News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MrPromey

How dare you suggest an implicit quid pro quo! That’s not how this works! Disney is above this and would never offer freebies to favored vloggers, nor would they blacklist others at the slightest hint of criticism or controversy.
You say that like it's even a secret open or otherwise. 😏

TikibirdLand

I assume this group is either press people, Disney influencers, or cast member families that for whatever reason don't do that or at least didn't in this case.

Personally I'm going to maybe wear some slightly more Star Wars-y clothes and my whole family likely will too - but I'm not going to throw myself into the role tbh.
At least this thread will be more entertaining than simply hearing how "lame" the experience is. I love the arguments about what is -- and isn't -- LARPing and whether D is doing it. Feels more like an extended Dinner Theater to me. But, I see all of the perspectives and am enjoying following it. I got to see Man of LaMancha as Dinner Theater as a kid and I was absolutely enthralled. And, they had nowhere near the budget this thing has.

Oh, and don't worry about the girls in the hallway; the stormtroopers can't hit the side of a barn!

UNCgolf

I'll survive. As you said, you're watching a short snippet of something. We have no idea if it's representative. She's walking around singing during one song. There's lights going. There's a Rodian in the background that presumably does something. Why bother throwing rocks?

This right here is the problem.

It's not throwing rocks to say something doesn't look very impressive, unless any criticism at all is verboten. Your response was hyperbolic in a way my comment was not.

corran horn

This right here is the problem.

It's not throwing rocks to say something doesn't look very impressive, unless any criticism at all is verboten. Your response was hyperbolic in a way my comment was not.
Within the body of your comment you admit it's so short it's not really representative. So why bother even criticizing? I mean do what you want. That's what the board's for.

They're not going to move walls and greebly-up things at this point, so if you think static things like the decor are unimpressive, that's one thing. But the performance is a) super subjective and b) limited to this 30-second bit. Seems a little odd to judge it at all.

doctornick

The window in the guest room does seem smaller than I'd imagined. The materials they used do not seem very Starwarsy. But I still think it could be fun.

I'm not sure why, but I really hoped all the Star Wars bathrooms/refreshers (on the Starcruiser and in SW:GE) would be custom-designed rather than the usual white porcelain toilets and chrome faucets. Like, for some reason, that's an indicator to me about how committed they were to the whole immersion idea.
This is probably my main thought. Forgetting about the whatever the specific details of this experience is, I’m shocked that there isn’t more fancier details making things seem more in universe. I know Disney doesn’t really “plus” anymore but I really thought this experience would be where they would go all out and have everything themed to the t’s since it was small/exclusive. It feels like they went “good enough” a lot which honestly does surprise.

Doesn’t mean the experience will be subpar but I thought we’d see some really unique stuff.

MurphyJoe

This is probably my main thought. Forgetting about the whatever the specific details of this experience is, I’m shocked that there isn’t more fancier details making things seem more in universe. I know Disney doesn’t really “plus” anymore but I really thought this experience would be where they would go all out and have everything themed to the t’s since it was small/exclusive. It feels like they went “good enough” a lot which honestly does surprise.

Doesn’t mean the experience will be subpar but I thought we’d see some really unique stuff.

Same. Same. This would've also been an excellent opportunity for them to get more excitement going for Disney's Star Wars and their parks in general. Even if people couldn't afford it or lack interest in the product, there should've been a certain level of "That's completely awesome. Whoa, Disney. Whoa." Instead, it's kinda meh, especially at the price point they're charging.

MrPromey

The mommy bloggers thing was an hilarious concept as well.
As many of these "bloggers" didn't even had 1k of followers. Yet somehow... Disney invested heavily on them.
Yes and no. I imagine things have changed somewhat with that but back in the day, what these people would get from Disney was directly proportional to how big of an influencer Disney believed them to be.

Many were not actually getting anything for free or any kind of "extra" access but a grand or two knocked off the price of a vacation package for someone who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford a trip to Disney or that can get them upgraded to a higher tier resort/room or extra days on their stay can do wonders for people's feelings about a vacation at Walt Disney World while Disney, with their inflated room rates, was still likely making some sort of profit off their stays.

I've met more than one of these mommy bloggers (at a convention, actually) that as full-time homemakers, got into this simply for the "perks" from companies like Disney and other brands way more so than for any money they expected to make from their blogs, btw.

UNCgolf

The more I see of this (and hear, from the people who have been on test cruises), the more I'm convinced the execution of this is entirely about Disney hedging their bets.

I don't know if it's due to the failure of Rise of Skywalker and relative failure of Galaxy's Edge (Galaxy's Edge is not a failure, but I don't think it's been the smash hit Disney was expecting, hence the use of the word relative), or it could simply be a general risk averse strategy, but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a more elaborate version of this somewhere along the way that was eventually whittled down into what they actually built.

I think Disney didn't want to go too elaborate/expensive just in case it flopped, so they went with a safe middle ground rather than going all out.

yensidtlaw1969

Within the body of your comment you admit it's so short it's not really representative. So why bother even criticizing? I mean do what you want. That's what the board's for.
. . .

How have we devolved to the level of "discourse about discourse" when we're finally, actually getting our first tastes of the thing we've been discussing for almost 700 pages??

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
. . .

How have we devolved to the level of "discourse about discourse" when we're finally, actually getting our first tastes of the thing we've been discussing for almost 700 pages??
Pervasive loquacious speculation? Well the media cruise is underway for what's bound to be a positive report (non revenue so no skin in the game), but I'm waiting for the March 1 reviews where people have paid money to make thier judgements.

UNCgolf

Ironically, choosing that safe middle ground may be what kills it long term.

It might kill the "cruise" concept -- although I think it's more likely they'll eventually lower the price significantly and continue to sell rooms -- but it also means they could turn it into a restaurant and events/play space that people could do as an upcharge from Galaxy's Edge.

Tha Realest

It might kill the "cruise" concept -- although I think it's more likely they'll eventually lower the price significantly and continue to sell rooms -- but it also means they could turn it into a restaurant and events/play space that people could do as an upcharge from Galaxy's Edge.
What do they do with all those empty rooms? Though, if the direction towards gambling is any indication maybe they’ll just rent them out by the hour.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’ll be converted into a regular hotel by this time next year.
It would be a horrible hotel - I would expect the sleeping quarters portion to be repurposed entirely or just demo'd.

Repurposing the other stuff as some sort of day adventure, etc makes sense... but trying to make the other stuff into a regular hotel just doesn't work. It lacks so much what's the point of trying to salvage a simple 3 story box built in a bad place with no amenities and horrible dimensions for your needs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom