News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Limited time story arcs? Instant sellout
Tweaks every 2-3 years... people will rebook

Halloween in space? I'm sure they will cave and do such stupid things :)
Disney parks are not “high end”…they are very much fabulous for the market they are designed for.

$20,000 weeks aren’t on deck…and the CMs won’t be living in luxury…ever

We got some fundamentals swamp myths creeping in here

_caleb

If their goal is to pivot to the more “streaming service” stuff (aka…it’s anchored in the OT and anyone with a functioning brain stem knows it)…

…then I would give management a lot of credit there. Where they fail with parks it just keeping things too long and grinding them into the dust because they view them as profit generators…

Like mine train is now “old”…not classic. Not everything can be treated like haunted mansion.

They can’t do this crappy sequel stuff for long. And they’ll try. Then blame the customers
I think Disney+ is a good indicator to help us understand what Disney is doing (or, at least trying to do) with the Starcruiser.

A key aspect of Disney‘s streaming strategy is to recognize that their audience is actually audiences. With “universal“ content (stuff aimed at everyone), they were indeed reaching everyone, but could only go so deep with them. People were casual fans of some of Disney’s products.

But now, they’re shifting to lean into fandoms. They’re—on purpose—creating stuff that they know big portions of their audience won’t like. But they’re creating things they know certain segments of their audience will LOVE by going deeper, getting geekier, and understanding their audiences.

Cesar R M

Not avoiding videos in case I go, just avoiding videos. I find cell phone videos with crappy phone microphones and compressed video to post to youtube to be painful. And almost always a disappointment compared to a live experience. If I was ever to actually get to experience this, I have the utmost faith in the cast and crew (if not the utmost faith in my credit rating).
You mean just avoiding in general? because some of the "reviewers" had very high end cameras with stabilizers and pro microphones.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

They couldn’t even make Chewbacca look accurate 🤷🏻‍♂️

Give Chewie a break! He had just lost his best friend by a cowardly Disney executive decision to kill Ford's character.
He had no desire to get to a Wookie Saloon.

monstersuniversity_the.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think Disney+ is a good indicator to help us understand what Disney is doing (or, at least trying to do) with the Starcruiser.

A key aspect of Disney‘s streaming strategy is to recognize that their audience is actually audiences. With “universal“ content (stuff aimed at everyone), they were indeed reaching everyone, but could only go so deep with them. People were casual fans of some of Disney’s products.

But now, they’re shifting to lean into fandoms. They’re—on purpose—creating stuff that they know big portions of their audience won’t like. But they’re creating things they know certain segments of their audience will LOVE by going deeper, getting geekier, and understanding their audiences.
I mostly agree…

However don’t lump Star Wars with the fast and the furious…or even MCU…

You kinda have to sacrifice at the altar of fans to keep the ridiculous riches of this money train going.

Be careful there…we have evidence.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everyone “star cruiser is going to fail!!!”

Star cruiser *doesnt fail*
Star cruiser *fully booked till the end of summer*
Star cruiser *getting great reviews*

Everyone “yah but ... but... it’ll never last!!”
Easy, killer…if you’re trying to use wdw customer spending as “proof” of good management or ideas in the swamp…you’re gonna need a box of tissues

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It's star lord man! oh wait, wrong franchise.
Disney doesn't have a great past record of changing things. Once the initial development budget is used up to create story, scripts, looks etc. it tends to be rather set in stone. Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Indy, Star Tours 1, Toy Story Mania - and the list goes on.
And only changes are downhill...
Aka cost cuts, scene removals, reducing CMs and actors...

ctrlaltdel

I do wonder what the cost to build/operate was and is. At the prices they are charging, I imagine it won't take very long for this to be in the black. But then again, Disney construction costs are always astronomical.

Disney4Lyfe

I’ve seen others assert that there’s ”a very limited market“ for the Starcruiser. Is this just based on the fact that you don’t like it and you assume most Disney fans share your tastes and preferences?
Of course not! It's based on the idea that there are a limited amount of folks with that kind of disposable income that want to larp for 2 days. That's all.

UNCgolf

I’ve seen others assert that there’s ”a very limited market“ for the Starcruiser. Is this just based on the fact that you don’t like it and you assume most Disney fans share your tastes and preferences?

It's mainly because of price. They also need to be Star Wars and/or Disney fans (and interested in this kind of experience in general), but by far the most limiting factor is price. I don't think the market for the experience itself is small in a vacuum, but there aren't that many families that can afford to spend 6k on a 2 night experience.

That's the reason I expect to see price cuts or at least regular discounts within a couple of years.

Cesar R M

Of course not! It's based on the idea that there are a limited amount of folks with that kind of disposable income that want to larp for 2 days. That's all.
Regardless of what it costs. Disney always does accounting magic to make it look always cute and pretty for shareholders.
I doubt this thing would have cost anything remotely close to a full resort expansion or a new expansion land.

mightynine

Almost sounds like the beginnings of cable television, as channels cropped by by serving niches, then expanded out from there where you have a channel that started as Music Television now be a MTV that has little to none on it.

They'll go after the deep dives for fandoms now because they'll be the most willing to open their wallets for it, but they'll need more to have the growth they need, which is why they'll desperately need stuff that doesn't fit into the current silos of Disney+ to expand beyond those niches, so things like Hamilton, Billie Eilish (seems like everyone has something from her to promote, doesn't it?), and Free Guy are being put front and center.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It's mainly because of price. They also need to be Star Wars and/or Disney fans (and interested in this kind of experience in general), but by far the most limiting factor is price. I don't think the market for the experience itself is small in a vacuum, but there aren't that many families that can afford to spend 6k on a 2 night experience.

That's the reason I expect to see price cuts or at least regular discounts within a couple of years.
A lot of the hardcore fans on forums such as these believe that what ultimately are nice, well funded amusement parks - Disney parks - has transitioned to “whales”.

I assume it’s due to lack of exposure to luxury travel…where things like buses to the airport and a 7-11 snack bar with computer restricted soda machines don’t play.

It also helps ease your mind when you’ve bought 4 DVC contracts 🤫

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom