News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
LOL I am not young!

And our generation (Gen X) was not given a “seat at the table” because the Boomers wouldn’t let go. But we won’t really get one, because Millennials and Gen Z are taking theirs and rearranging the furniture.

You said it yourself:

It’s the “hipster” Imagineers (that several people here were ridiculing) who get the deep dive stuff and are getting Disney to take risks getting into it.

Those self-identified Star Wars fans in this thread who’ve been saying, “Nobody wanted this!” or “Real fans want ______.” Are missing it. The fandom decides what about the franchise they like and how they want to enjoy it, and OT fans are not the gatekeepers they used to be.

The younger generation doesn’t need to have money in order to make the Starcruiser work for Disney. They have influence, which controls the money.
Oh…then you know what I’m talking about with those little weasels 🦡

…my mistake…I confused your deep love of imagineering with being trapped in twitterdom. Won’t happen again 👍🏻

And I never said any of that. I say all the time that the management is bad…which it is.

Gen Y/Z isn’t taking over the money halls of power because they learned sarcasm on Twitter and Instagram…they think they are.

Gen x did get that “bad rep” of being too cynical and set it back…true…but as boomers pass they’ll fill that void. Cynicism is becoming a virtue against the crazies

This was built because of the Bobs trying to “outsmart” the amusement industry and mouthing off to investors all the time.

They’ve sold a bill of goods on parks and haven’t gotten caught in a bind…yet

Last edited:

_caleb

Oh…then you know what I’m talking about with those little weasels 🦡

…my mistake…I confused your deep love of imagineering with being trapped in twitterdom. Won’t happen again 👍🏻
I‘m a Star Wars fan. I only recently fell into the Disney Defense League, and really only on this thread. And I’m not sure the Starcruiser is going to be a huge success! But I am really pleased (I think we all should be) that Disney is taking a risk and doing something different, and I love that they’re making stuff for people who don’t fall into the more traditional fan categories and stereotypes.

EDT: I want a more nerdy, geeky Disney!

UNCgolf

I‘m a Star Wars fan. I only recently fell into the Disney Defense League, and really only on this thread. And I’m not sure the Starcruiser is going to be a huge success! But I am really pleased (I think we all should be) that Disney is taking a risk and doing something different, and I love that they’re making stuff for people who don’t fall into the more traditional fan categories and stereotypes.

I'm in two minds about this. I do like the idea of Disney doing something new and different, but I really do not like it being stuck behind a massive paywall -- especially when a lot of it should be in the theme park (and was actually announced to be in the theme park).

I do not want Disney to essentially give up on doing anything really innovative in the parks and shunting all of that to upcharge experiences, and in this case it's not solely new things but also entertainment etc. that used to go in the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

EDT: I want a more nerdy, geeky Disney!
I’m very mixed anytime you put “Disney” and “Star Wars” in the same sentence.

It should work, right? I wish I had my old material from the other board to just read what I said in 2012? I thought it was slam dunk. Avengers had just come out and the template seemed so obvious…

Also was fully on board when the land construction leaked out. No brainer again…finally a Star Wars playground without the Lucas/Eisner power struggles getting in the way? How could you mess that up?

…you see where this is going? This again was a chance to do something obvious. But there’s this “thing” that sticks out to me.

_caleb

I'm in two minds about this. I do like the idea of Disney doing something new and different, but I really do not like it being stuck behind a massive paywall -- especially when a lot of it should be in the theme park (and was actually announced to be in the theme park).

I do not want Disney to essentially give up on doing anything really innovative in the parks and shunting all of that to upcharge experiences, and in this case it's not solely new things but also entertainment etc. that used to go in the parks.
I totally agree. And by my estimation, the best way to encourage this is to continue to say “I get what Disney is trying to do, and it looks like fun. But it’s too expensive.”

Cesar R M

Wait—did you think I meant NO ONE liked seeing Luke’s appearance in the Mandalorian?

And were the extended Luke scenes in the Book of Boba Fett get the same reaction? Will they continue to forever?

I just think there’s a balance that Disney realizes it needs but hasn’t done a great job with. They can’t just rehash the same characters forever. So they killed them off–which they now realize probably wasn’t the best approach, and now they’re bringing them back, which will eventually lead casuals to complain that they’re oversaturating and not being creative…
And this brings another very disgusting dilemma that companies will sure try to use at all costs.

Digitalizing actors and have them portray X thing forever even if the actor is dead by using deepfakes or in the future, full fledged AI based systems.

I mean, they already used A.I. to voice "luke" in a few episodes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

1646076248761.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And this brings another very disgusting dilemma that companies will sure try to use at all costs.

Digitalizing actors and have them portray X thing forever even if the actor is dead by using deepfakes or in the future, full fledged AI based systems.

I mean, they already used A.I. to voice "luke" in a few episodes.
Honestly…I’m ok with it if they somehow replace Carrie Fisher…

That was an indescribable debacle.

_caleb

I’m very mixed anytime you put “Disney” and “Star Wars” in the same sentence.

It should work, right? I wish I had my old material from the other board to just read what I said in 2012? I thought it was slam dunk. Avengers had just come out and the template seemed so obvious…

Also was fully on board when the land construction leaked out. No brainer again…finally a Star Wars playground without the Lucas/Eisner power struggles getting in the way? How could you mess that up?

…you see where this is going? This again was a chance to do something obvious. But there’s this “thing” that sticks out to me.
It was a conscious decision made by the business people at Disney. The property is extremely valuable, but it’s also volatile and radioactive. Even ol’ George couldn’t seem to get it right.

So they tried to create ”Star Wars, the Next Generation.” And it worked (to make money), but was, um hit and miss at making fans.

But SW:GE was too big an opportunity to try to promote the new stuff. Can you imagine the narrative if Batuu had been Tatoonie? Casual fans and OT would love it, but “Disney doesn’t even believe in their new characters enough to feature them in their new parks!”

The Starcruiser skips all of that by focusing on a corner of the fandom that gets into fan fiction. That’s SUPER deep. Chewy, Kyle Ren, and Rey make cameo appearances, but the experience isn’t “look at the character everyone recognizes!” it’s about the feeling of a Star Wars (-ish) story unfolding around you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a conscious decision made by the business people at Disney. The property is extremely valuable, but it’s also volatile and radioactive. Even ol’ George couldn’t seem to get it right.

So they tried to create ”Star Wars, the Next Generation.” And it worked (to make money), but was, um hit and miss at making fans.

But SW:GE was too big an opportunity to try to promote the new stuff. Can you imagine the narrative if Batuu had been Tatoonie? Casual fans and OT would love it, but “Disney doesn’t even believe in their new characters enough to feature them in their new parks!”

The Starcruiser skips all of that by focusing on a corner of the fandom that gets into fan fiction. That’s SUPER deep. Chewy, Kyle Ren, and Rey make cameo appearances, but the experience isn’t “look at the character everyone recognizes!” it’s about the feeling of a Star Wars (-ish) story unfolding around you.
It’s funny you mentioned Star Trek references…

Because it’s not Star Trek…where “the next generation “ would have worked.

My point again: you can splain away what their “rationale” was…just as the legion of George tried 20 years ago. It doesn’t wash. That’s why it’s Star Wars.

You need the people that “felt it”…not just watch it as they move on to Fast and Furious 14…and when you tell them what they should or shouldn’t like…they’ll hit you in the wallet. Undefeated.

lunchbox1175

Takers was in 2009/2010. His daughter with his ex girlfriend was born in 2014.
Fine, if you want to get technical, he did an interview in 2007 saying he was walking away from acting for a while to become a farmer. He was with Rachel Bilson from 2007 to 2017. So it isn't like he was forced out of Hollywood like everyone likes to portray.

kingdead

Oooooh, that makes sense. It's basically the equivalent of childhood stories where you are best friends with Harry Potter, I mean Luke Skywalker and you fight baddies and meet cool new characters that you made up (however Luke does not fall in love with you in the Starcruiser, I'm assuming).

celluloid

This hits hard because I feel at the end of the day it is truth. Take the Star Wars theme out of the equation, and you are seeing a good product that should be what people have expected and for good reason, from the Disney theme park and resorts for a long time, this is just the first time there is such a financial gap between it.

Hoop De Doo did interactive theater as did Citizens of Hollywood. This is it done in a themed hotel and done to the standard, but the Hoop De Doo and Citizens of Hollywood type things are going further away and seem to be sacrifices for this.

_caleb

It’s funny you mentioned Star Trek references…
Actually, it was a Degrassi reference… 😛
Because it’s not Star Trek…where “the next generation “ would have worked.

My point again: you can splain away what their “rationale” was…just as the legion of George tried 20 years ago. It doesn’t wash. That’s why it’s Star Wars.

You need the people that “felt it”…not just watch it as they move on to Fast and Furious 14…and when you tell them what they should or shouldn’t like…they’ll hit you in the wallet. Undefeated.
But you’re arguing from “they should have.” And OT fans said the PT would kill the franchise. It may have disappointed them, but it didn’t turn OT fans off of the OT. If anything, it made new/more fans of the OT—but these were DIFFERENT kinds of fans. They actually interpret the OT through the newer stuff. Same with ST, RO, and the D+ shows. Starcruiser and has the potential to do the same.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This hits hard because I feel at the end of the day it is truth. Take the Star Wars theme out of the equation, and you are seeing a good product that should be what people have expected and for good reason, from the Disney theme park and resorts for a long time, this is just the first time there is such a financial gap between it.

Hoop De Doo did interactive theater as did Citizens of Hollywood. This is it done in a themed hotel and done to the standard, but the Hoop De Doo and Citizens of Hollywood type things are going further away and seem to be sacrifices for this.
What’s crazy are these increases to park tickets to see how far they’ll go in there $10,000 a week “slumming”…might want to keep an eye on that

flynnibus

Premium Member

SW: Original Trilogy wasn't going to be able to rehashed forever... they needed new stories, new characters. Just like Lucas introduced new planets, new characters in each film. Disney went with the 'bridge' approach to try to make a hand-off between OT and NextGen as you put it. They just screwed up the trilogy and most of the characters/places just flat out missed and no one cares about them.

It was a story/writing failure. The 'business side' of it is like 'duh'... you can't keep retelling the same story, your live action people are going to die, and you are desperate to make NEW content... not just live off the convention circuit. New characters, new stories was obvious.

Tying GE and this to the new stories is an obvious choice from that mission.. the problem is Disney built and then bet on a crap horse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, it was a Degrassi reference… 😛

But you’re arguing from “they should have.” And OT fans said the PT would kill the franchise. It may have disappointed them, but it didn’t turn OT fans off of the OT. If anything, it made new/more fans of the OT—but these were DIFFERENT kinds of fans. They actually interpret the OT through the newer stuff. Same with ST, RO, and the D+ shows. Starcruiser and has the potential to do the same.
Disney rejected the OT and took a punch to the face…now they’re dabbling in it and hinting at It constantly as well…and by gosh…look what happens?

We might actually agree here…

The only thing the DT did was make more people upgrade the EU and PT…slightly

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom