News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
What is project Project Delos Advance Works and why is it valued at only 1.1 million?

Delos is in reference to Westworld. Eventually the AA stormtroopers will reach self-awareness and start taking out guests. I anticipate meeting my doom secondary to Briar Rabbit. I just feel bad for those who will be off'd by Pooh.

1 billion dollars for Star Wars... only a million dollars for artificial intelligence? Man, Disney sure is overspending. :p

Practical Pig

It's actually still the ride building itself. The show building is yuuuuuuge and the Western boundaries of it haven't been fully outlined yet. Lots of the ride will be below ground level.

Yeah, after posting that I noticed that circular area is connected to the big, deep basement pit. So it must either be part of the ride, or housing some equipment for it.

mickEblu

They may be contracted on DL projects including Frozen/Marvel projects through 2023. The image, while of SWL plot, doesn't sound specific.

This will 100% be open by the end of 2019. As long as California doesn't slide into the ocean.

Ok cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. If Marvel Land is supposed to open in 2020, I guess we can assume that Frozen is opening in 2023?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Ok cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. If Marvel Land is supposed to open in 2020, I guess we can assume that Frozen is opening in 2023?

I'm confused with what's going on with Frozen, quite honestly. There are apparently a lot of things in the works. 2023 strikes me as a bit late, but it's also been severely bumped back in Tokyo.

I think DLR is trying to get into the swing of opening up a really major offering every two years.

vancee

Do you mean this rendering?

View attachment 187285

If so, I don't think that's what we're seeing in the construction videos, which now has foundation walls going vertical. The link is to one of Darkbeer's photos from his tour of the resort district yesterday. Thanks Darkbeer!

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Anaheim-Resort-District-1312017/i-ZPb6CGJ

After seeing that shot, I now think the structure is the foundation for one of the domed buildings, some of which are atop circular foundations.

View attachment 187286
Oh, yes that rendering. I could've sworn there was some big giant hole in the middle of the queue, doesn't look like it. I was wrong.

mickEblu

I'm confused with what's going on with Frozen, quite honestly. There are apparently a lot of things in the works. 2023 strikes me as a bit late, but it's also been severely bumped back in Tokyo.

I think DLR is trying to get into the swing of opening up a really major offering every two years.

I'm ok with 2023 if we get the E ticket and not an Epcot clone. Which gets me thinking, are their any other fairy tales or Disney animated films in general that are actually E tickets? I think this would be a first. Right now, they re mostly Cs and a few Ds unless you count Splash Mountain which is a stretch.

Curious Constance

They may be contracted on DL projects including Frozen/Marvel projects through 2023. The image, while of SWL plot, doesn't sound specific.

This will 100% be open by the end of 2019. As long as California doesn't slide into the ocean.

What do you project the opening date to be if California DOES slide into the ocean?

BrianLo

Original Poster
I'm ok with 2023 if we get the E ticket and not an Epcot clone. Which gets me thinking, are their any other fairy tales or Disney animated films in general that are actually E tickets? I think this would be a first. Right now, they re mostly Cs and a few Ds unless you count Splash Mountain which is a stretch.

Nope, weirdly nope. There's some really solid D's between Hunny Hunt in Tokyo or perhaps Pan in Shanghai. Even SDMT and FEA are solid D's if people put aside their issues with them (which are many and valid).

I think that's why Sinbad's storybook voyage is particularly beloved around these parts. Its Menkin orchestration makes it feel like it could have been a 90's era renaissance film - and is a real E-ticket to boot.

A few Pixar representation though.

In terms of true Walt Disney Animation, Beauty and the Beast now seems like it will be the first. Not even just an E, but a mega-E at that. I want to say with 98% confidence still, Frozen won't be a Epcot clone. Or even a pseudo clone like HKDL is doing for financial reasons.

mickEblu

In terms of true Walt Disney Animation, Beauty and the Beast now seems like it will be the first. Not even just an E, but a mega-E at that. I want to say with 98% confidence still, Frozen won't be a Epcot clone. Or even a pseudo clone like HKDL is doing for financial reasons.

I hope DL gets the BATB ride too. I agree with you on Frozen. In addition I don't think they would add another boat ride right next to IASW in park full of boat rides. Ok to be honest not sure if that's something that would be considered by the suits but I'm sure it would be something that crossed the minds of some of the imagineers.

mickEblu

Sorry, Tokyo. Before anyone freaks out.

Mega E ticket though, not just E? At DLR what would you count as a Mega E? Splash, Indy, RSR, Pirates, Mansion?

The description and artwork made BATB sound/ look like a D+. What have you heard that makes you think otherwise?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Have you guys seen this?

http://murraycompany.com/all-projects/

SWL not complete until 2023??

Project Delos is the code name for the deconstruction phase (Atlantis is the building phase). The 2023 date is either a mistake or when things were up in the air, how long the contract was good for... maybe?

And the reference to Delos is gone from that site. Thank you, Google cache!

britain

That new round area of construction reminds me a little bit of the middle of this…

IMG_3728.PNG

Last edited:

britain

Mike S

Nope, weirdly nope. There's some really solid D's between Hunny Hunt in Tokyo or perhaps Pan in Shanghai. Even SDMT and FEA are solid D's if people put aside their issues with them (which are many and valid).

I think that's why Sinbad's storybook voyage is particularly beloved around these parts. Its Menkin orchestration makes it feel like it could have been a 90's era renaissance film - and is a real E-ticket to boot.

A few Pixar representation though.

I want that B&tB ride stateside.

Stevek

You know Britain, I think you're right. Looking at Darkbeer's photo again, and the concentric circular structures in it, it certainly seems to be a ride vehicle path.

Darkbeer's pic again for reference:

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Anaheim-Resort-District-1312017/i-ZPb6CGJ
Or could it be that the ride vehicle takes you on the south side of that circle, you enter the larger show room/building and the vehicle then takes you back out the north side of the circle?

britain

Or could it be that the ride vehicle takes you on the south side of that circle, you enter the larger show room/building and the vehicle then takes you back out the north side of the circle?

Yeah maybe. It's that connection to the deep "pool" that makes it especially interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom