News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
How do you not promote this with a Vader ad, a Skywalker ad, Yoda, heck capitalize off of the Mandalorian craze. R2, 3PO. You know. Actual Star Wars characters.

No. Just give us very bland characters that nobody has any emotional connection with - and set it in a Nickelodeon “Teens in Space” backdrop. And we’re good. That should “sell” us on 6k for 2 nights.

From what I’ve seen over the past few weeks I’m getting a Mystery Science 3000 vibe.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There's a bartender in the lounge who is male, but then every other employee of Chandrila Star Line, the ship itself, and Walt Disney Imagineering is female. And it's also apparently Ladies Nite in the ship's lounge because out of the nine other passengers shown there, seven are women (the two men get pushed into the background or have their faces hazed over while the camera shows the women, but two men passengers are technically there).
You forget the market to which they are pushing this product: nerdly Star Wars fans who haven't been out of their Mom's basement in several months... and to whom a prevalence of unaccompanied women in bars holds a certain appeal...

Buried20KLeague

How do you not promote this with a Vader ad, a Skywalker ad, Yoda, heck capitalize off of the Mandalorian craze. R2, 3PO. You know. Actual Star Wars characters.

No. Just give us very bland characters that nobody has any emotional connection with - and set it in a Nickelodeon “Teens in Space” backdrop. And we’re good. That should “sell” us on 6k for 2 nights.

From what I’ve seen over the past few weeks I’m getting a Mystery Science 3000 vibe.

hardly.

if it were MST3K, I’d already be booked!!

TP2000

Can we please just critique this hotel without the sexism please? The hotel looks terrible, and I don’t think that the gender of the creative team caused that.

Agreed, but I haven't seen any "sexism" here (at least in the last few days).

What I have seen is a valid criticism that they are purposely pretending that only women worked on this project, and then over-compensating further by bragging about how the ship's captain is a woman with more than a passing resemblance to Kathleen Kennedy.

In an earlier post I likened it to debuting a new Princess Boutique Makeover Salon in Fantasyland and then showing that 80% of the customers for Princess makeovers are men and boys, and 80% of the salon CM's working there will be men, and the whole thing was created by a team of bearded men in ballcaps because straight men can also create Princess Makeover Salons. And if you dare criticize that you are "sexist".

The way they are handling the pre-opening marketing of this hotel is just so forced and fake.

That's not "sexism", it's pandering cringe.

I think there's some valid criticism of having so many women being featured here; it feels almost forced, frankly. There are lots of great women in imagineering roles and a lot of them "get" Star Wars.

Exactly.

It not only comes off as fake to the audience, it panders to the talented women who do work on projects like this.

He basically came right out and said that a woman could never do a good job being in charge of Star Wars. Misogyny at it's finest.

I'm not fully up to speed on current Star Wars stuff, but from what I gather a lot of hardcore fans have a real problem with Kathleen Kennedy's artistic decisions regarding this franchise. I don't see that it's because of her gender, it's because of her work performance and product she has created.

The lowering box office numbers for the last few films seem to bear that out.

And then there's this Galactic Starcruiser concept. If we aren't allowed to criticize the people who created this underwhelming and cheesy looking hotel because they are women, then women have not actually achieved parity in the workplace to be held accountable for their work product and job performance.

Touchdown

And then there's this Galactic Starcruiser concept. If we aren't allowed to criticize the people who created this underwhelming and cheesy looking hotel because they are women, then women have not actually achieved parity in the workplace to be held accountable for their work product and job performance.
Critique away just please dont blame their failure on their gender. That’s all I ask, multiple people on this thread have stated exactly that. Critique the product and the work not the gender identity of the person doing it.

TP2000

Critique away just please dont blame their failure on their gender. That’s all I ask, multiple people on this thread have stated exactly that. Critique the product and the work not the gender identity of the person doing it.

The problem with that type of censorship is that gender roles do play a part here in this franchise based on war and armed conflict and what was a traditionally masculine plot.

Again, Star Wars was not successful because it was Annie Hall In Space, or Valley Of The Dolls In Space.

Star Wars was successful because it was a Western In Space. If you pretend that only women now work on Star Wars projects (which they clearly do not, and if they do Disney has a huge discrimination problem on their hands), then you are discounting the core tenets of what made Star Wars popular in the first place.

I'd love to see the tables turned and WDI showcase a traditionally feminine project like a Princess Makeover Salon that used 80% men as the creators, 80% men as the staffed CM's, and 80% men as the customers for that new Princess salon.

Somehow, I imagine people would be able to criticize that and not be called "sexist" while they voice their opinion on how fake and weird it is that Disney thinks 80% of Princess Salon customers and CM's will be men.

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

From all the footage WDI has shown of the ship's interiors, especially the bridge that is supposed to be a key element to this expensive product... I got distinctly Star Trek 3: The Search For Spok vibes.

It was 1984 and they were still using CRT monitors and consoles with buttons, Paramount had a decent budget, and Mr. Shatner had a really good hairpiece and mens foundation garments to wear, but it was definitely not Star Wars.

It was Star Trek 3.

ddda00ff59588f4b4555c6f3479a4684.jpg

Casper Gutman

The problem with that type of censorship is that gender roles do play a part here in this franchise based on war and armed conflict and what was a traditionally masculine plot.

Again, Star Wars was not successful because it was Annie Hall In Space, or Valley Of The Dolls In Space.

Star Wars was successful because it was a Western In Space. If you pretend that only women now work on Star Wars projects (which they clearly do not, and if they do Disney has a huge discrimination problem on their hands), then you are discounting the core tenets of what made Star Wars popular in the first place.

I'd love to see the tables turned and WDI showcase a traditionally feminine project like a Princess Makeover Salon that used 80% men as the creators, 80% men as the staffed CM's, and 80% men as the customers for that new Princess salon.

Somehow, I imagine people would be able to criticize that and not be called "sexist" while they voice their opinion on how fake and weird it is that Disney thinks 80% of Princess Salon customers and CM's will be men.

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boutique.jpg
Look - your idea that only women are being shown working on the cruiser are wrong. That’s been pointed out, and you ignore it. Look at the concept art posted on this page. Three of the five humanoid rolls we know of are male. You seem to be triggered by the captain. In a franchise where the most prominent leaders are elegant noblewomen, that’s weird.

The idea that SW’s appeal is solely or even primarily male is also way off base and wildly stereotypical. A franchise of SWs vast scale thrives on a broad audience. Go to a convention and look at the crowd. (And by the way, the prequels, entirely the work of Lucas, were largely -gasp- romances).

Finally, the idea that the prominent involvement of women diminishes action-centered genre fare or turns away male audiences is wrong. The original Star Wars is largely the work of George Lucas’s WIFE. Two of the greatest sci-fi action franchises of all time, Terminator and Aliens, feature female action leads.

The Starcruiser looks awful but gender is absolutely not the reason.

TP2000

Look - your idea that only women are being shown working on the cruiser are wrong. That’s been pointed out, and you ignore it. Three of the five humanoid rolls we know of are male.

I've only seen three humanoid roles in the PR Disney released in the past month; the Captain, the bartender, and the pre-boarding message from the lady with the dots on her forehead. What are the other two, and what pre-opening videos were they in?

You seem to be triggered by the captain. In a franchise where the most prominent leaders are elegant noblewomen, that’s weird.

That's exactly my criticism; that Captain doesn't look noble. She looks like a smirky valet parking attendant. In space.

The idea that SW’s appeal is solely or even primarily male is also way off base and wildly stereotypical. A franchise of SWs vast scale thrives on a broad audience. Go to a convention and look at the crowd. (And by the way, the prequels, entirely the work of Lucas, were largely -gasp- romances).

Finally, the idea that the prominent involvement of women diminishes action-centered genre fare or turns away male audiences is wrong. The original Star Wars is largely the work of George Lucas’s WIFE. Two of the greatest sci-fi action franchises of all time, Terminator and Aliens, feature female action leads.

I saw Star Wars in 1977 at the Cinerama Theater in downtown Seattle. It was a very memorable evening because the movie was tremendous. I remember the three people I went with, I remember my friend's giant white 1976 Cadillac we drove downtown in, I remember us crashing for several hours in the Westin lobby cocktail lounge down the block waiting for our showtime, and I remember loving the movie. Other than that fond memory, the Star Wars franchise is not really a part of my life any longer.

But I have never heard that Mrs. Lucas fixed the script for her husband. That's a cute story. But the movie spoke for itself. It was fabulous.

The Starcruiser looks awful but gender is absolutely not the reason.

They should probably stop pretending it was created and designed almost exclusively by women then. They need to stop with the forced HR mandates and get some of the men who designed this project into the pre-opening PR so that these ladies don't have their careers ruined by what appears to be a tremendously awful product launch in a few months.

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-imagineer-roundtable-2000x1095.jpg

Casper Gutman

I've only seen three humanoid roles in the PR Disney released in the past month; the Captain, the bartender, and the pre-boarding message from the lady with the dots on her forehead. What are the other two, and what pre-opening videos were they in?

That's exactly my criticism; that Captain doesn't look noble. She looks like a smirky valet parking attendant. In space.

I saw Star Wars in 1977 at the Cinerama Theater in downtown Seattle. It was a very memorable evening because the movie was tremendous. I remember the three people I went with, I remember my friend's giant white 1976 Cadillac we drove downtown in, I remember us crashing for several hours in the Westin lobby cocktail lounge down the block waiting for our showtime, and I remember loving the movie. Other than that fond memory, the Star Wars franchise is not really a part of my life any longer.

But I have never heard that Mrs. Lucas fixed the script for her husband. I'm not sure I care, but it's kind of a cute story. The movie spoke for itself. It was fabulous.

They should probably stop pretending it was created and designed almost exclusively by women then. They need to stop with the forced HR mandates and get some of the men who designed this project into the pre-opening PR so that these ladies don't have their careers ruined by what appears to be a tremendously awful product launch in a few months.

View attachment 608552
At their Destination event, Disney outlined six characters you will meet on the ship. Two are droids, two are male, and two (including the captain) are female. If you search, you can find the official images and descriptions they released. And we know Chewie will be present.

Lucas' wife Marcia is widely credited with saving the first Star Wars in editing. Its a popular theory that the films he subsequently directed, including the prequels, were far less impressive because they lacked her input.

You seem to be basing your assessment largely on a roundtable discussion that very, very, very few people will see and an (admittedly awful) image of the captain. The overall PR campaign is very bad, but not because it features too many ladies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Al

At light saber training with his Grandfather? Maybe they don't have a son and only have this preteen daughter who loves Star Wars? The most prominent artwork featured on the same page and the only images really selling this experience, include father and sons and boys playing in numbers that appear to outnumber girls.
View attachment 608501
View attachment 608500

I noticed in these photos that it mostly seems aimed toward kids. I'm sure that makes Disney feel like they can lower the bar for interactive things :rolleyes:

TP2000

At their Destination event, Disney outlined six characters you will meet on the ship. Two are droids, two are male, and two (including the captain) are female. If you search, you can find the official images and descriptions they released. And we know Chewie will be present.

Okay. That's good to know. I was actually wondering why there were no droids seen in the videos they released this month.

They made such a big deal five years ago about "roaming droids" that were supposed to be in Star Wars Land. And then the place opened and... nothing. No droids. Except for plastic Chinese made toys you could buy in the shops.

You seem to be basing your assessment largely on a roundtable discussion that very, very, very few people will see and an (admittedly awful) image of the captain. The overall PR campaign is very bad, but not because it features too many ladies.

In my defense, it's a video that Disney put out on purpose for this exact audience here; theme park fans and those interested in new theme park experiences.

Will it have the reach of a Super Bowl commercial or perky puff piece on Good Morning America? No. But Disney released it on purpose for us here. And it didn't help.

That one lady at the table kept going on about luggage, and how your luggage delivery will be part of the show. As if luggage-based adventures are exactly what Star Wars fans have been yearning for since 1977. 🤣

Through the course of this conversation here, and watching some YouTube videos from fans that are brutally scathing in their criticism of this whole mess, I've now come to the conclusion that Damaro and Chapek and WDI execs must be peeing in their pants this Christmas trying to figure out what they can fix quickly in the next 60 days. At this point, they can't not know the multiple levels of failure this thing seems soaked in.

That part at least makes me chuckle. :cool:

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

people are not blaming them for being women… they are calling out their affirmative action posture to over rotate and try to push females for the sake of gender representation

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom