News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TikibirdLand

Well if you break it down like that you could say the film Rocky is "A man who's ok at boxing, mumbles a bit, does some training and then loses against the world champion" :rolleyes:

I'm not going to this hotel as I'm not into role playing (and don't want to spend $$$$$), however the ideas presented by that guy sound like a structured event that fans and role players could love. The guy himself says his friend working there hates the marketing but at no point does he say his friend thinks the product is terrible. He also implies they've spent a lot on the actors and stunt men etc and it's catered more to the story rather than just walking around thinking 'cool hotel'. Also when I went into the build a light saber thing in the park with a friend who purchased one, that was incredibly well done. Hopefully this will replicate this.

When it opens we'll find out how good, bad or ok it is. As usual though it's being hammered as terrible a bit like 'Avatarland' which was criticised on here for about 3 years before it opened. Just like it's cool to say everyone hates Harmonious even though people on here are saying they enjoy or love it and that live audiences respond extremely positively to it.

This isn't for me as I say, but as a bit of balance I think it deserves to be judged properly when it opens. I'm willing to wait to see what people who experience it have to say over how badly the marketing has shown it.
Interesting perspective on his video. I'd say two of the impressive portions of RoTR is when you enter the "hangar" and when you enter the "walker" room. The hallways to the interrogation areas really set that up in a Frank Lloyd Wright way (smaller to large areas). Similarly, simple things like theming the ceilings in the hotel helps set the mood that allows role-playing to happen.

Many years ago, I got to walk on a film set for a commercial of a retail chain. It was totally belivable -- down to the peg board walls with merchandise. I really bought into it; I would have thought I was actually in the store -- until I looked up and there was no ceiling. It was a bit startling. But, they didn't need it for filming. So, that made sense. Here, if I looked up and saw sheetrock, it totally takes away the idea I'm on a star cruiser. Have you ever seen a cruise ship with a gypsum ceiling? I'm not sure it would even be possible...

What do the ceilings and wall coverings look like at Space 220? Wouldn't that be a good model to copy here?

Disstevefan1

I wonder how this experience will work while still trying to stay safe from COVID and variants?

The big plus about this experience is the interaction between the guests and performers, to the point of performers intentionally bumping into guests to initiate an interaction.

A lot of people, in a closed space, purposely interacting and not even a window to open.

Is masking enough?

We all see the hoops folks must jump through to be allowed to get on a real cruise ship.
Will vaccination be required to get on The Starcruiser?
Will vaccination plus a negative test within 48 hours be required to get on the Starcruiser?
If there is a COVID breakout on the Starcruiser must folks stay ”aboard”?

Incomudro

Well indeed and that's what I think too. If they can get the immersion similar to the light saber building then it could be really fun for those into that sort of thing.
I agree.
It sounds like fun. I'm reminded of that chaotic breakdown at he end of Bug's Life where everything goes nuts in the theater.
Disney is very good at that stuff, and they used to be great with the live actors too.
The focus isn't so much on the ship, it's on the personalities - though I do bet there are a couple of well done effects on the ship that haven't been leaked yet.

mergatroid

Interesting perspective on his video. I'd say two of the impressive portions of RoTR is when you enter the "hangar" and when you enter the "walker" room. The hallways to the interrogation areas really set that up in a Frank Lloyd Wright way (smaller to large areas). Similarly, simple things like theming the ceilings in the hotel helps set the mood that allows role-playing to happen.

Many years ago, I got to walk on a film set for a commercial of a retail chain. It was totally belivable -- down to the peg board walls with merchandise. I really bought into it; I would have thought I was actually in the store -- until I looked up and there was no ceiling. It was a bit startling. But, they didn't need it for filming. So, that made sense. Here, if I looked up and saw sheetrock, it totally takes away the idea I'm on a star cruiser. Have you ever seen a cruise ship with a gypsum ceiling? I'm not sure it would even be possible...

What do the ceilings and wall coverings look like at Space 220? Wouldn't that be a good model to copy here?
To be honest, I've not even thought about the ceiling. We'll see what people think when it opens and we know a bit more, I'm not into role playing so I'm not sure what they look for.

Incomudro

As has been mentioned before. All the things discussed in the video sound like things they wanted to do at GE and then decided that they could make it all an upcharge by moving it to the hotel. Pretty sad.
That's for sure.
It's exactly what Trowbridge said would be going on at GE.
The hotel's going to have more alien inhabitants than the outpost of Black Spire does, which is - odd.

pdude81

I get why people hate on the gravity building in Epcot since it's gigantic and visible...

But we're fake space cruiser design experts now? The outside of this pretend spaceship in the woods, not visible from parks, is somehow lacking?

There have to be more legitimate things to complain about than that... such as the ugly rocks on a stick in SWGE. At least those are quite visible from the parking lot.

Last edited:

Ginzuishou

From what I understand voyagers interact with the “datapad” on the Disney play app throughout the stay to get messages from crew etc They make it known you need to have that installed for the trip. Seems like a playful nod to the reality smartphones will be used by everyone on board the cruiser “in Star Wars”. Just a guess. Also what’s wrong with the background?
that's what I thought as well. They gave her a "cell phone" because people will be using their cell phones all the time. So, might as well make it an "in universe" device right from the start.

KBLovedDisney

What in the Alien Encounter Pre-Show is going on???!!!

galactic-starcruiser-welcome-video-7126401.jpg

jinx8402

Oh dang....
That "Nearly 50% of May 2022 Now Available" headline seems very misleading without knowing the details. It makes it sound like only 50% of the total rooms are booked. When it could just be a handful of rooms that opened up for each date and it is still over 90% booked for the month of May.

GimpYancIent

That "Nearly 50% of May 2022 Now Available" headline seems very misleading without knowing the details. It makes it sound like only 50% of the total rooms are booked. When it could just be a handful of rooms that opened up for each date and it is still over 90% booked for the month of May.
Meh. I am interested in seeing the booking statistics after the first voyage.

matt9112

room
1. Its NOT a hotel...
2. I see a lot of complainers/haters now saying "well, I'm not into role playing" yet they have strong opinions.

Guess what bruh....its a hotel....no matter how you spin it or tell us how its a cruise with a cruise like schedule. Its a building thats probably no bigger than a middle school that you pay 6k to stay in for less than 48 hours.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Indeed.

From the beginning of March to the end of June there are 61 'cruises.'

That's 6,100 room reservations.

If there are 11 not-fully-booked days, then that could be just 11 cancellations, and therefor, only 11 reservation-openings among the 6,100.

It could be more. But let say 200 people bailed on their reservation. How likely would it be they were all on just those those 11 cruise-days?

The number of open days from March through June has been anywhere from 5 to 12, depending on what day you check. It's obvious that some of them are from the 90-day pay-or-go-away deadline as it creeps through the calendar.

90 days from now is March 14. And March 1-14 are fully booked, and presumably, fully paid.

Of course there are two other options:
1. the website is buggy -- it indeed was very buggy when it opened with huge changes in openings v. fully booked by simply refreshing.​
2. conspiracy time: Disney is taking up large swaths of rooms with their insiders/watchers, or, they're lying about vacancies to make it look good.​

GimpYancIent

room

Guess what bruh....its a hotel....no matter how you spin it or tell us how its a cruise with a cruise like schedule. Its a building thats probably no bigger than a middle school that you pay 6k to stay in for less than 48 hours.
Wellllll the Galactic Cruise Experience is intended to be an immersive entertainment venue that happens to incorporate some lodging / dining because of its length not meant to be a "Hotel". However! by definition: "

hotel​

noun

ho·tel | \ hō-ˈtel , ˈhō-ˌtel \

Definition of hotel

: an establishment that provides lodging and usually meals, entertainment, and various personal services for the public: INN"

Soooo yes, the folks that want to call it a "Hotel" would also be correct. That said, the quality of the experience and the satisfaction of the high rolling clientele need to be the focus, not a particular noun.

UNCgolf

2. conspiracy time: Disney is taking up large swaths of rooms with their insiders/watchers, or, they're lying about vacancies to make it look good.​

I know you're not suggesting they're doing this, but actually lying about vacancies could be headed towards securities fraud. That doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom