Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

tk924

I 100% think that was the case. Who would want to take over with the divide that 8 created. It would be a lose lose. Just like another director taking over for Gunn on guardians. Who would want that trouble?
Plus they can't fire a wamen in this day and age. Could you image the backlash from that? Never mind that she is responsible for the decline of the world's biggest movie franchise. Boy is Disney between a rock and a hard place.
Oh, and what a really poor decision on the GotG director rehire. WTH, Disney?!

I saw this awhile back and came across it again...

It’s a good way to exercise curiosity for a few minutes...

These videos are hard to watch but are so true. Disney just does not get it or either does not care. Either way, it's bad if Ruin Johnson is involved in anything SW related in the future.

sedati

If this is true, boooooooo.

My quick take:
Kylo only told Rey what her saw when their minds were linked. He gave voice to her deepest fear, that which she truly believed but would never admit even to herself. This is not necessarily the truth.

Rey's parents were scavangers. What if they found baby Rey and kept her (briefly) as their own child? There was aparently some secret stuff Palpatine had going on back on Jakku. Some sort of back-up plan. He's experimented on children before, and with the help of Darth Plagueis, they basically brought about the birth of Anakin.

Tony Perkis

My quick take:
Kylo only told Rey what her saw when their minds were linked. He gave voice to her deepest fear, that which she truly believed but would never admit even to herself. This is not necessarily the truth.

Rey's parents were scavangers. What if they found baby Rey and kept her (briefly) as their own child? There was aparently some secret stuff Palpatine had going on back on Jakku. Some sort of back-up plan. He's experimented on children before, and with the help of Darth Plagueis, they basically brought about the birth of Anakin.
Her parents don’t matter.

They’re irrelevant.

She’s a special, force sensitive individual, and she should not be connected to anybody else. That was a major idea and theme within TLJ, and while I know that many people in this thread hate that film, that was a generally accepted plot point.

If JJ comes in and says, no, she has OT connections, he’s a hack of a writer.

And let’s be real here: he’s not going to make a prequel trilogy conversation a major point in her heritage. This series has made it abundantly clear that it wants nothing to do with the prequels.

Thank god.

Mike S

Her parents don’t matter.

They’re irrelevant.

She’s a special, force sensitive individual, and she should not be connected to anybody else. That was a major idea and theme within TLJ, and while I know that many people in this thread hate that film, that was a generally accepted plot point.

If JJ comes in and says, no, she has OT connections, he’s a hack of a writer.

And let’s be real here: he’s not going to make a prequel trilogy conversation a major point in her heritage. This series has made it abundantly clear that it wants nothing to do with the prequels.

Thank god.
Her having no connection to anyone else would’ve been fine if she wasn’t super skilled without any training shown or explanation given for her incredible skills. Every single past character it was either shown, heavily implied, or explicitly told that they had to go though some kind of training to get to the point they were at. With Rey, no, she’s just special. It flies in the face of everything previously established about the Force and the Jedi. They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner where they have to give some kind of incredible explanation for this even if it means connecting her to a previous character. All of this could’ve been avoided if they just adhered to what was previously established about how one comes to be exceptionally skilled in using the Force: hard work, discipline, and training. Or falling to the Dark Side and letting your emotions completely take over but even then I think all the characters that fell were already training to be Jedi. Of course I’ve only seen the movies so anyone can correct me if I’m wrong if there’s a character out there that just went right to the Dark Side without any Jedi training.

Tony Perkis

Her having no connection to anyone else would’ve been fine if she wasn’t super skilled without any training shown or explanation given for her incredible skills. Every single past character it was either shown, heavily implied, or explicitly told that they had to go though some kind of training to get to the point they were at. With Rey, no, she’s just special. It flies in the face of everything previously established about the Force and the Jedi. They pretty much wrote themselves into a corner where they have to give some kind of incredible explanation for this even if it means connecting her to a previous character. All of this could’ve been avoided if they just adhered to what was previously established about how one comes to be exceptionally skilled in using the Force: hard work, discipline, and training. Or falling to the Dark Side and letting your emotions completely take over but even then I think all the characters that fell were already training to be Jedi. Of course I’ve only seen the movies so anyone can correct me if I’m wrong if there’s a character out there that just went right to the Dark Side without any Jedi training.
Retroactively changing her story because she was initially written as a Mary Sue by Abrams and Kasdan would prove that Abrams and co. had no grand plan when TFA came out.

erasure fan1

Retroactively changing her story because she was initially written as a Mary Sue by Abrams and Kasdan would prove that Abrams and co. had no grand plan when TFA came out.
I'm not convinced that this is the case. You can tell there was no real grand plan, but one thing I do think they did plan, was for Rey to be a something. Leading up to the force awakens, Abrams had said that the reason Rey, was just Rey, was a last name would give things away. They kept it secret because there was a plan for her, a big portion of the marketing revolved around who is Rey. It was Rian who decided the hardest thing for her would be for her to be a nobody. There is no debating that the biggest mistake that was made with Disney star wars, was no outline for the trilogy. But I firmly believe that Abrams had a plan for Rey that made her a somebody.

Mike S

Exactly my point.
I'm not convinced that this is the case. You can tell there was no real grand plan, but one thing I do think they did plan, was for Rey to be a something. Leading up to the force awakens, Abrams had said that the reason Rey, was just Rey, was a last name would give things away. They kept it secret because there was a plan for her, a big portion of the marketing revolved around who is Rey. It was Rian who decided the hardest thing for her would be for her to be a nobody. There is no debating that the biggest mistake that was made with Disney star wars, was no outline for the trilogy. But I firmly believe that Abrams had a plan for Rey that made her a somebody.
There was an outline by JJ. Rian threw it out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I find this such a depressing, tony stark contrast to what’s going on in this threads “marquee” franchise.

If you have to pinpoint it - it’s that MCU structure/Hierarchy was in place prior to the Disney buyout. It’s amazing what difference that made

tk924

...yep.

They paid out ford...changed hamill...used fisher when she wasn’t up for it...sucked the admiral out of the window for the Jurassic park lady....

...I feel like I can stop now 😉

I said this before but the fact that they are again bringing back legacy characters screams of desperation. What are they going to do? Kill them off too? Have them ride off into the sunset? Does it matter? Do I care?
JJ has already been seen on video saying that he (they) consulted with George Lucas prior to writing 9. What does that say? I thought they threw out GL's ST treatment?
On one hand, if I were GL, I'd tell them to screw off. "You threw out my ST story! All you had to do was film it, morons! And now you want my help at the eleventh hour? No thanks."
On the other hand, he may just have wanted to help salvage as much of this train wreck as possible. To see at least a small part of his vision come to fruition. I can see that side too.
Again, I'm going to see 9 but with zero expectations. And I have this gut feeling that I will still be disappointed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I said this before but the fact that they are again bringing back legacy characters screams of desperation. What are they going to do? Kill them off too? Have them ride off into the sunset? Does it matter? Do I care?
JJ has already been seen on video saying that he (they) consulted with George Lucas prior to writing 9. What does that say? I thought they threw out GL's ST treatment?
On one hand, if I were GL, I'd tell them to screw off. "You threw out my ST story! All you had to do was film it, morons! And now you want my help at the eleventh hour? No thanks."
On the other hand, he may just have wanted to help salvage as much of this train wreck as possible. To see at least a small part of his vision come to fruition. I can see that side too.
Again, I'm going to see 9 but with zero expectations. And I have this gut feeling that I will still be disappointed.

I can’t absolve Lucas either....he managed to derail his own gravy train for its longevity....

But yes - to consult with George is insane based on the insanity that has occurred. It’s like lucasfilm was gutted in 2013 and reassigned to Pixar....they literally couldn’t be bothered to map out the stories with coherency. That’s arrogance on so many levels and proves they didn’t have a clue. They saw a franchise with 3 awful movies that sold plastic crap all over the place...so they decided only the label mattered. Learned no lessons from what actually took place. Which was begrudging acceptance by the fans in spite of their reservations and the public not relating the way they did when Empire came out.

Maybe George did tell them to go pound?? He would still have the right.

But what is he gonna say? Realistically he’ll just be standoffish/disgruntled...as he has been since the public learned that he couldn’t write a script or direct anymore in 1999.

If I were him...my first comment to abrams would have been: “so you had to relabel the good guys and bad guys, huh? Fixing what “ain’t broke”? Then of course to be immediately followed by killing all the good guys with a Death Star on steroids?

Why didn’t you have the Ewoks man the thing? Maybe turn them into zombies too? The kids love zombies these days.”

I wish the die wasn’t cast...but who are we kidding?

Apparently only those that can post bloated box office charts without analysis...you know - until one flopped? Then it doesn’t matter anymore 😳

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom