News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SW: Original Trilogy wasn't going to be able to rehashed forever... they needed new stories, new characters. Just like Lucas introduced new planets, new characters in each film. Disney went with the 'bridge' approach to try to make a hand-off between OT and NextGen as you put it. They just screwed up the trilogy and most of the characters/places just flat out missed and no one cares about them.

It was a story/writing failure. The 'business side' of it is like 'duh'... you can't keep retelling the same story, your live action people are going to die, and you are desperate to make NEW content... not just live off the convention circuit. New characters, new stories was obvious.

Tying GE and this to the new stories is an obvious choice from that mission.. the problem is Disney built and then bet on a crap horse.
You mean this:

1646078669076.jpeg

Worked about as well too

WDWFREAK53

I'm sorry if this has already been answered...but did any of the vloggers mention an excursion to Batuu in their itinerary? I'm just curious as to the shuttle from the Halcyon to Batuu (which I'm sure is the same experience as going to the Halcyon) as well as if you're allowed to venture out of Batuu into the rest of the park. Also, while on Batuu, does your story continue or are you just brought on the two attractions in a guided fashion and then sent back to the Halcyon.

jinx8402

I'm sorry if this has already been answered...but did any of the vloggers mention an excursion to Batuu in their itinerary? I'm just curious as to the shuttle from the Halcyon to Batuu (which I'm sure is the same experience as going to the Halcyon) as well as if you're allowed to venture out of Batuu into the rest of the park. Also, while on Batuu, does your story continue or are you just brought on the two attractions in a guided fashion and then sent back to the Halcyon.
It is not guided, and there are tasks for you to do while in Batuu that relate to the side stories/quests you do as part of your Halycon stay. There is no stopping people from going to other parts of HS, but I don't foresee many people venturing out. Apparently, there almost no downtime between events and the side quests. I doubt people paying $6k+ will want to waste time that could be spent on the experience itself. But again, nothing stopping them if they want to.

VJ

Everyone “star cruiser is going to fail!!!”

Star cruiser *doesnt fail*
Star cruiser *fully booked till the end of summer*
Star cruiser *getting great reviews*

Everyone “yah but ... but... it’ll never last!!”
Modern Disney does not fail. Projects are either a success or never brought up again unless they can be monetized for nostalgia purposes.

flynnibus

Premium Member

the storylines from the halycon continue in batuu with your datapad. Basically treasure hunt/sorcerors of the magic kingdom kinda missions. The app seems to keep feeding you plot/mission stuff so that can keep you pretty busy if you buy into that entertainment.

No guides/CMs.. but your nice pin makes it visible to CMs that you are a halycon guest so they may interact with you differently based on that.

Roy G. Dis

Is there anything MAJOR stopping Disney from trying to reboot/retheme SW:GE as an OT-themed land with Han, Chewie, Luke, Vader, etc. walking around after Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill pass?

_caleb

Is there anything MAJOR stopping Disney from trying to reboot/retheme SW:GE as an OT-themed land with Han, Chewie, Luke, Vader, etc. walking around after Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill pass?
Not anymore. The desire to support the Sequel Trilogy (*without spoiling the films) was the main driver for the decision. Now that the ST is complete, the only thing holding them back is the desire for thematic integrity. They’re not going to retheme RotR around the OT, and they’ve just launched the Starcruiser, which features ST characters.

I would imagine they’re waiting to see how the Obi-Wan series does, but considering whether or not to go all in on the Mando timeline, since it’s where new (Disney) characters and OT characters can overlap.

Roy G. Dis

Not anymore. The desire to support the Sequel Trilogy (*without spoiling the films) was the main driver for the decision. Now that the ST is complete, the only thing holding them back is the desire for thematic integrity. They’re not going to retheme RotR around the OT, and they’ve just launched the Starcruiser, which features ST characters.

I would imagine they’re waiting to see how the Obi-Wan series does, but considering whether or not to go all in on the Mando timeline, since it’s where new (Disney) characters and OT characters can overlap.

Yeah this is just my baseless noodling here but why wouldn't they ride out this terrible ST IP until the public is completely tired of it and then just put the whole thing into a refurb and suddenly Batuu reemerges as Tatooine between ROTJ and TFA? Just make some new videos for Smuggler's run and some new plots (with some old faces!) for the Starcruiser?

Only question is what to do with Rise of the Resistance.

James Alucobond

Yeah this is just my baseless noodling here but why wouldn't they ride out this terrible ST IP until the public is completely tired of it and then just put the whole thing into a refurb and suddenly Batuu reemerges as Tatooine between ROTJ and TFA? Just make some new videos for Smuggler's run and some new plots (with some old faces!) for the Starcruiser?

It seems a massive undertaking to do all of that given what they’ve put into the land. I personally think it’s more reasonable to believe they might eventually move or ditch the Muppets and build out a more generic Star Wars area that works in Star Tours and uses some of the parking lot for expansion space. If the area by the stunt show became an Indiana Jones area, you’d have an uninterrupted arc of Lucas stuff on that side of the park.

kingdead

Replace Kylo with Vader, and Hux with Piett. Dameron's cockpit footage with Wedge. Rey's hologram with BOBF-viz Luke. BB-8 with R2-D2.
Or just run rides from different movies! If they're not going to give the "you're in a whole new world" experience to the regular customer, let them have fun at least!

_caleb

Yeah this is just my speculation but why wouldn't they ride out this terrible ST IP until the public is completely tired of it and then just put the whole thing into a refurb and suddenly Batuu reemerges as Tatooine. Just make some new videos for Smuggler's run and some new plots (with some old faces!) for the Starcruiser?

As long as change the Millennium Falcon‘s rectenna to fit the era…

_caleb

Replace Kylo with Vader, and Hux with Piett. Dameron's cockpit footage with Wedge. Rey's hologram with BOBF-viz Luke. BB-8 with R2-D2.
And the AT-AT walkers. And all the First Order stoormtroopers. And and the TIE fighter. But yes, it could be done:
There's already a discussion on this in the Rise of the Resistance thread. I forgot who but someone who was an inside source said that yes they can definitely changed the ride to OT, it wouldn't take long to change the theme, and that imagineers were already looking into how they can change it. Here's the quote from the rumor tracker in the WDW Rumor page-

• Rise of the Resistance: Overlay?
    • Rise of the Resistance could be rethemed to another era in the Star Wars timeline [here] (in fact, that was a point imagineers made about SWL when building it.
    • Any new timeline overlay would not be a seasonal thing, but permanent [here] (until they decide to change it again)
    • Such a change (not decided upon yet) would take less than a year [here]
  • Any "Phase II" updates to Galaxy's Edge is now indefinitely delayed [here]

_caleb

Or just run rides from different movies! If they're not going to give the "you're in a whole new world" experience to the regular customer, let them have fun at least!
Pretty sure Universal’s WWoHP is the model here. Why have a single multi-setting Star Wars land when you can charge to “fly” people from one single-setting Star Wars land to another?

yensidtlaw1969

You know, this may be silly, but I almost wonder how perception could or would have been changed if Disney had first filmed some sort of Halcyon Mini Series or Special for Disney+ that was released a few months before the first guest voyages. Outside of the comics it seems like they were deeply invested in keeping this all secret, but imagine how much interest there'd be if guests had seen some sort of compelling episode that took place aboard the ship and then found out they could take a cruise on it themselves. They have the sets fully built, it might have been as simple as creating a storyline around an earlier notable voyage in the history of the ship and filming at least some of it there. Maybe show us how Captain Keevan ascended to her role from a lower rank. Heck, you could even just set an episode of the Mandalorian on the ship and I bet the Halcyon's Q-Rating would fly through the roof overnight.

I'm still a little surprised that Disney hasn't yet really tried to take advantage of Galaxy's Edge's fully realized environments as setpieces for other media. I know there were restrictions in place, but Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge sat collecting dust for more than a year. Imagine if somewhere in that window they had filmed an episode of something in the park that treated the land like the real planet we're meant to see it as. They'll never get the land that empty again for serious filming, at least not during guest hours (*knocks on wood*).

_caleb

You know, this may be silly, but I almost wonder how perception could or would have been changed if Disney had first filmed some sort of Halcyon Mini Series or Special for Disney+ that was released a few months before the first guest voyages. Outside of the comics it seems like they were deeply invested in keeping this all secret, but imagine how much interest there'd be if guests had seen some sort of compelling episode that took place aboard the ship and then found out they could take a cruise on it themselves. They have the sets fully built, it might have been as simple as creating a storyline around an earlier notable voyage in the history of the ship and filming at least some of it there. Maybe show us how Captain Keevan ascended to her role from a lower rank. Heck, you could even just set an episode of the Mandalorian on the ship and I bet the Halcyon's Q-Rating would fly through the roof overnight.

I'm still a little surprised that Disney hasn't yet really tried to take advantage of Galaxy's Edge's fully realized environments as setpieces for other media. I know there were restrictions in place, but Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge sat collecting dust for more than a year. Imagine if somewhere in that window they had filmed an episode of something in the park that treated the land like the real planet we're meant to see it as. They'll never get the land that empty again for serious filming, at least not during guest hours (*knocks on wood*).
I thought we would have seen more of this by now, too.

Also, if they start filming in SW:GE East, maybe they won‘t be so tempted to change the name from Disney‘s Hollywood Studios to Cinemagine Park!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom