News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Right. The other thing I wonder about is that during the promo cruises it did not seem that the "ship" was up to capacity in terms of guests. There are a limited number of characters to interact with which makes me wonder if the majority of guests will not have personal experiences with them but rather most of the interaction will be through the data pads which would be a disappointment if I was dropping 5K or more for this. I'm looking to the reviews later in the week.
Guests have different ”itineraries” to break them up into small groups. This way, every guest is guaranteed multiple opportunities to interact with actors and to see parts of the show unfold. Also, the ”datapads” multiply the reach of character interaction and ensure that guests always know what part of the story they’re on.

_caleb

It's true though. This isn't a passive experience. To goto something like this and expect passive is like signing up for the Gym and then complaining someone expects you to actually exercise. The thing is an immersive hands on theatre show. If you sit back and cross your arms about everything you see.. yes, that's on you. If you want to focus on the guy as someone in a costume instead of playing along, yes, that's on you. No one can force you to let go and play along - someone has to let themselves do so.

The show clearly has plenty of guide rails and pushes/pokes along the way. It's not like someone needs to do homework to get ready, or is expected to meet quotas to get something out of the experience. But if you don't let yourself go, if you don't play along, then yes, you will have a lesser experience and that person needs to own most of that.
Yeah, the nature of the thing requires some level of participation. The good news is that Disney has designed the whole thing to allow for different types of participation. You can watch it unfold around you (still putting effort into finding out where things are happening and which characters to believe/root for). OR you can go all in on the interaction and in-game problem solving and try to influence the story in some way.

Or anything in between.

durangojim

Very well said. Just because I don't have a desire to go doesn't mean it is a disaster. It's just not what I had hoped or expected. Though the dining room really is kind of blah to me and the rooms do reek of 5th element. I can push past some things but not all. It's not a disaster, but I don't think I'm the intended audience.

My friend is giving me a list of 5 things to pick up from GE when I am there in 2 weeks. Short for them is their money is better spent elsewhere on things that really do appeal and to them, feel like SW.

I also will say I dislike any reviewer who states that if you don't have fun it's on you. Um, no. That's rather unfair. Not all of us want to work to make our vacation that amazing. Some of us like to see where things take us. I'll give it time of course and I know there is an audience for this. How long? That's always been my question.
Something that would have been nice is if this was like an actual star wars space cruise that had truly luxury amenities, yes an outdoor environment simulator pool, and dedicated nightly entertainment in a theater, two different restaurants, but had all the other stuff going on as well. Disney could have made this essentially a Disney Cruise in space and then added the LARPing stuff on top. This to me feels like it's LARPing front and center with a little bit of non luxury cruise tossed in. As it is, if you're not larping, there isn't much point to go and I'm too old to go around following actors telling me to go do this or that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…you shouldn’t have to “work” to have fun. Participate? Yes…but not “make your own fun”

Stop angling to blame the customer, please?

…the modern bad management/PR is starting to creep in/exert mind control here

1646149817760.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Something that would have been nice is if this was like an actual star wars space cruise that had truly luxury amenities, yes an outdoor environment simulator pool, and dedicated nightly entertainment in a theater, two different restaurants, but had all the other stuff going on as well. Disney could have made this essentially a Disney Cruise in space and then added the LARPing stuff on top. This to me feels like it's LARPing front and center with a little bit of non luxury cruise tossed in. As it is, if you're not larping, there isn't much point to go and I'm too old to go around following actors telling me to go do this or that.
Disney can, and in my opinion, should, create a luxury SW hotel that is not a LARP. Even have a *pool*!!

But, for the LARP, you need to have things a bit more controlled and hemmed in. You don't want to entice people to check out of the role-playing by hanging by the pool for the better part of the day. People *can* check out and watch TV all day in their room if they want. But, you don't want to lure people away from the action. Because, you know those people who spent all day at the pool are going to go online and trash the event because they "didn't get" the role-playing aspect and had no idea what was happening at the finalé.

mergatroid

…you shouldn’t have to “work” to have fun. Participate? Yes…but not “make your own fun”

View attachment 624765
Agree 100% and 'participate' is the much better word you used. I went to look who had said that you had to 'work to enjoy it' and it was from somebody who's admittedly not a fan rather than any of us saying it looks quite fun. The replies to that all omitted the word 'work' instead using similar expressions to 'participate'.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, the nature of the thing requires some level of participation. The good news is that Disney has designed the whole thing to allow for different types of participation. You can watch it unfold around you (still putting effort into finding out where things are happening and which characters to believe/root for). OR you can go all in on the interaction and in-game problem solving and try to influence the story in some way.

Or anything in between.
Yup, which is the pitch all along... but too many people trying to micro-disect and over analyze it and insert their own 'what ifs' over the last years has made that hard for people to see. It's still uncertain how entertained the 'mom who isn't interested' will be, but they will have opportunities. We will just have to wait to see how it plays out in the wild.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a participatory event. You get out of it what you put in. It has never been portrayed as a thing you just watch.

So, yeah, I will blame the customer who signs up for a marathon and doesn't run.
It’s up to Disney to create the good. They aren’t a charity…hence the fees.

This isn’t a $100 marathon entry, a birthday party, or a church picnic.

Nah…they need to deliver. Don’t be a mark before anyone has seen it.

Can we skip the Broadway and super bowl comparisons as to why this isn’t expensive while we’re at it too?

Winnebago

It’s been mentioned a few times in the mainstream media (I want to say in Solo and in an episode of The Mandalorian) but I too am shocked there hasn’t been something taking place on Batuu already.
Black Spire is mentioned by Lando’s love interest… err, droid… in Solo, but you need a really keen ear and understanding of the new expanded canon to connect that to Batuu if you ask me. I’d surmise it just goes over most people’s heads as a throwaway line. I don’t recall any reference to Batuu in the Mandalorian.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I also will say I dislike any reviewer who states that if you don't have fun it's on you. Um, no. That's rather unfair. Not all of us want to work to make our vacation that amazing. Some of us like to see where things take us. I'll give it time of course and I know there is an audience for this. How long? That's always been my question.
This.

It’s become a more frequent and incorrect stance by the Guard.

It is up to Disney to make good things. Not up to us to “get on board” and believe them IF our eyes and feelings don't agree.

They can say what they want but they get no benefit of the doubt/leeway on the rhetoric.

That’s cynical and a bit abusive. They use their own history and our memories as a “shield” from criticism and feel entitled to it. Those checks were cashed already. Tough world if you’re an international entertainment conglomerate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
All they really need to do is upgrade the seating and overall change the lighting a bit to make it feel more upscale (but not too dark)....I tried to do that below

Also, I think what would help is some more things in motion on that top lighting structure...so at least when you're there in person it would look more special. ...like all of those things rotating around would look cool (reminds me of some things in Final Fantasy X if anyone remembers that)

View attachment 624726
Kinda looks like a bowling alley...

JMcMahonEsq

View attachment 624765
For an experience that has been billed since its very inception as being "interactive" of course you have to "work" to fun. In fact the amount of work/effort/suspension of disbelief that you put in is likely to be directly proportional to the amount of fun that you are going to have. This isn't me, or I don't think Flynnibus "angling" to blame the customer. I am flat out directly stating it. If you sign up for an interactive experience, and then don't interact or participate, you don't get to complain. Besides brain dead people who kept wondering if this experience was a "cruise" why it didn't have a pool, or actual real live laser blasters as part of light saber training, it was abundantly clear what this experience offered. Whether it was implemented well was going to be up for debate until it went live, but not WHAT it was. If you went into it and just wanted to sit back and do nothing, and then complain you didn't have fun, too bad. It would be like complaining that you spent all that money going to MK, but none of the rides were as high/fast/exciting as Kingda Ka. Of course they are not, and they never were meant to be. But you knew that going in. You want to say the games are too simplistic....that would be a valid argument. You want to say there isn't enough CM interaction story telling experiences, or that they didn't know their lines? Sure lets talk about that. Its not valid to say you didn't want to go to the bridge and play a game, or didn't want to be a first order spy, and then complain the experience wasn't fun for you.

correcaminos

For an experience that has been billed since its very inception as being "interactive" of course you have to "work" to fun. In fact the amount of work/effort/suspension of disbelief that you put in is likely to be directly proportional to the amount of fun that you are going to have. This isn't me, or I don't think Flynnibus "angling" to blame the customer. I am flat out directly stating it. If you sign up for an interactive experience, and then don't interact or participate, you don't get to complain. Besides brain dead people who kept wondering if this experience was a "cruise" why it didn't have a pool, or actual real live laser blasters as part of light saber training, it was abundantly clear what this experience offered. Whether it was implemented well was going to be up for debate until it went live, but not WHAT it was. If you went into it and just wanted to sit back and do nothing, and then complain you didn't have fun, too bad. It would be like complaining that you spent all that money going to MK, but none of the rides were as high/fast/exciting as Kingda Ka. Of course they are not, and they never were meant to be. But you knew that going in. You want to say the games are too simplistic....that would be a valid argument. You want to say there isn't enough CM interaction story telling experiences, or that they didn't know their lines? Sure lets talk about that. Its not valid to say you didn't want to go to the bridge and play a game, or didn't want to be a first order spy, and then complain the experience wasn't fun for you.
I saw a review that if you don't do what they want in GE your play is affected upon return. That's sucky. Sorry but it is. I am happy to immerse myself but to make me work super hard to get cool results? Nope. Not okay.

However you totally missed what I was trying to say. I'm cool with being guided to good story. I'm even good with asking for something that might bring extra. I am NOT okay with those stating if you don't try enough you won't have fun. The bottom level should be fun no matter the effort.

_caleb

This.

It’s become a more frequent and incorrect stance by the Guard.

It is up to Disney to make good things. Not up to us to “get on board” and believe them IF our eyes and feelings don't agree.

They can say what they want but they get no benefit of the doubt/leeway on the rhetoric.

That’s cynical and a bit abusive. They use their own history and our memories as a “shield” from criticism and feel entitled to it. Those checks were cashed already. Tough world if you’re an international entertainment conglomerate.
Disney has consistently referred to this as an "immersive experience." This is no doubt their market-tested wording to try to explain that it's not a passive, restful and relaxing vacation. But lots of people here continue to evaluate this as though it were a resort, a hotel, a cruise, etc. when it's not and never was meant to be.

Disney did not do a great job of marketing this. But it's like all those people who complain about Disney parks not having enough thrilling rollercoasters. At some point, your expectations need to be at least somewhat informed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you don’t play the game, why would you pay all that money to play the game?

This sums it up. What is being sold is an experience/game... it's not a resort, it's not spa, it's not a movie to sit back and watch. You are literally buying a spot in the 'game'. Why would you buy a movie ticket and then ask "well what if I want to goto the pool instead?"

Every argument about 'what if I want to leave and goto a park'... or 'what if I don't want to?'.. or 'what if I want to go to...' all are immediately ID'd as simply argumentative when you accept that you bought an entry into an activity... one that simply lasts longer and includes a sleep over.

_caleb

I saw a review that if you don't do what they want in GE your play is affected upon return. That's sucky. Sorry but it is. I am happy to immerse myself but to make me work super hard to get cool results? Nope. Not okay.

However you totally missed what I was trying to say. I'm cool with being guided to good story. I'm even good with asking for something that might bring extra. I am NOT okay with those stating if you don't try enough you won't have fun. The bottom level should be fun no matter the effort.
In the videos from the previews, there seemed to be as many people recording video of each "story moment" as there were people "participating." I would imagine those "videographers" had a good bit of fun even through they chose a more passive form of participation.

I think you might be reading into the whole idea of "you have to put in the work." I don't think it means you have to play pretend. I think it just means you have to keep up with the story–and to do this, you need to physically go to different locations and pay more attention to the actor playing the part of the Spy than the CM leading the "dance lesson."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Something that would have been nice is if ...
Yes, but that's not what this is.

This to me feels like it's LARPing front and center with a little bit of non luxury cruise tossed in.

Yes, it's always been about going on a journey as a form of entertainment. It is not a 'star wars themed hotel' that people keep trying to challenge 'why isn't it...'.

Maybe Disney will build a Star Wars hotel somewhere else... this isn't it, and never was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom