News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

Here's some interesting news...

My rebel spies report that the DLRR will not start testing until...September! This comports with my theory that even if they are able to restart Fantasmic! by July 4th, full use of the river (including DLRR) may not happen until later. Making the back of the river functional for Fan! is not the same as making it show-ready for guest use, including TSI, Mark Twain and Columbia (collectively known as the Big Boats), Canoes, and DLRR. The resort has already had to endure Fan! being dark for one summer and 18 months, so remounting the show is a MAJOR priority. Auditions are being held, theatrical support departments are being staffed, and schedules are being prepared.

My Bothans are reporting that holes are being drilled for the new track for the Big Boats. I can now report that the permits for construction on and adjoining the Fort are for expanded Hair/Makeup and Costuming for Fan! With the routing of guest traffic to SWL on the water side of the lower level of Hungry Bear, Fan! cast won't be able to reach the alternative raft dock at the north end of HB in partial costume to go to the island. Logistically, this is potentially huge. If performers start to get dressed on the island and there are wig or costume issues, it becomes a much bigger issue to fix than just running down the hall in the entertainment building.

I think it's becoming clear that there are mixed results for Fan! in this expansion. There seem to be many improvements (and I expect a vigorous debate about every change), but also new challenges.

Will Fan! be ready by July 4th? Will there be new monkey costumes? Will Murphy be less tempramental?

Oh, the drama!

Earl Sweatpants

My rebel spies report that the DLRR will not start testing until...September! This comports with my theory that even if they are able to restart Fantasmic! by July 4th, full use of the river (including DLRR) may not happen until later. Making the back of the river functional for Fan! is not the same as making it show-ready for guest use, including TSI, Mark Twain and Columbia (collectively known as the Big Boats), Canoes, and DLRR. The resort has already had to endure Fan! being dark for one summer and 18 months, so remounting the show is a MAJOR priority. Auditions are being held, theatrical support departments are being staffed, and schedules are being prepared.

My Bothans are reporting that holes are being drilled for the new track for the Big Boats. I can now report that the permits for construction on and adjoining the Fort are for expanded Hair/Makeup and Costuming for Fan! With the routing of guest traffic to SWL on the water side of the lower level of Hungry Bear, Fan! cast won't be able to reach the alternative raft dock at the north end of HB in partial costume to go to the island. Logistically, this is potentially huge. If performers start to get dressed on the island and there are wig or costume issues, it becomes a much bigger issue to fix than just running down the hall in the entertainment building.

I think it's becoming clear that there are mixed results for Fan! in this expansion. There seem to be many improvements (and I expect a vigorous debate about every change), but also new challenges.

Will Fan! be ready by July 4th? Will there be new monkey costumes? Will Murphy be less tempramental?

Oh, the drama!
Did your rebel spies happen to get a reason why things would be so largely delayed? I remember seeing something on here before about concerns that the train won't be able to handle the tight S curves of the new track...but I'm wondering if there is something else.

Mike S

Oh, the drama!
I hope it's ready in time for my trip.

Phroobar

Did your rebel spies happen to get a reason why things would be so largely delayed? I remember seeing something on here before about concerns that the train won't be able to handle the tight S curves of the new track...but I'm wondering if there is something else.
I seriously doubt it has to do with the ability of the train to go around the track. They wouldn't have engineered this entire thing for years of approvals and such and not know 100% that the train can go around the track. if it couldn't, it would cost millions and be months of rework.

However, it might have to do with the trains sitting outside for the last year with no maintenance and they could use a complete overhaul before reopening. The paint is looking a little bad on them.

01317821-e1485941274277-576x1024.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

I seriously doubt it has to do with the ability of the train to go around the track. They wouldn't have engineered this entire thing for years of approvals and such and not know 100% that the train can go around the track. if it couldn't, it would cost millions and be months of rework.

However, it might have to do with the trains sitting outside for the last year with no maintenance and they could use a complete overhaul before reopening. The paint is looking a little bad on them.

01317821-e1485941274277-576x1024.jpg
That makes more sense. So why aren't they starting that now? Surely a refurb of the actual trains won't take...7 extra months?

BrianLo

Original Poster

That's all fanboi blather. Same people who told us half the river was going away.

It's nothing nebulous, just delayed because the back side of the river isn't going to be 100% ready for July. Ready enough to fill the river and run the boats for Fantasmic out front, but they won't likely take you on a trip around the river until it's show ready.

It was a super aggressive timeframe for Disney, so not altogether surprising they missed the mark a bit.

Earl Sweatpants

That's all fanboi blather. Same people who told us half the river was going away.

It's nothing nebulous, just delayed because the back side of the river isn't going to be 100% ready for July. Ready enough to fill the river and run the boats for Fantasmic out front, but they won't likely take you on a trip around the river until it's show ready.

It was a super aggressive timeframe for Disney, so not altogether surprising they missed the mark a bit.
Good to know. I just remember reading that thing about the trains difficulty and thinking if it were true...someone would surely have lost their job by now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom