Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

erasure fan1

I love your opinion on Star Wars...

But...I have to disagree about abrams. I think doing a reboot was EXACLTY bowing to iger and Kennedy. Star Wars needed a “recentering”...not a reboot. It’s a pivotal mistake for the IP that can’t be undone.

As far as “his terms”...remember that abrams was a producer of 8...it wasn’t Like he didn’t know what was being shot.
What am I saying? He’s in it for the money...I don’t doubt he had concerns...but he went along with that low talent clown Johnson and figured it would be ok enough. I’m sure his Ego about his “party event” sequel clouded his judgement.

Then they realized at Disney what happened...they really have nothing left for 9 and pooching 2 out of 3 is exactly what happened with the prequell.

In a way...they made the exact same mistake...ignoring compelling new story for packagable “new fans”’and “new products”

And again...the old guard was proven correct. The story, the characters, the social and political undertones were never broken...
It wasn’t broke and you break it when you “fix it”.

Old geek fans 2, Hollywood foreign market covering execs 0
I agree with you 100% that we didn't need the soft reboot as like you said, it wasn't broke. But I was more talking about how the movie could end up good. As a stupidly ginormous fan of star wars (emphasis on stupid. Lol) I am hoping for them to tail back on some of what made force awakens compelling. And I don't see JJ abandoning his own ideas. And I sure as heck don't see him going all Rambo and "subverting expectations" like Rian did. like I said, they will never be the sequels I wanted. But I do see a scenario that JJ can at least close it out so we can move on to something new like the old republic. I know I know, stupidly optimistic. ;)

tk924

I'm just ready to get the ST over with. So far Disney Lucasfilm has proven they have no idea what they're doing with the saga films.
R1 and Solo were pretty good IMHO. I would vote for continuing with the spin offs.
Disney can make great films. Just look at what Marvel has done/is doing. They have tons of characters with tons of movies and they were/are able to connect that entire universe together. If I were Iger, I would replace KK with someone that knows Star Wars like Kevin Fiege knows Marvel. But, here we are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with you 100% that we didn't need the soft reboot as like you said, it wasn't broke. But I was more talking about how the movie could end up good. As a stupidly ginormous fan of star wars (emphasis on stupid. Lol) I am hoping for them to tail back on some of what made force awakens compelling. And I don't see JJ abandoning his own ideas. And I sure as heck don't see him going all Rambo and "subverting expectations" like Rian did. like I said, they will never be the sequels I wanted. But I do see a scenario that JJ can at least close it out so we can move on to something new like the old republic. I know I know, stupidly optimistic. ;)

I think the carcass has just been picked bare...

Let’s face it: the “great new characters” are more cardboard than the now “Oscar winning”
Performances of hamill and fisher in the cocaine performances of the late 70’s....and they so mishandled the “bridge” to the OT characters that you just want them to go away...but not with action figure nostalgia that Disney completely missed on.

“He’s Dead, Jim”....

Which is ironic...because I think the best path forward is to go to high end serials...away from movies.

The problem with the “highly anticipated movies” are they have to be good. If they’re not...it tinges your desire to consume the franchise more...which was what both Lucas and Disney has frankly boned in the last two blocks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm just ready to get the ST over with. So far Disney Lucasfilm has proven they have no idea what they're doing with the saga films.
R1 and Solo were pretty good IMHO. I would vote for continuing with the spin offs.
Disney can make great films. Just look at what Marvel has done/is doing. They have tons of characters with tons of movies and they were/are able to connect that entire universe together. If I were Iger, I would replace KK with someone that knows Star Wars like Kevin Fiege knows Marvel. But, here we are.

I can’t say I’m not with you...I don’t want to be - but I am.

It’s just impossible to fathom. CBS has somehow managed to bring Star Trek back to relevancy...which I thought impossible...and Disney is this obtuse about its prized franchise?

Again...it’s Kennedy (with help from the board room)...

Star Wars isn’t suited for “diversification” or chasing box office in “developing markets”...and its clear that’s what they tried. The action figure market in the west was tapping out so they tried to find the late 20th Century somewhere else.

SW is a “NATO” thing...and 20 years ago I would have said (exactly 20 years...ironically) that it didn’t matter what characters or
Archetypes you used. But sadly it does.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Which is ironic...because I think the best path forward is to go to high end serials...away from movies.
I know everyone is high on the whole TV is the best way to do star wars now. I'm just not that excited for it. I hope the Mandalorian is good but I am a movie guy all the way. I get that if a show doesn't do well, it won't be a huge spectacle like a movie that does poor. I just don't like that conservative reasoning. Make a TV show because that is the best device to tell your story, not because you need content for your new service and you're afraid to make a movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know everyone is high on the whole TV is the best way to do star wars now. I'm just not that excited for it. I hope the Mandalorian is good but I am a movie guy all the way. I get that if a show doesn't do well, it won't be a huge spectacle like a movie that does poor. I just don't like that conservative reasoning. Make a TV show because that is the best device to tell your story, not because you need content for your new service and you're afraid to make a movie.

I don’t disagrees with your take on tv at all. I want Star Wars to be more “game of thrones” on tv...not so much Disney junior.

But the problem is they can’t make a good movie. They can’t do the marvel thing and put the story progression first...and pay for personality if needed.
Just can’t do it.

tk924

I hear ya. But then I read this which gives me a little hope that The Mandalorian might be good.

Deadline dot com said:
In regards to directing an episode of Disney+ Star Wars streaming series The Mandalorian, Waititi said “it was amazing. Favreau is a genius…it’s fun doing something in the Star Wars universe. It’s a strangest to see a stormtrooper, and then when you’re doing a scene with 50 or 60 of them, it’s amazing.”

Can we expect his energetic, comical, colorful style on the Boba Fett-inspired series?

“A little bit, but Star Wars is very different to the Marvel style. The tone of the first films really should be adhered to, it’s what the fans like. You can’t disrespect it. Definitely my tone is in there.”

See. Taika Waititi gets it.
Also, OT Stormtroopers confirmed?! Nice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hear ya. But then I read this which gives me a little hope that The Mandalorian might be good.

See. Taika Waititi gets it.
Also, OT Stormtroopers confirmed?! Nice.

Star Wars fans are full of “novice” fans...by that I mean they plead undying love of the property without looking around at what is going on in greater Hollywood and how to make it better...

Farveau is really the “godfather”
Of the MCU...it really became a possibility with Ironman.
If he could be left alone to just produce content...not worry about Kennedy’s Agenda or Iger’s golden parachute...it’s a gold mine scenario. Much like Feige.

And tone is everything. Empire and Jedi are the star wars tone. Gritty, tactile and on a big scale.

They have largely screwed That up ever since (because George was cheap and Disney doesn’t get Star Wars)...with only a few glimmers per movie...notable R1 and some glints in TFA

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Star Wars fans are full of “novice” fans...And tone is everything. Empire and Jedi are the star wars tone. Gritty, tactile and on a big scale.

Novice fans indeed if one thinks Empire and Jedi are close to having the same tone or that Jedi with its Ewoks is 'gritty.'

When they came out, fans of New Hope disliked Empire and loved Jedi. Then, over time, that assessment flipped.

Different people have different tastes and when one doesn't like something and it trying to convince everyone else that their opinion is wrong, well, that's a fool's errand.

But, we know that won't stop you from non-stop posting in every Star Wars related thread.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Novice fans indeed if one thinks Empire and Jedi are close to having the same tone or that Jedi with its Ewoks is 'gritty.'

When they came out, fans of New Hope disliked Empire and loved Jedi. Then, over time, that assessment flipped.

Different people have different tastes and when one doesn't like something and it trying to convince everyone else that their opinion is wrong, well, that's a fool's errand.

But, we know that won't stop you from non-stop posting in every Star Wars related thread.
Typical NOVICE take

Take the Ewoks out of the frame and look at the Endor sequences...notably the speeder bike chase and when skywalker flips off and the scout comes back around....

The look, the movement, the sound effects (effective without using Williams at that moment)...
Slow it down and watch the blaster shots deflect off the green and flash with little pyro on the trees behind (I have...many times back to vhs)...

That’s what I’m talking about.

Or If you need to make the standard superficial Ewok jokes....use the majority of the sail barge sequence...the things that don’t involve slashes and laser beams...same effect.

I thought you blocked me? Please continue to do so if you’re gonna show up to the table empty handed.

Your takes on the last episode are beyond wrong. Don’t believe me...believe Hollywood and Wall Street.

How about Adam driver? Who was just quoted as saying “this is our last chance to get it right”

Do you want the link?

Anyway...I wasn’t bothering you...i’m Being respectful and not stalking the Brazil threads 😂

ppete1975

Next sunday abc is showing the force awakens for the first time on free network tv... wouldnt this be a great time to release the trailer or a teaser. Boosts ratings of an abc show, they own the channel, star wars fans will be watching anyway...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Anyway...I wasn’t bothering you...i’m Being respectful and not stalking the Brazil threads 😂

uyv2BwX.gif

blanche

Tick Tock

Next sunday abc is showing the force awakens for the first time on free network tv... wouldnt this be a great time to release the trailer or a teaser. Boosts ratings of an abc show, they own the channel, star wars fans will be watching anyway...
The SW fan in me would love this. Heck, I'd be giddy if they'd release a trailer tomorrow. But I think they are doing it smart by waiting until April. There are still many people suffering from SW fatigue, so it is no secret why Lucasfilm is holding back on the goods with this one.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

To what end? Who’s watching?...that movie has been on tnt once a month for 2 years..

And is “free tv” still exotic?

ppete1975

The SW fan in me would love this. Heck, I'd be giddy if they'd release a trailer tomorrow. But I think they are doing it smart by waiting until April. There are still many people suffering from SW fatigue, so it is no secret why Lucasfilm is holding back on the goods with this one.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
I agree although i think alot of the star wars fatigue is overblown. If the trailer is great or even if its bad ep 9 will bring in tons of money. I didnt like 8 ..at all but i liked 7 r1 and solo. They can rectify everything by just making 9 enjoyable. Everyone will be ok again.

ppete1975

To what end? Who’s watching?...that movie has been on tnt once a month for 2 years..

And is “free tv” still exotic?
Lots of people still watch broadcast tv. And like they do for mnf and good morning America, a trailer release would make people watch a show on their channel. Same people who watch the super bowl for the commercials. I doubt they will do it though because it makes too much sense.. and thats not their strongpoint lately.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree although i think alot of the star wars fatigue is overblown. If the trailer is great or even if its bad ep 9 will bring in tons of money. I didnt like 8 ..at all but i liked 7 r1 and solo. They can rectify everything by just making 9 enjoyable. Everyone will be ok again.

I think “Star Wars “ fatigue is the most convenient “pro-disney” excuse I’ve ever seen.
And I done seen a lot of dem in 25 years.

Indeed...I thought “it’s actually TOO much of a great value” as an excuse for them doubling or even tripling some prices over the last
Decade would be impossible to beat...

But the idea of “Star Wars fatigue” is DOA when the same company cranks out 2-3 bigger and bigger marvel films each year. In the next 3
months, they will net $3 billion in box office receipts without breaking a sweat...

So how is it that no one could be bothered to show for movie about Chewbacca, Lando and the millennium falcon? Who also had one of the biggest Fantasy draws in Emilia clarke?

It wasn’t spectacular...but was it “flop worthy”??

Nah...there’s a deeper undercurrent than “fatigue”

I can speak only for my demographic...the backbone fan with the money to spend...and as
We do here with WDW (as the backbone) -
Reject the excuses and spend 4.3 seconds to state
The truth...

There’s a wide range of opinion as to who’s mad and how big a problem it is?

Is it 3% or fans or 85% of fans?

This last year of hibernation tells me Disney knows about what that number is...and it would be shocking - my guess.

There are signs in everyday life...look at the LEGO or toy isles....or the internet sites. What are they pushing as product and promo?

Burbank, Presidio...we have a problem.

Delaying the trailer isn’t “fatigue”....it’s a tactic to lay low.

And the movie has to be great. What’s the chance? Nuance man is trying to build and erector set without the bolts.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lots of people still watch broadcast tv. And like they do for mnf and good morning America, a trailer release would make people watch a show on their channel. Same people who watch the super bowl for the commercials. I doubt they will do it though because it makes too much sense.. and thats not their strongpoint lately.

That doesn’t mean they are waiting to watch star war on abc...

I mean...that’s like 1985-95 thought. People are cord cutting for streaming and web platforms.
They can find a 4 year old Star Wars movie.

There are no “event” broadcasts of movies. It’s not game of thrones

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nuance man may forget that Disney is making a conscious decision. These are not the fans you are looking for. There is bound to be a virtual rain of hate waiting for the conclusion of the Skywalker storyline which is exclusive of ill feelings generated by The Last Jedi.

Every character of their childhood in the Star Wars mythos will be gone. They cant in other Disney character terms simply "Let it go"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom