News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

erasure fan1

This looks BRUTAL. Will there be any repeat customers? I doubt it.
Maybe. It most likely won't be repeats from star wars fans. Unless it gets a major re-tooling. But we aren't really the target anyway. I guess if you aren't really that invested in star wars, have kids age 5 to 10ish and you like that sort of activity. You could find worth there if price isn't the barrier. Of course that's a big maybe. Lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe. It most likely won't be repeats from star wars fans. Unless it gets a major re-tooling. But we aren't really the target anyway. I guess if you aren't really that invested in star wars, have kids age 5 to 10ish and you like that sort of activity. You could find worth there if price isn't the barrier. Of course that's a big maybe. Lol
Thats a good point.

I’m still a tad surprised they followed through and built this? The economic condition was right but the franchise and licensing were in a bad spot during preconstruction.

What I think maybe the marketing angle for Disney is trying to create the fanbase they assumed they’d get in 2015? They got the hook out but it went south from there.

So definitely not for Star Wars fans in the traditional sense.
Makes more sense the closer it gets.

Skywise

I do wonder what the cost to build/operate was and is. At the prices they are charging, I imagine it won't take very long for this to be in the black. But then again, Disney construction costs are always astronomical.
I'm 99% sure they've baked in the ROI on this within one year so long as they can keep a full boat. Anything after that is pure cream (minus operating costs)

Skywise

Thats a good point.

I’m still a tad surprised they followed through and built this? The economic condition was right but the franchise and licensing were in a bad spot during preconstruction.

What I think maybe the marketing angle for Disney is trying to create the fanbase they assumed they’d get in 2015? They got the hook out but it went south from there.

So definitely not for Star Wars fans in the traditional sense.
Makes more sense the closer it gets.
Yeah - I'm not sure why there was such a push for this given COVID and the other economic conditions (or maybe there's some tax break/credit in there they could take advantage of with all the money flying about from congress)

The fact of the matter is that while they very well may make millions off of this they're leaving BILLIONS on the table if they had just catered to the original movies and characters (and this is true of Galaxy's Edge too)

celluloid

I'm 99% sure they've baked in the ROI on this within one year so long as they can keep a full boat. Anything after that is pure cream (minus operating costs)

Particularly if their full boat is (likely) considered 1.5 guests per room on average.

You are going to get a lot less family of fours doing this often.

_caleb

“No true Star Wars fan…”

kingdead

That's the thing--looking at the Star Wars-iest place on earth (ok, Reddit) the reception is meh. The typical fan there is more interested in the video games and the streaming shows.* No loss for Disney, but it just doesn't fit into these people's interests even if they have the money. Disney can still turn a profit on this thing but it's never going to be an emotionally attractive prospect for the dedicated fandom that even something like Savi's is.

* Interestingly, the posters who mentioned the sequels associated the "high class hotel" with the hotel from Last Jedi--its existence clashes with what they got out of the movies.

_caleb

The fact of the matter is that while they very well may make millions off of this they're leaving BILLIONS on the table if they had just catered to the original movies and characters (and this is true of Galaxy's Edge too)
I know a lot of Star Wars fans have speculated this, but I still don’t think it’s true. Younger fans on YouTube, etc. ridicule current Star Wars for being too tied to the OT (see some of the negative reaction to CGI Luke and other fan service in the Book of Boba Fett).

_caleb

That's the thing--looking at the Star Wars-iest place on earth (ok, Reddit) the reception is meh. The typical fan there is more interested in the video games and the streaming shows.* No loss for Disney, but it just doesn't fit into these people's interests even if they have the money. Disney can still turn a profit on this thing but it's never going to be an emotionally attractive prospect for the dedicated fandom that even something like Savi's is.

* Interestingly, the posters who mentioned the sequels associated the "high class hotel" with the hotel from Last Jedi--its existence clashes with what they got out of the movies.
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Reddit.

_caleb

I mostly agree…

However don’t lump Star Wars with the fast and the furious…or even MCU…

You kinda have to sacrifice at the altar of fans to keep the ridiculous riches of this money train going.

Be careful there…we have evidence.
The Mandalorian proves the concept, though. It’s a nerdy deep-dive show that found mass appeal—partially because it resonated with superfans who then recommmended the show and generated a TON of content around them (explainer videos, memes, fan fiction, etc).

You’re right that it’s a tricky tightrope to walk, though. The Book of Boba Fett was full of fan service, but may have been lost in the space between Star Wars super nerds and the general population who really just liked Baby Yoda.

I’m wondering if this might be the case with the Starcruiser—for the Boomer/GenX fans, it’s not “Starwarsy” enough, and for the casual “fans,” it’s too nerdy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Mandalorian proves the concept, though. It’s a nerdy deep-dive show that found mass appeal—partially because it resonated with superfans who then recommmended the show and generated a TON of content around them (explainer videos, memes, fan fiction, etc).

You’re right that it’s a tricky tightrope to walk, though. The Book of Boba Fett was full of fan service, but may have been lost in the space between Star Wars super nerds and the general population who really just liked Baby Yoda.

I’m wondering if this might be the case with the Starcruiser—for the Boomer/GenX fans, it’s not “Starwarsy” enough, and for the casual “fans,” it’s too nerdy.
Star trek is a nerdy deep dive show…

Star Wars was known to the majority of the first and second world prior to computer connectivity…

May have had 1-2 billion eyes on it when there was less than 5 billion sets of them on the planet.

It started really (assist fo jaws) the modern blockbuster and franchise…what was prior? James Bond.

It also was in a new time of globalization and technology…so history is a big part of the legacy.

When some says “Star Wars is like____”
…they should leave it blank.

The only thing in the ballpark beyond 100 year old brands (hint)…are the wizards up the street. Something that pushes product and fandom without new material.

The kids seem to think Star Wars is “always around”. Wrong. It went away for a long time…and you couldn’t even watch it on YouTube.

Then it unleashed an onslaught of cash ever since…and the people owning it screwed up…about 75%.

Not the same as “the rest”

Ok…back to the hotel cruiser…we could do a whole college class on Star Wars in culture. Indeed many schools have

kingdead

You can understand the Mandalorian storyline without having seen any Star Wars--it's a sci fi samurai protecting a kid. Of course, it doesn't hurt to know the storyline, but they're not running into the sequel issue where the whole emotional impact depends on you remembering and deeply caring about throwaway stuff from the first movies.

_caleb

You can understand the Mandalorian storyline without having seen any Star Wars--it's a sci fi samurai protecting a kid. Of course, it doesn't hurt to know the storyline, but they're not running into the sequel issue where the whole emotional impact depends on you remembering and deeply caring about throwaway stuff from the first movies.
It’s true that the story was accessible. But I don’t think this alone accounts for its popularity. Had Disney—well, Favreau/Filoni/Kennedy(😉) not appealed to the geeks, they would have been not much more than Disney+ filler.

Again, this is what the success of the Starcruiser is going to depend on. If the type of fan who loves this sort of thing gets really excited about it (excited enough to pay the steep prices AND crank out hours of pro-Starcruiser content online), I think it’ll “catch on” and we’ll see other versions of the immersive experience concept.

DCBaker

Premium Member
March thru June is now fully booked.

Whereas there were 8 fully booked days in July thru September just yesterday, there are now 30.

View attachment 624563

View attachment 624564

View attachment 624565

If I were Disney, I'd put back the 'cringey' video back online, with a smile.

Not sure if the calendar is buggy, accurate or ? Here's what it shows now -

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 12.50.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 12.50.47 PM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Not sure if the calendar is buggy, accurate or ? Here's what it shows now -

View attachment 624641View attachment 624640
It's been know to be buggy with sudden big changes.

So... is the mostly sold-out one correct, or this one? Or neither?

Having only 6 not-fully-booked cruises in March - June seems about right. Not having anything sold out in August doesn't. Plus, we've heard that booking is opening up past September for Golden Oaks folks.

So... 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom