News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

celluloid

It has been inserted into Star Wars canon, as - not joking - the ship where Han and Leia spent their honeymoon.

Crazy, their son conceived a bad take over, on a hotel ill-conceived where he, the fictional character was likely conceived.

some other guy

Crazy, their son conceived a bad take over, on a hotel ill-conceived where he, the fictional character was likely conceived.
all because of a bad take-over irl
dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf8890cf.gif

CaptinEO

They “locked it in” in a bit of a panic move too soon based on one pretty terrible reboot - cause it went nowhere and is beyond stale now - and a very I’ll conceived prequel “trilogy” that was never gonna work.

I had lots of hope when Disney bought it. Surely…no way…they wouldn’t study George’s mistakes and correct them? There was literally hundreds of billions (with a B) to be made longterm if you just put some thought into it.
They did the opposite: they made even worse mistakes.

And the lands felt “rushed”…because sweater Bob would NOT do the wise thing: and OT land that Lucas wouldn’t allow prior…cause he couldn’t claim it. So waited on ineptitude first. But it was “his”.

It was never the label for Star Wars…people didn’t talk about it 15 years after nub nub and watch it a million times on cable because of the label.
It was actually the movies.
Bob just isn’t creative enough to understand.
I felt the same when they bought it, that Disney knew how to make money and no way would they mess up Star Wars, I felt it was in better hands than George.

Disney does see it as a brand like you said and not a movie franchise. They think it's a name you can just put on anything scifi and sell it.

AdventureHasAName

But that would defeat the purpose of their "You can't go to Tatooine in a theme park land because you canonically cannot get involved into anything that specifically happened in the movies" logic that resulted in the creation of all these OC settings in the first place.
How does that logic co-exist with Pandora being built in Animal Kingdom? Or Tom Sawyer's Island?

Monkee Girl

It has been inserted into Star Wars canon, as - not joking - the ship where Han and Leia spent their honeymoon.

when I first heard that, I wanted to gag. I should have named it 'The Lady Luck' and let
Also where Kylo Ren was conceived. Anankin & Ventress fought on the Halcyon, Hondo's been on it, etc.
This cruise was soooo super duper special, you guys! What were we thinking ever cringing at it? it's the hub of ALL the lore! lol

Tha Realest

Theres no way this cost less than a billion to build with R&D costs included
I continue to be astonished by that number. We’ll revisit what that could have meant elsewhere in a moment, but spending that much on an untested concept out of the gate seems wildly irresponsible.

In terms of quantifying things, that $1bn could have instead gone towards…
-a new cruise ship
-approx 3 E-tickets
-a land on the scale of SWGE

lentesta

Premium Member
The building no longer will be used for its original purpose. This does not mean they have to tear down the building (although they might). The building could be repurposed.

WDW has several structures that have been fully depreciated and yet still are used.

Writing this off in the last two quarters of the current fiscal year is a way to make the 2024 numbers look better. Chapek can be blamed for anything bad in FY2023. In FY2024, Iger starts to own this.

So my Pigs in Space: Galactic Starcruiser and the Electric Mahem live, double-album rock opera concept is still possible. That's what I'm hearing.

Indy_UK

Is this whole thing of writing stuff off on Tax breaks a new thing? Disney are doing it on Disney+, Warner did it on a bunch of their content.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
It's glaring proof of that. Senior executives in both the Parks group and the WDI group don't use their own products with their customers, they don't understand why their customers use their products, and they don't even seem to like their own customers much.
^THIS^

There have been numerous examples of implementing changes or rolling out new things which could have been handled in a way not to create controversy with guests but were done anyway. Most of the time it wasn't even significant items, but was bungled so badly that they became ugly public embarrassments and drivers of guest dissatisfaction.

Resort Parking Charges, EMH cutbacks, Magical Express, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom