News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Starcruiser and Batuu should have been featured in one of the new films or D+ shows. Make fans feel like they are visiting someplace of relevancy rather than just a generic SW area that's never been on screen
…nah…that’s…not…it

But since you came up with that idea…would you like to be a senior executive for the Walt Disney company?

CaptinEO

Ky'le From Tustin? He quit Disneyland for a better paying job at an In-N-Out closer to campus. (Inside joke from the Disneyland Forum!) :cool:

Or Kylo? I think I'd be more excited to meet Ky'le From Tustin than I would to meet Kylo Renn (sp?).

But if I could meet Luke & Leia, and drink in the ship's bar with Han Solo, and then have Darth Vader crash the party, I'd do it!
It's sad how predictable the whole thing about going all in on the new trilogy was.

We all knew this would happen. Disney made one movie out of the new trilogy before deciding Star Wars land needed to be locked in to the new trilogy. It makes no sense. The land should have all Star Wars stories and characters there.

Disney bought George Lucas' Star Wars just to make their own stories and characters. I don't understand.

Now Star Wars Land is 4 years old, the Trilogy ended in 2019 and surprise, the new movies are not as loved as the original films and are already forgotten. But Disney had to go full synergy mode without thinking about their audience.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
On the JP Morgan Q&A today, Josh D'Amaro says the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser didn't perform as they thought it would and that Disney expects to accelerate depreciation by about $150 million each in Q3 and Q4.
That’s what concerns me most of all. Not that it didn’t perform but that they actually thought it would.

To me it’s just further proof they don’t understand their customers

ParentsOf4

My understanding is that 'writing off' an asset means explicitly that there is no longer a use for it.
The building no longer will be used for its original purpose. This does not mean they have to tear down the building (although they might). The building could be repurposed.

WDW has several structures that have been fully depreciated and yet still are used.

Writing this off in the last two quarters of the current fiscal year is a way to make the 2024 numbers look better. Chapek can be blamed for anything bad in FY2023. In FY2024, Iger starts to own this.

Last edited:

TP2000

That’s what concerns me most of all. Not that it didn’t perform but that they actually thought it would.

To me it’s just further proof they don’t understand their customers

It's glaring proof of that. Senior executives in both the Parks group and the WDI group don't use their own products with their customers, they don't understand why their customers use their products, and they don't even seem to like their own customers much.

This has been a problem for almost a decade now. Once the Cockerell/Kalogridis era ended in Florida, and the Ouimet/Storbeck era ended in Disneyland, it was just a matter of time before the results in the parks were obvious. But for a few years the new guys were able to coast on the past and the roaring economy of the late 2010's.

But when you are in charge of a product you don't use, and don't even really like, how long can you coast on nostalgia and fumes? 🤔

Yes, Josh D'Amaro is handsome and has a tall, runners physique and a Cool Dad wardrobe. Yes, Josh D'Amaro has a personality that is vastly more likable than men like Chapek or Colglazier, whose personalities are only described by words I can't really type here and whose looks alone would not attract many bidders at a Bachelors Auction.

But at some point, in some future fiscal quarter of yet more crappy parks products, we have to start blaming all the senior execs and not just the grumpy and unattractive ones. I'm already there, but am happy to wait while others catch up. :cool:

Last edited:

Mike S

They have nothing on their plate for Epic Universe, so I say go ahead, retheme both GE attractions, throw in a ton of characters into the land and relaunch it. Go full Star Wars weekends in the land if they have to. It's not much, but it's guaranteed to improve Galaxies Edge ten fold.
Rise of the Resistance becomes a ride about escaping the Death Star before the rebels blow it up. The area around the ride is already forested so put in a little extra to make it seem like you’re on Yavin. The story is that you’re boarding a shuttle to escape the planet but are caught in the Death Stars tractor beam as it enters the system. The story has obviously deviated enough already so we’ll have Han Solo and Chewbacca leading the rescue party to get you out. Leia replaces the Rey hologram, R2 replaces BB8, Luke replaces Poe, Vader for Kylo, and Tarkin for Hux. The ongoing battle can also be viewed “outside” when you enter the hangar and the imperial officers on board now mock how your puny rebellion will soon be crushed rather than asking about a base. Vaders interrogation is about what weakness the stolen plans for the Death Star contained.

The Millenium Falcon is changed to more firmly place it in the Sequel era with more characters added than just Chewie and Hondo and a new ride is added for the Prequels. All characters appear in the land at different times so you’d never see Vader and Kylo out together as one example.

Last edited:

TheMaxRebo

The Starcruiser and Batuu should have been featured in one of the new films or D+ shows. Make fans feel like they are visiting someplace of relevancy rather than just a generic SW area that's never been on screen

They both have been featured in a number of books so people that are into it can get more backstory and learn more about it

But again, that is probably an extra level for those already super into it, not broadening the scope

MrPromey

…nah…that’s…not…it

But since you came up with that idea…would you like to be a senior executive for the Walt Disney company?
🛒 🐎

I was trying to be slick with my emoji game but the closest I could find to cart was shopping cart. I thought about just scrapping it but half-a$$ed is sort of on-brand for me... Hmm... Wonder if Disney's looking for someone to come up with their next concept? 🤔

Tha Realest

They both have been featured in a number of books so people that are into it can get more backstory and learn more about it

But again, that is probably an extra level for those already super into it, not broadening the scope
It has been inserted into Star Wars canon, as - not joking - the ship where Han and Leia spent their honeymoon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's sad how predictable the whole thing about going all in on the new trilogy was.

We all knew this would happen. Disney made one movie out of the new trilogy before deciding Star Wars land needed to be locked in to the new trilogy. It makes no sense. The land should have all Star Wars stories and characters there.

Disney bought George Lucas' Star Wars just to make their own stories and characters. I don't understand.

Now Star Wars Land is 4 years old, the Trilogy ended in 2019 and surprise, the new movies are not as loved as the original films and are already forgotten. But Disney had to go full synergy mode without thinking about their audience.
They “locked it in” in a bit of a panic move too soon based on one pretty terrible reboot - cause it went nowhere and is beyond stale now - and a very I’ll conceived prequel “trilogy” that was never gonna work.

I had lots of hope when Disney bought it. Surely…no way…they wouldn’t study George’s mistakes and correct them? There was literally hundreds of billions (with a B) to be made longterm if you just put some thought into it.
They did the opposite: they made even worse mistakes.

And the lands felt “rushed”…because sweater Bob would NOT do the wise thing: and OT land that Lucas wouldn’t allow prior…cause he couldn’t claim it. So waited on ineptitude first. But it was “his”.

It was never the label for Star Wars…people didn’t talk about it 15 years after nub nub and watch it a million times on cable because of the label.
It was actually the movies.
Bob just isn’t creative enough to understand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The building no longer will be used for its original purpose. This does not mean they have to tear down the building (although they might). The building could be repurposed.

WDW has several structures that have been fully depreciated and yet still are used.

Writing this off in the last two quarters of the current fiscal year is a way to make the 2024 numbers look better. Chapek can be blamed for anything bad in FY2023. In FY2024, Iger starts to own this.
They just announced a writeoff today after a closure last week after an OPENING 15 months ago…

Respectfully - a lot here are just not understanding how Disney handles PR/economic announcements…
…this is so close to defcon 1 for them on an “asset”

It has been inserted into Star Wars canon, as - not joking - the ship where Han and Leia spent their honeymoon.

Frankly…that’s the dumbest G-D thing I’ve ever heard.

Completely “on brand” 🙄

Tha Realest

They just announced a writeoff today after a closure last week after an OPENING 15 months ago…

Respectfully - a lot here are just not understanding how Disney handles PR/economic announcements…
…this is so close to defcon 1 for them on an “asset”
HarmoniUs. Future World / World Celebration / Innoventions. Galactic Starcruiser.

How many of these recent builds that they expected to amortize over decades have they had to mothball within give or take 9-18 months?

TheMaxRebo

Yeah, that one is a bit, um, forced

But some of the Batuu focused ones are good. Plus Anakin and Thrawn both visited Batuu so can definitely represent different time periods there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom