Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

sedati

Lucas himself may have instigated the hiring of Benioff and Weiss, or at the very least gave his blessing before the deal was made.
Both Speilberg and Kathleen's husband Frank Marshall suggested Colin Trevorrow.

There is something about Star Wars that is different from anything else. Many very accomplished people are afraid to touch it. Ron Howard was asked to do the prequels and declined as did Speilberg. Brad Bird, Joss Whedon, David Fincher, JJ Abrams, all turned down Episode VII (Abram's wife got him to reconsider.) It is a daunting task. Couple that with an ambitious set of deadlines and a need to both honor and reinvent and you have a very complicated juggling act that may have gone better, but certainly could go worse.

UNCgolf

Lucas himself may have instigated the hiring of Benioff and Weiss, or at the very least gave his blessing before the deal was made.
Both Speilberg and Kathleen's husband Frank Marshall suggested Colin Trevorrow.

It's certainly possible, but Disney bought Lucasfilm several years before they made an offer to Benioff and Weiss.

Darkprime

Benioff and Weiss had ambitious plans to take the “Star Wars” universe in a new direction, one that would exist apart from the Skywalker family saga that comprised the franchise’s centerpiece nine-film series. The “Star Wars” period the pair was interested in exploring was how the Jedi came to exist. However, Lucasfilm executives and the creators begin to see their visions for the films diverge during meetings last summer. News that the pair had signed a massive $250 million production dealwith Netflix was a signal to many that they were eager to explore other opportunities. It also brought pressures. When the pact was announced, Netflix said it was aware of the duo’s commitments, but insiders say they were also wary of waiting as much as four years for them to wrap up work on “Star Wars.” The streaming service wanted Benioff and Weiss to focus on creating exclusive movies and shows for them, particularly when they looked out at a streaming landscape that is growing ever more competitive with the launch of Disney Plus and HBO Max.

Ellen Ripley

prberk

It would make no sense. Fox had nothing to do with the sequel trilogy.

Except that they set the whole thing up to begin with.

And the Fox part is the distribution (and was for everything before Disney except the original "Star Wars"), which as part of Disney now, can still be the case.

prberk

Disney was well aware what buying Fox would mean for Star Wars and people have been talking about it since at least 2017.
It makes a lot of sense actually.

both links from 2017

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/6/16614664/disney-fox-star-wars-music

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/11/07/star-wars-disney-fox-fanfare/
I agree, and another sad casualty of the Disney years up until now (potentially) has been the soundtrack albums, especially that of the original Star Wars (later called Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope). That soundtrack sold in all formats with the Fox Fanfare (extended version) as the first track, up until just few years ago, when Disney took over the soundtrack and reissued it without the Fox fanfare while causing the older releases to go out of print.

Thankfully I had the good sense to buy them in the past, so I have it in its proper sequence on iTunes to play when I want to (another reason to buy music rather than simply stream it... it can never go off the market for you).

So, not only for the films but also for the soundtracks I hope that Disney restores the Fox fanfare. The writer of the first link above is correct: Star Wars and the Fox fanfare are like the peanut butter and jelly of science fiction sound tracks.

And if you want to feel that connection for yourself, just watch it the way we did in 1977 (or 1978 when I finally got to see it) in the theatres. Newbies, this is the Star Wars you were looking for (no episode number):

Last edited:

Mike S

I agree, and another sad casualty of the Disney years up until now (potentially) has been the soundtrack albums, especially that of the original Star Wars (later called Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope). That soundtrack sold in all formats with the Fox Fanfare (extended version) as the first track, up until just few years ago, when Disney took over the soundtrack and reissued it without the Fox fanfare while causing the older releases to go out of print.

Thankfully I had the good sense to buy them in the past, so I have it in its proper sequence on iTunes to play when I want to (another reason to buy music rather than simply stream it... it can never go off the market for you).

So, not only for the films but also for the soundtracks I hope that Disney restores the Fox fanfare. The writer of the first link above is correct: Star Wars and the Fox fanfare are like the peanut butter and jelly of science fiction sound tracks.

And if you want to feel that connection for yourself, just watch it the way we did in 1977 (or 1978 when I finally got to see it) in the theatres. Newbies, this is the Star Wars you were looking for (no episode number):

Or do what I do and have people you know share their owned iTunes library with you.

Over 4,000 songs on my phone and like only 5 albums I bought myself ;)

fractal

Thanks for sharing! Greatest opening in movie history. From the grandiose fanfare into the brief pause displaying "a long time ago..." instantly resetting your mind to allow for suspense of disbelief with the few seconds of silence building anticipation; to the "BANG!" of John Williams' theme - almost like a launch and a feeling of "OK - here we go!".

I saw it first time in Summer of 1977 - this clip reminded me how the sound of the opening battle in addition to the visuals really struck me. The theater felt like it shook with each explosion - you felt like you were right there in the battle. The close up of the rebel soldiers waiting for whatever was coming through the door also placed you right there. I've never experienced a movie before or since that took you from current time Planet Earth reality to a Fantasy World so effectively, instantly and thrillingly.

Last edited:

prberk

Thanks for sharing! Greatest opening in movie history. From the grandiose fanfare into the brief pause displaying "a long time ago..." instantly resetting your mind to allow for suspense of disbelief with the few seconds of silence building anticipation; to the "BANG!" of John Williams' theme - almost like a launch and a feeling of "OK - here we go!".

I saw it first time in Summer of 1977 - this clip reminded me how the sound of the opening battle in addition to the visuals really struck me. The theater felt like it shook with each explosion - you felt like you were right there in the battle. The close up of the rebel soldiers waiting for whatever was coming through the door also placed you right there. I've never experienced a movie before or since that took you from current time Planet Earth reality to a Fantasy World so effectively, instantly and thrillingly.

I absolutely cannot agree more. Someone in the source page for the clip (linked earlier) called it a sort of "put your church clothes on... you're going the movies" experience, which struck me. That was true, and I think part of what George was going for in the "back to the matinee serials" feel he has spoken about. It was a time when going to the movies was not only a thrill but an EXPERIENCE. And I can get behind the idea that it was sort of a special, "dress up" experience. That opening definitely set your mind to something special AND an adventure all at once. It was definitely like saying, "OK, get ready. Here we go!"

Absolute brilliance.

Many people criticize George Lucas for missteps through the years. But I believe that this opening is one of the things that he got absolutely right... and the integration of the Fox fanfare is a huge part of it. And, just think, all of it l was created before there were ANY "franchise" blockbusters to compare it to.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I still wonder why they didn't just alter ep8 to have her pass in the movie and keep Luke alive. Everyone would have understood a semi unceremonious exit. Who knows, maybe it will work out alright.
A certain actor has wondered allowed the same thing...

She shouldn’t have been brought back at all. Make her death a source of angst for Kylo Vader...something...anything.

Her physical state had degraded to the point where she didn’t fit her character attributes.

There I said it...I won’t be invited into the PC club

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom