few dozen trees have now been planted on the new railroad berm separating Frontierland from Star Wars. Hundreds more are on the way for that area, and I imagine we'll be seeing a brand new forest get planted there over the next few weeks.

Disney has announced that there will be 1,000 trees planted for the Star Wars project at Disneyland. One thousand trees! Some of those thousand trees were saved from the original area, and will be replanted. But the majority of that new forest is coming from nurseries and tree farms from throughout California and Oregon. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/trees-702945-tree-land.html

This project is truly massive and unprecedented for Disneyland.

1959 expansion was pretty massive...Matterhorn, Monorail, Subs, etc.

TP2000

1959 expansion was pretty massive...Matterhorn, Monorail, Subs, etc.

True. I think that's about the only comparison from an attraction perspective that holds up. But the '59 expansion added nothing to the stores/dining/entertainment roster for the park, it only added Matterhorn Bobsleds and replaced two rides (Futureliner, Phantom Boats) with two vastly better versions (Monorail, Submarines). Plus Autopia capacity expansion.

But that's the difference between 1950's Disneyland and 2010's Disneyland; now they really go in big on the entire package of shops, dining, entertainment, visuals and eye candy.

In 2017 they are planting 1,000 trees for Star Wars Land. In 1959 it looks like Walt planted two dozen trees (maybe) for the Monorail/Sumbarine/Autopia expansion.
CalColorEk_Summer59_Autopia.jpg

Figments Friend

Glad to hear about the return of the greenery.
Hoping for a lush look in the landscaping department....lots of nice trees.

The next time i have the opportunity to ride Big Thunder Mountain in July, I wanna see a vista of green from that 2nd lift hill and not the barren wastelands of Jakku!

:cool:

-

PB Watermelon

Friends, if we want to get technical, putting California Adventure in Disneyland's parking lot exceeds Star Wars Land, but I see what you're saying. Looking forward to it.

britain

I'm starting to think that the narrower portion of the big hole (the Salt Lake City part of the reverse Utah shape) might simply be stairwell area for access down to the larger space. Now that they've added thick cement walls, it doesn't look wide enough to be used for ride maneuvering.

VJ

Here's a brief video of the stuff they're pursuing:

Honestly, if I were ever to work for Disney I'd want to do stuff like that. I "participated" (from home) in The Optimist and saw what WDI R&D did with the Ghost Post boxes and that's what Disney as a whole should be doing. Innovating and giving people cool experiences. I love it.

britain

Hmm..yeah... but still, I perked up when I saw that Tokyo 20K sub more than any "play along with cast members" stuff.

Personal preference, I suppose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom