News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

seascape

The more I read and hear about this the more I want to go. Who cares about $5,000 for 2 of us? It will only be a once every 5 years or so experience and at that price it is adfordable for us. I would even consider once every 3 years if the change the experience that often.

_caleb

Something that would have been nice is if this was like an actual star wars space cruise that had truly luxury amenities, yes an outdoor environment simulator pool, and dedicated nightly entertainment in a theater, two different restaurants, but had all the other stuff going on as well. Disney could have made this essentially a Disney Cruise in space and then added the LARPing stuff on top. This to me feels like it's LARPing front and center with a little bit of non luxury cruise tossed in. As it is, if you're not larping, there isn't much point to go and I'm too old to go around following actors telling me to go do this or that.
The Starcruiser isn't a cruise. It's pretending you're on a space cruise so you can participate in an interactive live-action show. If they'd included "all the other stuff," those people would get in the way of the interactive story. And they would be bothered by all the Star Wars geeks running around in Jedi robes pretending to smuggle a guy in a (bad) Chewbacca costume into the elevators.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I saw a review that if you don't do what they want in GE your play is affected upon return. That's sucky. Sorry but it is. I am happy to immerse myself but to make me work super hard to get cool results? Nope. Not okay.

Why? It's better that GE is integrated into the experience and not just a detour to a theme park because it happens to be nearby and people would expect it. If you are looking for just a 'half day in GE and want to not play the halycon game'.. that really should be a theme park day on your trip.

The bottom level should be fun no matter the effort.

I think the comment was simply.. those who don't participate will get a lesser experience then those that do. You can't drag people and expect mandatory fun.

_caleb

…you shouldn’t have to “work” to have fun. Participate? Yes…but not “make your own fun”

Stop angling to blame the customer, please?

…the modern bad management/PR is starting to creep in/exert mind control here

View attachment 624765
I think people are using the word "work" to mean "put a minimal amount of effort into" like "get up out of your ugly hotel ballroom chair and physically move to another part of the 'ship' so you can see the next act of the play" or "call it 'bantha' instead of 'roast beef' when you order it at the restaurant."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has consistently referred to this as an "immersive experience." This is no doubt their market-tested wording to try to explain that it's not a passive, restful and relaxing vacation. But lots of people here continue to evaluate this as though it were a resort, a hotel, a cruise, etc. when it's not and never was meant to be.

Disney did not do a great job of marketing this. But it's like all those people who complain about Disney parks not having enough thrilling rollercoasters. At some point, your expectations need to be at least somewhat informed.
Dude…they can’t even be consistent on WHAT this is…

It’s $2500 a room per night…

You need to stop obeying your master to be a bit grounded…just occasionally.

_caleb

You can try to paint me as a pixie duster here, but it seems like you're starting to argue things you don't actually believe. You know that this is and isn't. Disney has been consistent in calling it an "immersive experience." Look at the first page of this thread. The announcement of the project called it a "premium experience." Every time they talk about it, they literally say, "we've never done anything like this before," and "there's really nothing else like this."

Where they failed was in not being more proactive in explaining it and in not correcting media posts that called it the "Star Wars hotel." The price is crazy high, but I think it will serve to filter out all the people who are comparison shopping against the Poly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can try to paint me as a pixie duster here, but it seems like you're starting to argue things you don't actually believe. You know that this is and isn't. Disney has been consistent in calling it an "immersive experience." Look at the first page of this thread. The announcement of the project called it a "premium experience." Every time they talk about it, they literally say, "we've never done anything like this before," and "there's really nothing else like this."

Where they failed was in not being more proactive in explaining it and in not correcting media posts that called it the "Star Wars hotel." The price is crazy high, but I think it will serve to filter out all the people who are comparison shopping against the Poly.
Nobody knows what this is and isn’t…but we’ll
Know soon.

If you want to say it’s a bit “experimental”…I’ll give you that.

Would you believe that there was outward in the offices across from downtown Disney over 20 years ago for something up the road at sea world?

There was…the reason I’m interested in this is because I think…”think”…this is the closest shot they’ve taken to that??

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For an experience that has been billed since its very inception as being "interactive" of course you have to "work" to fun. In fact the amount of work/effort/suspension of disbelief that you put in is likely to be directly proportional to the amount of fun that you are going to have. This isn't me, or I don't think Flynnibus "angling" to blame the customer. I am flat out directly stating it. If you sign up for an interactive experience, and then don't interact or participate, you don't get to complain. Besides brain dead people who kept wondering if this experience was a "cruise" why it didn't have a pool, or actual real live laser blasters as part of light saber training, it was abundantly clear what this experience offered. Whether it was implemented well was going to be up for debate until it went live, but not WHAT it was. If you went into it and just wanted to sit back and do nothing, and then complain you didn't have fun, too bad. It would be like complaining that you spent all that money going to MK, but none of the rides were as high/fast/exciting as Kingda Ka. Of course they are not, and they never were meant to be. But you knew that going in. You want to say the games are too simplistic....that would be a valid argument. You want to say there isn't enough CM interaction story telling experiences, or that they didn't know their lines? Sure lets talk about that. Its not valid to say you didn't want to go to the bridge and play a game, or didn't want to be a first order spy, and then complain the experience wasn't fun for you.
You again?

Still haven’t mastered reading what’s posted prior to the snits yet, huh?

How much do you charge an hour? If it’s more than 2 £ a day then you’re ripping people off…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Starcruiser isn't a cruise. It's pretending you're on a space cruise so you can participate in an interactive live-action show. If they'd included "all the other stuff," those people would get in the way of the interactive story. And they would be bothered by all the Star Wars geeks running around in Jedi robes pretending to smuggle a guy in a (bad) Chewbacca costume into the elevators.
Ahhh…but they kinda let that “cruise” narrative run a little bit, didn’t they? Didn’t shut it down.

Maybe not their fault…but uncontrolled publicity isn’t necessarily a good thing.

Lilofan

An option is to pay less than half of daily rate of Star Wars hotel and experience and enjoy the opulent surroundings, first class service, etc and stay at the Ritz Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes, love staying there.

mergatroid

I think people are using the word "work" to mean "put a minimal amount of effort into" like "get up out of your ugly hotel ballroom chair and physically move to another part of the 'ship' so you can see the next act of the play" or "call it 'bantha' instead of 'roast beef' when you order it at the restaurant."
The person I saw using the word 'work' was somebody who doesn't like this experience and has admitted not liking it.

_caleb

Ahhh…but they kinda let that “cruise” narrative run a little bit, didn’t they? Didn’t shut it down.

Maybe not their fault…but uncontrolled publicity isn’t necessarily a good thing.
Because it's a pretend cruise.

And yes, once the Disneysphere cranked up the content machine to churn out hours and hours of "10 Secrets of Dinsey's New Star Wars Hotel" videos, the horse had left the barn.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because it's a pretend cruise.

And yes, once the Disneysphere cranked up the content machine to churn out hours and hours of "10 Secrets of Dinsey's New Star Wars Hotel" videos, the horse had left the barn.
The problem with “pretend cruises” is that people start to expect what real cruises do: more food, drink, loud noises and diversions than you can fit into a 24 hour day

Andrew M

This is basically fantasy camp for Star Wars fans, and they should be advertising it as such.

For those who don't know, MLB teams run 'fantasy camps' in early winter down at their Spring Training sites, its usually in the $5k range, but includes a week of lodging, meals, custom uniforms (that you get to keep) and all day baseball activities. Nobody is signing up to those to have a relaxing week, they're doing it to live out what it's like to be an MLB player.

When compared to that, the cheapest option of $1,500/person for 2 nights is sort of in the same ballpark, but I'd expect more 'souvenirs' for that price. Maybe if you got to keep movie-grade costumes and it included a droid depot and Savi's Lightsaber experience, you might approach it being 'worth it', but it's still a big stretch for me. Plus you're then crammed into a small room with 3 other adults, and you still have to pay for alcohol.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
An option is to pay less than half of daily rate of Star Wars hotel and experience and enjoy the opulent surroundings, first class service, etc and stay at the Ritz Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes, love staying there.
Listen…the “you don’t like it? You don’t have to go there!😡” Is coming…

And I agree with it. To a certain point.

But I’m also on record here of not wanting this to fail. And that doesn’t mean the vloggers saying it’s great for clicks and views prevents that.

There needs to to be delivery…not just rhetoric on some of these parks projects. And that’s been a trend.

The Star Wars land…though well funded and constructed…misses a lot of soul of a good parkland and is mostly devoid of emotion. That’s a miss. Two rides that scream “retheme” right now and it’s gonna get louder each day. Some nice shops that are focused on high cost, kinda gimmicky products.

This “cruise” needs to hit…not for Star Wars fans or stockholders…but more for the corporate culture which is not on the upswing.

Putting lights or a projection show on it ain’t gonna do much either.

_caleb

The problem with “pretend cruises” is that people start to expect what real cruises do: more food, drink, loud noises and diversions than you can fit into a 24 hour day
Exactly!
But consider the challenge: On one side, you have fans disappointed that Disney didn't promote this in-character. Like as an honest-to-goodness space cruise run by an alien cruise lines.

On the other side, DCL regulars who can't be bothered to investigate how it might not be best to directly compare this to your 7-night cruise to the Bahamas you take every year.

So they choose the WORST (in my opinion) solution: "not enough info" and then "behind the scenes without any scenes."
I don't think Disney even bothered to accurately explain the Starcruiser concept to the staff. They certainly didn't make it clear in the casting calls/CM job listings.

Of course the marketing department isn't going to do a good job trying to sell something that was never accurately explained.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly!
But consider the challenge: On one side, you have fans disappointed that Disney didn't promote this in-character. Like as an honest-to-goodness space cruise run by an alien cruise lines.

On the other side, DCL regulars who can't be bothered to investigate how it might not be best to directly compare this to your 7-night cruise to the Bahamas you take every year.

So they choose the WORST (in my opinion) solution: "not enough info" and then "behind the scenes without any scenes."
I don't think Disney even bothered to accurately explain the Starcruiser concept to the staff. They certainly didn't make it clear in the casting calls/CM job listings.

Of course the marketing department isn't going to do a good job trying to sell something that was never accurately explained.
I don’t disagree with you…

But Disney people are paid (though not at all well) and the customers are charged a fortune to do anything these days.

It’s really on them and they should get the flak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom