News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Incomudro

Those are two entirely different things. And yes the Skyliner does meet code and ADA guidelines. What you are suggesting would not. And it would be a violation of building/fire codes regardless of any additional ADA issues.
And it would be a trip hazard for everyone on foot.
Look at the average Disney guest... Do we expect them not to trip over such a thing?

Incomudro

Motion sensor that drops the lip anytime someone comes within 5 feet of the lip to drop it down flush with the floor (no longer a trip hazard).

Another excuse and hardline code quote in 3....2.....1......
:joyfull:

Another reminder of why we can't have anything nice. To sum it up, stupidity is why we can't have a "real" Starcruiser. Like 4 year olds, people can't be trusted to watch where they are walking. Once they trip and skin their knee they will sue the pants off of Disney for their own stupidity.
That'd be prohibitively expensive and complicated for what it offers.

corran horn

Sure, I'm not arguing that.

Just that the hallway they showed would be slightly improved if it was curved. Obviously an easier solution would be to just actually build out the full hallway instead of building something that looks like the hallway of an apartment building with some extra stuff glued to the walls and doorframes.
The cabins on decks 4, 5, and 7 are all straight shots. From the air what you see is what you get as the hallway goes down the spine of the 'ship'. I agree they could've been more creative. (it'd probably end up looking like the Enterprise-D corridors though)

1639439502949.png

Casper Gutman

Interesting that here:

View attachment 607121

He almost has to be here, right in front of the turbolifts looking back to the Engineering Room space and a corridor that branches back and to the right. The wall to his left on our right is the dining room. (on Deck 6 there would be no wall there, it's the atrium space)

View attachment 607122
They really didn’t want to give guests anything much to explore, huh? I would have thought a bunch of nooks and crannies would enhance the experience a lot and allow for richer storytelling.

Also… Star Wars doesn’t have holodecks, does it? If you were going to break canon by stealing from Trek, why not just let guests “teleport” down so you don’t have the awful, tiny prison yard?

Buried20KLeague

Not sure why it should have... As part of the story, this isn't the Halcyon. It's the cruiseship terminal. You take transport up to the actual ship. For all you know, you're looking at some warehouses or offices that support the terminal and ship.

I guess you're either into the story or not. If it was a few hundred bucks, I'm in. At a few thousand, I'm out. But, I'm also looking forward to hear from the real passengers (not the vloggers who got invited on this).

Kinda reminds me of the Michael Strahan's free "trip" to outer space (what was it? 10 minutes?). ABC ( Disney Company has been milking the trip for at least a month now, showing his "training" and preparations for the trip. Talk about over-saturation of Blue Origin. Looks like Disney is trying to copy that model for the star cruiser.

it’s a cruise terminal so they could go the cheap route and not make a visible ship. That’s the story so they could save money. Nothing more.

there could have been a concrete raised platform like ships land on in the movies. Something you could see on approach. Or from the parking lot, making people investigate what it is. The space under could have been used for anything from parking to storage to operational facilities so they didn’t have to be built into the space of the ship. Steam and smoke could have poured out. There could have been on board lighting at night. The terminal could have been small and off to the side, and you climb a glass gangway to board, seeing the exterior of the ship and it’s size, like you do with a real cruise ship.

instead there’s a small driveway surrounded by berms and trees to hide the prison.

if they went the cheap route on the exterior in order to go nuts inside, that would be one thing.

there hasn’t been evidence of that yet.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

They really didn’t want to give guests anything much to explore, huh? I would have thought a bunch of nooks and crannies would enhance the experience a lot and allow for richer storytelling.

Also… Star Wars doesn’t have holodecks, does it? If you were going to break canon by stealing from Trek, why not just let guests “teleport” down so you don’t have the awful, tiny prison yard?
They would still have to physically transport them to Batuu unless you get Elon to shoot them over in a tunnel?

TrojanUSC

I'm sorry, but if a dangling gondola over a lake is code* I don't see how they couldn't lobby for an exception to the code where, with the push of a button, a lip can move out of the way within a second. The same amount of time is involved in pushing the disability button to open a door at commercial buildings and stores.

*When the the skyliner has an emergency and there's a wheelchair user stuck up in the air it takes much more than a second and a push of a button to overcome that issue.

The Tower of Terror also has elevators that "drop" people 13 stories, which is generally not allowed in building codes... but its "hotel" corridors also have exit signs.

TikibirdLand

Sounds quite good

Watched the video yesterday (It was in my youtube feed). What did you see that, "Sounds quite good"? All I heard was that one would be greeted by a bunch of aliens and Chewbacca would be sneaking around. Those aliens would be asking you to help hide him. Oh, and there would be acrobatic ninja Empire troops. I'm having a bit of trouble picturing that. Don't let the Stormtroopers carry weapons while doing that!

mergatroid

Watched the video yesterday (It was in my youtube feed). What did you see that, "Sounds quite good"? All I heard was that one would be greeted by a bunch of aliens and Chewbacca would be sneaking around. Those aliens would be asking you to help hide him. Oh, and there would be acrobatic ninja Empire troops. I'm having a bit of trouble picturing that. Don't let the Stormtroopers carry weapons while doing that!
Well if you break it down like that you could say the film Rocky is "A man who's ok at boxing, mumbles a bit, does some training and then loses against the world champion" :rolleyes:

I'm not going to this hotel as I'm not into role playing (and don't want to spend $$$$$), however the ideas presented by that guy sound like a structured event that fans and role players could love. The guy himself says his friend working there hates the marketing but at no point does he say his friend thinks the product is terrible. He also implies they've spent a lot on the actors and stunt men etc and it's catered more to the story rather than just walking around thinking 'cool hotel'. Also when I went into the build a light saber thing in the park with a friend who purchased one, that was incredibly well done. Hopefully this will replicate this.

When it opens we'll find out how good, bad or ok it is. As usual though it's being hammered as terrible a bit like 'Avatarland' which was criticised on here for about 3 years before it opened. Just like it's cool to say everyone hates Harmonious even though people on here are saying they enjoy or love it and that live audiences respond extremely positively to it.

This isn't for me as I say, but as a bit of balance I think it deserves to be judged properly when it opens. I'm willing to wait to see what people who experience it have to say over how badly the marketing has shown it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom