News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Cesar R M

SW: Original Trilogy wasn't going to be able to rehashed forever... they needed new stories, new characters. Just like Lucas introduced new planets, new characters in each film. Disney went with the 'bridge' approach to try to make a hand-off between OT and NextGen as you put it. They just screwed up the trilogy and most of the characters/places just flat out missed and no one cares about them.

It was a story/writing failure. The 'business side' of it is like 'duh'... you can't keep retelling the same story, your live action people are going to die, and you are desperate to make NEW content... not just live off the convention circuit. New characters, new stories was obvious.

Tying GE and this to the new stories is an obvious choice from that mission.. the problem is Disney built and then bet on a crap horse.
This is why in general the new Star Wars tanked.. first of the new trilogy added new characters.. but the plot was almost the same as the first original trilogy.
Then added even worse BS to justify all skywalkers and original characters dying... while throwing under the bus the characters that had more potential and were full of charisma.

erasure fan1

So they tried to create ”Star Wars, the Next Generation.” And it worked (to make money), but was, um hit and miss at making fans.
They tried to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted the classic characters to play on nostalgia but had no intention of really caring for them. If the intent was to move forward, they should have..... moved forward. Either go old republic, or 300yrs plus into the future.
But SW:GE was too big an opportunity to try to promote the new stuff. Can you imagine the narrative if Batuu had been Tatoonie? Casual fans and OT would love it, but “Disney doesn’t even believe in their new characters enough to feature them in their new parks!”
Except that's a bit counter intuitive. You ended up with that being said anyway because there was no Mando and baby yoda in black spire. That's why the whole land should have been a celebration of all eras of star wars.
Chewy, Kyle Ren, and Rey make cameo appearances, but the experience isn’t “look at the character everyone recognizes!” it’s about the feeling of a Star Wars (-ish) story unfolding around you.
True, but unfortunately they missed the whole "feeling of star wars". That has been my take away from every video I have watched. It just doesn't feel like star wars. And the reason is, so much of what feels star wars, is wraped up in the iconic imagery. Classic aliens, droids, vehicles... So for better or for worse, when you leave that imagery out, you just end up with generic science fiction.

fngoofy

72849449-36a9-4595-8881-c51141dff7a5_text.gif
I could really use foot massage, I've been feeling tired.

Incomudro

You know, this may be silly, but I almost wonder how perception could or would have been changed if Disney had first filmed some sort of Halcyon Mini Series or Special for Disney+ that was released a few months before the first guest voyages. Outside of the comics it seems like they were deeply invested in keeping this all secret, but imagine how much interest there'd be if guests had seen some sort of compelling episode that took place aboard the ship and then found out they could take a cruise on it themselves. They have the sets fully built, it might have been as simple as creating a storyline around an earlier notable voyage in the history of the ship and filming at least some of it there. Maybe show us how Captain Keevan ascended to her role from a lower rank. Heck, you could even just set an episode of the Mandalorian on the ship and I bet the Halcyon's Q-Rating would fly through the roof overnight.

I'm still a little surprised that Disney hasn't yet really tried to take advantage of Galaxy's Edge's fully realized environments as setpieces for other media. I know there were restrictions in place, but Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge sat collecting dust for more than a year. Imagine if somewhere in that window they had filmed an episode of something in the park that treated the land like the real planet we're meant to see it as. They'll never get the land that empty again for serious filming, at least not during guest hours (*knocks on wood*).
I'm surprised that they haven't decided to make a Mando episode that takes place on Batuu.
Perhaps it's part of the plan, I don't know.
But depicting him and Black Spire as a plot line in an episode or more would lend the land a much larger level of validity.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
the storylines from the halycon continue in batuu with your datapad. Basically treasure hunt/sorcerors of the magic kingdom kinda missions. The app seems to keep feeding you plot/mission stuff so that can keep you pretty busy if you buy into that entertainment.

No guides/CMs.. but your nice pin makes it visible to CMs that you are a halycon guest so they may interact with you differently based on that.
Going on SR:MF and RotR completes some missions given (on datapads) from the GMs, e.g., getting some coaxium (which you can't fail since no matter how bad your MF is, you always get at least one).

Completing missions gets invites to special meets with some GMs, depending on your story arc. As shown in the video above, you can meet Rey and holo-Yoda and learn about the Omicron which is the maguffin in the finale. Or, you can meet up with Croy and other First Order sympathizers and have a holo-conversation with some muckety-muck (Kylo? a Mof?).

One of the non-ride missions is to hack some droids or the First Order echelon to free the ship's astromech or to foil the First Order's hyperdrive tracker.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I'm still a little surprised that Disney hasn't yet really tried to take advantage of Galaxy's Edge's fully realized environments as setpieces for other media. I know there were restrictions in place, but Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge sat collecting dust for more than a year. Imagine if somewhere in that window they had filmed an episode of something in the park that treated the land like the real planet we're meant to see it as. They'll never get the land that empty again for serious filming, at least not during guest hours (*knocks on wood*).

I thought we would have seen more of this by now, too.

Also, if they start filming in SW:GE East, maybe they won‘t be so tempted to change the name from Disney‘s Hollywood Studios to Cinemagine Park!

I was pretty shocked by this as well. With a little set dressing, they could've at a minimum filmed some 2-3 minute webisodes of scenes from the Thrawn books with Hayden Christensen and whoever might have been planned for Thrawn at that point and then a few more with Vi and Archex from the Black Spire (and Phasma) books. Definitely would've helped get a lot of people more interested in the land.

I know when we were there once and Vi was out and about (hiding from stormtroopers mainly), it was obvious that the actress really appreciated that knew her name and understood her character a bit. And it's obvious that there are elements of the land that are SO connected to those books and would make it come much more alive. But since most people don't read the books (or comics, where quite a bit of Batuu has been developed as well), I think they missed an EASY advertising option.

zombiebbq

Disney adults being the possible exception to that rule, we already pretend we’re meeting the real characters when we do a meet and greet or watch a parade, we gasp and applaud when Tinkerbell flys during the fireworks, we wear the clothes, lose ourselves on the rides, chase after rare characters... many of us already go to the parks to act like kids.

We are the perfect demographic for this.
I wholeheartedly agree. I am still seeing not one shred of evidence this is worth the price tag Disney put on it. Every clip, every image I see screams "cheap cheap cheap" for the cost. It's Disney and at that price, I expected so much more.

UNCgolf

Going on SR:MF and RotR completes some missions given (on datapads) from the GMs, e.g., getting some coaxium (which you can't fail since no matter how bad your MF is, you always get at least one).

Completing missions gets invites to special meets with some GMs, depending on your story arc. As shown in the video above, you can meet Rey and holo-Yoda and learn about the Omicron which is the maguffin in the finale. Or, you can meet up with Croy and other First Order sympathizers and have a holo-conversation with some muckety-muck (Kylo? a Mof?).

One of the non-ride missions is to hack some droids or the First Order echelon to free the ship's astromech or to foil the First Order's hyperdrive tracker.

Do you mean holocron? Or is COVID a major part of the story??

corran horn

I'm surprised that they haven't decided to make a Mando episode that takes place on Batuu.
Perhaps it's part of the plan, I don't know.
But depicting him and Black Spire as a plot line in an episode or more would lend the land a much larger level of validity.
In the 90s there already would've been a Star Wars TV special in-universe using the land to tell some sort of story, interspliced with space footage from the films.

Skywise

In the 90s there already would've been a Star Wars TV special in-universe using the land to tell some sort of story, interspliced with space footage from the films.
I can SORT OF understand why the Halcyon hasn't shown up in the Mando or the movies - but Batuu?! Not even a discussion of such? Mandalorian or the Book of Boba Fett should've been based on Batuu.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It's one thing to see videos from people who are vloggers, media, etc. who are fully willing to "invest" in the storyline. I'm concerned about when certain guests aren't enjoying their time and might have less than satisfactory encounters with the actors/crew, or if some people are going to do stupid stuff to post on social media.

GimpYancIent

It's one thing to see videos from people who are vloggers, media, etc. who are fully willing to "invest" in the storyline. I'm concerned about when certain guests aren't enjoying their time and might have less than satisfactory encounters with the actors/crew, or if some people are going to do stupid stuff to post on social media.
Full transparency, show the good, the interesting, the bad, the disgusting, the ugly. Show it all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom