News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The calendar shows different things to different people (and different things to the same people on repeat visits to the site).
Well, if there were sleight of hand going on... portraying one month being totally sold out in order to first fill another month would be a thing...

It'd be an advanced version of not even allowing bookings past September in order to fill up the sooner months first.

Skywise

They obviously didn't feel that way and since TFA basically paid for their acquisition of LFL I guess they were right.
Actually, NO - TFA accounted for, at best 1.5 billion of the 4 billion cost for LFL (and that doesn't include production/marketing costs). Solo lost money and while Rogue One and TLJ made decent inroads (but nowhere near TFA money), the franchise has petered out with ROTS and they still haven't recouped the costs for LFL yet.

_caleb

Well, if there were sleight of hand going on... portraying one month being totally sold out in order to first fill another month would be a thing...

It'd be an advanced version of not even allowing bookings past September in order to fill up the sooner months first.
This is what I think they’re doing. To put the pressure on people they think might be on the bubble about booking. Like artificial scarcity.

Like when I feel like I’ve hit the lottery because the ADR I tried to get at 60 days out suddenly came open (but at an odd hour or something), so I rearrange all my vacation plans around it.

corran horn

Actually, NO - TFA accounted for, at best 1.5 billion of the 4 billion cost for LFL (and that doesn't include production/marketing costs). Solo lost money and while Rogue One and TLJ made decent inroads (but nowhere near TFA money), the franchise has petered out with ROTS and they still haven't recouped the costs for LFL yet.

Cesar R M

Uh huh...

I dunno man, This looks Shopped...

1646072718993.png

pdude81

TFA after production and marketing may have not made that back on it's own yet, but Mando is huge for D+ subscription numbers which really move the needle on market cap. Plus there were other movies that made good money. Also how much do they have to pay for licensing on Star Wars properties in the parks now? And merchandise? Fuggettaboutit

_caleb

Uh huh...

Wait—did you think I meant NO ONE liked seeing Luke’s appearance in the Mandalorian?

And were the extended Luke scenes in the Book of Boba Fett get the same reaction? Will they continue to forever?

I just think there’s a balance that Disney realizes it needs but hasn’t done a great job with. They can’t just rehash the same characters forever. So they killed them off–which they now realize probably wasn’t the best approach, and now they’re bringing them back, which will eventually lead casuals to complain that they’re oversaturating and not being creative…

erasure fan1

The fact of the matter is that while they very well may make millions off of this they're leaving BILLIONS on the table if they had just catered to the original movies and characters (and this is true of Galaxy's Edge too)
At the very least, imagine a sit down restaurant themed to the OT. Each room with a specific OT theme. Jabbas palace, hoth, the forest moon... Then you have Vader, Jedi, classic aliens and droids walking around. And you can have R2 units with the drink tray attachments helping the servers. It would literally PRINT money. It is exactly what everyone thought we would be getting with Disney buying Lucasfilm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don’t start down the “fun with numbers” road 😂

…has Disney paid off That loan and made some cash? Absolutely

Have the cost themselves probably a billion(s) in lost potential? Absolutely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah - I'm not sure why there was such a push for this given COVID and the other economic conditions (or maybe there's some tax break/credit in there they could take advantage of with all the money flying about from congress)

The fact of the matter is that while they very well may make millions off of this they're leaving BILLIONS on the table if they had just catered to the original movies and characters (and this is true of Galaxy's Edge too)
I’m not entirely sure that’s true…and I’ll remind I’m a general at the front of the column of the old guard…but you can’t say definitively if old guard was the no brainer in this sense.

Was it a better option than what they did? Oh hell yeah…

Make Skywalker a coward and flush Akbar out a window to do some silly “Leia might be fond of the ladies” 3 scene side story??

I mean…come on…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the very least, imagine a sit down restaurant themed to the OT. Each room with a specific OT theme. Jabbas palace, hoth, the forest moon... Then you have Vader, Jedi, classic aliens and droids walking around. And you can have R2 units with the drink tray attachments helping the servers. It would literally PRINT money. It is exactly what everyone thought we would be getting with Disney buying Lucasfilm.
Sounds like T-Rex…

But to your point: they’d beat people away with sticks more than the Elsa meet and greet circa 2013.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know a lot of Star Wars fans have speculated this, but I still don’t think it’s true. Younger fans on YouTube, etc. ridicule current Star Wars for being too tied to the OT (see some of the negative reaction to CGI Luke and other fan service in the Book of Boba Fett).
To be honest…they don’t have the money. And they don’t have the pull over kids and an increasing number of grandkids.

Gen X is the second largest generation in world history…
Only in Hollywood/New York are people stupid enough to think it’s “not enough”

It’s like reasoning using Occam’s razor against yourself

You showed your youthful idealism a little here. Do you think hypercritical/vocal children of the social media age have a seat at the table on who runs the world yet? Not gonna be for a while.

pdude81

The Mandalorian proves the concept, though. It’s a nerdy deep-dive show that found mass appeal—partially because it resonated with superfans who then recommmended the show and generated a TON of content around them (explainer videos, memes, fan fiction, etc).

You’re right that it’s a tricky tightrope to walk, though. The Book of Boba Fett was full of fan service, but may have been lost in the space between Star Wars super nerds and the general population who really just liked Baby Yoda.

I’m wondering if this might be the case with the Starcruiser—for the Boomer/GenX fans, it’s not “Starwarsy” enough, and for the casual “fans,” it’s too nerdy.
Mando is a new story with new characters in a familiar time. BOBF is really tough because that's an established character that people had existing opinions on. I think that will be a tremendous success if it serves as a vehicle to tie the OT into these new shows and storylines. It was an ok series IMO, worth watching. What it moves forward as far as the interactions in the Ahsoka show and Mando we can't quite know yet.

_caleb

To be honest…they don’t have the money. And they don’t have the pull over kids and an increasing number of grandkids.

Gen X is the second largest generation in world history…
Only in Hollywood/New York are people stupid enough to think it’s “not enough”

It’s like reasoning using Occam’s razor against yourself

You showed your youthful idealism a little here. Do you think hypercritical/vocal children of the social media age have a seat at the table on who runs the world yet? Not gonna be for a while.
LOL I am not young!

And our generation (Gen X) was not given a “seat at the table” because the Boomers wouldn’t let go. But we won’t really get one, because Millennials and Gen Z are taking theirs and rearranging the furniture.

You said it yourself:
I’m still a tad surprised they followed through and built this? The economic condition was right but the franchise and licensing were in a bad spot during preconstruction.
It’s the “hipster” Imagineers (that several people here were ridiculing) who get the deep dive stuff and are getting Disney to take risks getting into it.

Those self-identified Star Wars fans in this thread who’ve been saying, “Nobody wanted this!” or “Real fans want ______.” Are missing it. The fandom decides what about the franchise they like and how they want to enjoy it, and OT fans are not the gatekeepers they used to be.

The younger generation doesn’t need to have money in order to make the Starcruiser work for Disney. They have influence, which controls the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom