News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I saw a tweet that I will paraphrase that really sums this up. "If you like generic sci-fi, escape rooms, and experiential community theater, this experience is for you."

I give credit to Disney for taking the hard path of designing an immersive experience, but as much of a Star Wars fan I am, I will hard pass this experience.
I think it was an interesting idea…but was just approved as part 2 of a 3 pronged “tribute” That iger threw to himself when he got nostalgic/legacy focused late in his tenure.
Star Wars isn’t that…the results have spoke for themselves. It’s a delicate little sucker.
This looks BRUTAL. Will there be any repeat customers? I doubt it.
I don’t think even Disney’s clueless management thinks repeats will happen…the question for me always was how to you replenish the pool of those willing to do this just to check it off? That involves more reinvestment and frankly much better IP material rolling out.

Indy_UK

Fair play to the bookings filling up. The price obviously isn't as much of a barrier to the people Disney are trying to appeal to

lewisc

This looks BRUTAL. Will there be any repeat customers? I doubt it.

I don’t think even Disney’s clueless management thinks repeats will happen…the question for me always was how to you replenish the pool of those willing to do this just to check it off? That involves more reinvestment and frankly much better IP material rolling out.
Wait a year or two. Roll out version 2.0. Takes place in the timeline of Mandalorian TV. They could include Baby Yoda, Hans, Lei etc. You'd have to reposition Batuu, at least during Shore Excursions. You wouldn't have to make a lot of physical changes. Train a new group of actors while the current voyage is running. Roll over to the new voyage during a brief rehab to update furnishings.

I think this idea would be almost as popular as the current (original) version.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wait a year or two. Roll out version 2.0. Takes place in the timeline of Mandalorian TV. They could include Baby Yoda, Hans, Lei etc. You'd have to reposition Batuu, at least during Shore Excursions. You wouldn't have to make a lot of physical changes. Train a new group of actors while the current voyage is running. Roll over to the new voyage during a brief rehab to update furnishings.

Disney doesn't have a great past record of changing things. Once the initial development budget is used up to create story, scripts, looks etc. it tends to be rather set in stone. Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Indy, Star Tours 1, Toy Story Mania - and the list goes on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If their goal is to pivot to the more “streaming service” stuff (aka…it’s anchored in the OT and anyone with a functioning brain stem knows it)…

…then I would give management a lot of credit there. Where they fail with parks it just keeping things too long and grinding them into the dust because they view them as profit generators…

Like mine train is now “old”…not classic. Not everything can be treated like haunted mansion.

They can’t do this crappy sequel stuff for long. And they’ll try. Then blame the customers

lewisc

Disney doesn't have a great past record of changing things. Once the initial development budget is used up to create story, scripts, looks etc. it tends to be rather set in stone. Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic, Indy, Star Tours 1, Toy Story Mania - and the list goes on.
New movie for Soarin. New drop sequences for ToT. Captain EO to Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

I agree. Its not common. This is a pricey experience that night need changes to attract repeat customers

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
New movie for Soarin. New drop sequences for ToT. Captain EO to Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

I agree. Its not common. This is a pricey experience that night need changes to attract repeat customers
None of those things were “quick” and there are so many things left to rot/never touched

Do we need to go over the most obvious example in the history of obvious?

1646060769787.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you think so? How much change is realistic? If they swapped out "x" for "y" you think that might make someone pony up another 6k? Oh the Shrimp is Purple now, we better book another trip!!!

Limited time story arcs? Instant sellout
Tweaks every 2-3 years... people will rebook

Halloween in space? I'm sure they will cave and do such stupid things :)

_caleb

Limited time story arcs? Instant sellout
Tweaks every 2-3 years... people will rebook

Halloween in space? I'm sure they will cave and do such stupid things :)
This is what I was about to say. Of all ”attractions” at WDW, this one will be the easiest to change. I know they have a terrible track record with this sort of thing, but the Starcruiser could be the most flexible thing on property because so much depends on the actors.

_caleb

Lots of people here visit WDW all the time—even if no new attractions have opened. They stay at the same overpriced resort and order their same favorite meals at the same restaurants on property. They get upset if their favorite thing that they do every time they visit isn’t working exactly as they expect it to.

But this interactive Star Wars thing is definitely “one and done.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom