News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd assume the "muster" call will include a small demonstration of how to evac through any emergency windows they may have.

Beyond the first floor those windows would only be useful for emergency services...

1639421692541.png

cindy_k

lazyboy97o

They could even follow a cruise ship aesthetic for exit signage.
There are requirements for signage. The letters have to be a certain size and style in red or green. The faceplate can be stylized but still has to provide contrast.
1) Ramps that pop up out of the floor with a push of the wheelchair ramp button.
2) The lip drops down flush with the floor with a push of the wheelchair ramp button.
3) (Other ideas. I thought of those in a couple of minutes. Maybe someone paid more than me and who has an engineering degree could do better.)

...What happened to imagineering your way out of a problem instead of pigeonholing yourself out of creative solutions? I recall someone...oh....who could say who it was.....anyway...they said, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

This is what has been lost. Ingenuity and design. Replaced by quickest/cheapest route to more cash grabs.
No amount of ingenuity can get you around something that is prohibited. That door with a raised sill is not just a violation of the accessibility codes but also the building and fire codes.

VaderTron

There are requirements for signage. The letters have to be a certain size and style in red or green. The faceplate can be stylized but still has to provide contrast.

No amount of ingenuity can get you around something that is prohibited. That door with a raised sill is not just a violation of the accessibility codes but also the building and fire codes.
I'm sorry, but if a dangling gondola over a lake is code* I don't see how they couldn't lobby for an exception to the code where, with the push of a button, a lip can move out of the way within a second. The same amount of time is involved in pushing the disability button to open a door at commercial buildings and stores.

*When the the skyliner has an emergency and there's a wheelchair user stuck up in the air it takes much more than a second and a push of a button to overcome that issue.

peter11435

I'm sorry, but if a dangling gondola over a lake is code* I don't see how they couldn't lobby for an exception to the code where, with the push of a button, a lip can move out of the way within a second. The same amount of time is involved in pushing the disability button to open a door at commercial buildings and stores.

*When the the skyliner has an emergency and there's a wheelchair user stuck up in the air it takes much more than a second and a push of a button to overcome that issue.
Those are two entirely different things. And yes the Skyliner does meet code and ADA guidelines. What you are suggesting would not. And it would be a violation of building/fire codes regardless of any additional ADA issues.

lazyboy97o

The Skyliner is not a building, so it follows different regulations. The sill is not allowed for fully able people who are walking.

VaderTron

The Skyliner is not a building, so it follows different regulations. The sill is not allowed for fully able people who are walking.
Motion sensor that drops the lip anytime someone comes within 5 feet of the lip to drop it down flush with the floor (no longer a trip hazard).

Another excuse and hardline code quote in 3....2.....1......
:joyfull:

Another reminder of why we can't have anything nice. To sum it up, stupidity is why we can't have a "real" Starcruiser. Like 4 year olds, people can't be trusted to watch where they are walking. Once they trip and skin their knee they will sue the pants off of Disney for their own stupidity.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Motion sensor that drops the lip anytime someone comes within 5 feet of the lip to drop it down flush with the floor (no longer a trip hazard).

Another reminder of why we can't have anything nice. To sum it up, stupidity is why we can't have a "real" Starcruiser. Like 4 year olds, people can't be trusted to watch where they are walking. Once they trip and skin their knee they will sue the pants off of Disney for their own stupidity.
You can see through thick smoke?

VaderTron

You can see through thick smoke?
If you are walking in thick smoke the lip will be doing you a favor by getting you down on the ground where you have a fighting chance to live. :p

But since the lip would drop down due to motion sensor....you're probably going to die. At least you'll get a Darwin Award.

peter11435

Motion sensor that drops the lip anytime someone comes within 5 feet of the lip to drop it down (no longer a trip hazard).

Another reminder of why we can't have anything nice. To sum it up, stupidity is why we can't have a "real" Starcruiser. Like 4 year olds, people can't be trusted to watch where they are walking. Once they trip and skin their knee and will sue the pants off of Disney for their own stupidity.

If you are walking in thick smoke the lip will be doing you a favor by getting you down on the ground where you have a fighting chance to live. :p

But since the lip would drop down due to motion sensor....you're probably going to die. At least you'll get a Darwin Award.
I think it’s clear you’ve never been responsible for life safety. Probably best to keep it that way.

mmascari

Another reminder of why we can't have anything nice. To sum it up, stupidity is why we can't have a "real" Starcruiser. Like 4 year olds, people can't be trusted to watch where they are walking. Once they trip and skin their knee and will sue the pants off of Disney for their own stupidity.
I think you've summed up why we have building codes. Not why the Starcruiser has to follow building codes.

Just like those silly warning stickers on consumer products, there's a reason for most of those codes from before they were code.

corran horn

If there's anything about fire exits it's that they should depend upon some rube goldberg mechanism in order to become accessible to everybody.

I'm just thankful nothing ever mechanically fails. Especially something that lowers a door lip every time someone comes within 5 feet of it. It probably only happens a couple hundred times a day.

jinx8402

If there's anything about fire exits it's that they should depend upon some rube goldberg mechanism in order to become accessible to everybody.

I'm just thankful nothing ever mechanically fails. Especially something that lowers a door lip every time someone comes within 5 feet of it. It probably only happens a couple hundred times a day.
right? It seems it would be down more often than up...so what would the point of having a point of failure?

Anyways, we don't even see that in Star Wars ships on screen, so why are we debating if this would look more Star Wars than not having the lip?

VaderTron

So true. We wouldn't want to have to rely on devices that detect smoke before sounding an alarm and turning on emergency lighting, or waiting for high heat to trigger the sprinkler system. We should just have those alarms sounding at all times, the sprinklers running all day every day and emergency lighting always on. That way we don't have any failures.

We should also remove all doors from buildings because we wouldn't want to take the chance that the automatic opener has an electrical fault.

There's enough red tape holding back ingenuity today. Why wrap every idea with miles more?:hilarious:

corran horn

So true. We wouldn't want to have to rely on devices that detect smoke before sounding an alarm and turning on emergency lighting, or waiting for high heat to trigger the sprinkler system. We should just have those alarms sounding at all times, the sprinklers running all day every day and emergency lighting always on. That way we don't have any failures.
Do you think a smoke alarm is anywhere near as mechanically complex as what you're talking about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom