Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not saying they didn’t botch the sequels up. And yes, they are in partial retreat, but that's my point. They want the focus squarely on TV and that's it. In their eyes, TV is what is most important and they need Disney + to hit big. So what better way to insure you get a big boost, than making the new star wars on that platform. At the same time you give yourself the time to start over while peoples anticipation for the movies grows. I'm not saying I agree, just that's their mindset.

So when was the last time Hollywood was content and reduced what they were doing “by choice”...not by “necessity”?

Exactly...this would be the first.

They’re not just “into tv”...the newness is wearing off their Star Wars purchase and they’re mired in a storm with no direction. Tv is “safer” choice. It’s still damage control.

I still think the last jedi ruined my childhood crowd will dump on it even if its good. I agree that the average fan who just thought that last jedi was meh, will say it’s good if it indeed is. As far as them going back on TLJ, I fully expected that rise of Skywalker would be more of a sequel to awakens than last jedi, as it should be.

The biggest myth about the “this sucks” crowd is that they ever...for a millisecond...wanted Star Wars to suck.

They did not.

The reality is that when you do a side by side comparison...you had better either keep the same juju going or take it in a better direction. Both Lucas and Disney have failed to understand that. They just don’t seem to understand the original grip in time and space the movies had. Perhaps it was better to just not try?

Da Vinci never painted a “Mona Lisa 2”...that we know of...

One huge mistake...and it’s so hindsight...is they should have done 7 instead of 1...when the actors could resemble themselves. That would have fixed a lot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
<wrings hands> Oh, I hope this movie doesn't do something I don't like.
They would never do that.
giphy.gif

I fail to see why there are different rules for fandom here...

As a movie goer...I have every right to call something crap and tell you it’s crap. No different than any other pop flick.

Disney has the “right” to make things their way...but they lose because the fan support starts to defect and the money goes with it.

Life’s tough

Last edited:

doctornick

Same here. Even the parts leading up to the incredible final act. That movie spoiled me as a Star Wars fan.

Meanwhile... Rogue One is my least favorite of the Disney Star Wars films. Felt the character development was bad (didn't feel a connection to any of them except for K-2SO), no one is particularly likable, the films takes itself far too serious for the plot that is shown. It feels like a fan film (made to explain the Death Star plot hole, show off Vader's fighting, lead directly into the opening scene of Episode IV, etc.) than a proper product in its own right.

I suppose there's actually a lot of good premise for the film in terms of exploring the cost of actually rebelling (though I'm not really a fan of the dark tone, I prefer more straightforward good versus evil), but I found the execution to be quite lacking. I haven't really had much of a desire to revisit the film.

bclane

Reading posts about TLJ sometimes reminds me of my rare and perilous adventures into the Fox News message boards (my version of cutting myself). It always seems to end up being more about character attacks mixed with hypocrisy and nonsense rather than substance...regardless of what the article was about. I love TLJ, but I almost wish it wouldn't have happened just because of how much division it's caused within the fanbase. I'm really hoping that IX brings us all back together. I can hope can't I?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reading posts about TLJ sometimes reminds me of my rare and perilous adventures into the Fox News message boards (my version of cutting myself). It always seems to end up being more about character attacks mixed with hypocrisy and nonsense rather than substance...regardless of what the article was about. I love TLJ, but I almost wish it wouldn't have happened just because of how much division it's caused within the fanbase. I'm really hoping that IX brings us all back together. I can hope can't I?

I never cared about the SJW criticism...though it’s not completely crazy.

Look...Abrams did a setup. Period. No depth to the characters...but a start.

So ok...you have to proceed with it and they surely went the wrong way. There’s just no way to look at the 4 main characters after the second movie and find anything you didn’t know. And that’s why the trilogy is pretty much locked in as a disappointment. Just trying to be fair.

Two hours cant do much now. Actually in worse position to reclaim this time than the prequels!!!

That’s just where it is... there’s no flow or continuity. Can’t have that in a sequence...what if the two towers had reversed all the intrigue in fellowship? It doesn’t work...you can’t do a stand-alone. Even George gets that.

That is on Kennedy and to a lesser extent Abrams for allowing the boy crackpot to do whatever. I fully believe the rumor that Kennedy was to be fired and they just couldn’t get anyone to touch. It’s a no win at this point.

My cranking old guy criticism is of course with the handling of the 3 mains...I wish they hadn’t brought them back...to be honest.

Oh well. Life is life

LSLS

So ok...you have to proceed with it and they surely went the wrong way. There’s just no way to look at the 4 main characters after the second movie and find anything you didn’t know. And that’s why the trilogy is pretty much locked in as a disappointment. Just trying to be fair.

Two hours cant do much now. Actually in worse position to reclaim this time than the prequels!!!

That’s just where it is... there’s no flow or continuity. Can’t have that in a sequence...what if the two towers had reversed all the intrigue in fellowship? It doesn’t work...you can’t do a stand-alone. Even George gets that.

That is on Kennedy and to a lesser extent Abrams for allowing the boy crackpot to do whatever. I fully believe the rumor that Kennedy was to be fired and they just couldn’t get anyone to touch. It’s a no win at this point.

My cranking old guy criticism is of course with the handling of the 3 mains...I wish they hadn’t brought them back...to be honest.

Oh well. Life is life

Honestly I think that's fair. For me, the movie was just really long and boring for long stretches. The whole other world 45 minutes just dragged forever and bored the heck out of me. I've watched it a few more times, and I legit skip through that whole segment (usually along with a large chunk of the slow chase through space). Movie just wasn't fun to me for a large stretch. I didn't get nearly as mad about the character things (aside from the flying Leia), but the dragging on and on just killed it for me. I know your critiques on 7, and again, I can see the validity. But for someone like me, it was fun. And the bottom line to me is just that (as far as if I like a movie or not, not if it is one of my favorites which takes more). I don't look at films as deep as some do (and I have a suspicion I may be in the majority on that). You can absolutely call that movie just a simple rehash among other things, but it still entertained me, so I liked it, and I'd be ok if 9 was similar.

BUT, this is a trilogy, and I need to see it as such. Things were very disconnected between 7 and 8 (and there is 0 ways to argue otherwise). While I want this movie to entertain, I also need it to bring a conclusion. And that can't be ignoring 8, or just throwing nostalgic characters out there to make you forget there should be cohesion. This is where I look at this episode 9 teaser with a bit of skepticism. Not because it didn't look really good, but because it just didn't completely bring it together for me. And to be fair, you wouldn't expect that from a teaser, so I'm not shocked that it didn't get me ready to buy tickets tomorrow (well, that and the fact I'm infinitely more excited for End Game). It won't bring everyone back together, but the large group like me can be brought back still.

Mike S

Oh well. Life is life
The only point with that is that it’s like they try to use the diverse cast as a shield against criticism. The vast majority don’t care that Rey is a girl. They care that she’s BORING and has shown extreme skill with the Force with no explanation or training needed. People don’t care that Finn is black. He’s just BORING and has no sense of loyalty except to Rey, a girl he just met and has a crush on. Then they take away his one chance to actually fight for something and sacrifice himself. Poe is just a poor attempt at a new Han Solo but this time he makes yo mamma jokes (how fitting in Star Wars, a galaxy far, far, away). People don’t care that Rose Tico is Asian. She’s also BORING!!!

If you criticize them though? Racist, sexist, misogynist, manbaby, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only point with that is that it’s like they try to use the diverse cast as a shield against criticism. The vast majority don’t care that Rey is a girl. They care that she’s BORING and has shown extreme skill with the Force with no explanation or training needed. People don’t care that Finn is black. He’s just BORING and has no sense of loyalty except to Rey, a girl he just met and has a crush on. Then they take away his one chance to actually fight for something and sacrifice himself. Poe is just a poor attempt at a new Han Solo but this time he makes yo mamma jokes (how fitting in Star Wars, a galaxy far, far, away). People don’t care that Rose Tico is Asian. She’s also BORING!!!

If you criticize them though? Racist, sexist, misogynist, manbaby, etc.

I can’t disagree and that’s 1000% on Kennedy.

Period. It’s that cross with some whack Disney reading of demographics for product.

People bought the original 3 because they all developed an identity and character...people liked Vader because he was mysterious and sinister...the emperor was nailed as a creepy wizard...billy dee was cool not because he was black...because he was cool.

It had nothing to do with genetics or pigment.

If the portrayals and taglines are good...you can relate no matter your demographics.

And honestly - if you can’t relate because the person on screen doesn’t look exactly like you...then I wouldn’t care about you.

I’m white as a ghost...does that mean I can’t appreciate the hero and the villain in black panther??? Of course not...it’s a standard story with different races and cultural scenery. The core story never really changed.

Fisher in 1980-83 was a deeper, more empowered heroine than Rey. She navigated politics and personalities with gusto and maintained her female characteristics. Then they brought her back as the crypt keeper’s grandma and managed to undo it

Rey is bad. Ridley is just average. They boned her Jedi “awakening”...and now she’s got this skeevy Lannister thing going with driver.

It’s like they walked down an dead end...and are now trying to climb up a glass wall to escape...with their fingernails

Tony Perkis

If this is true, boooooooo.

Tony Perkis

I can’t disagree and that’s 1000% on Kennedy.

Period. It’s that cross with some whack Disney reading of demographics for product.

People bought the original 3 because they all developed an identity and character...people liked Vader because he was mysterious and sinister...the emperor was nailed as a creepy wizard...billy dee was cool not because he was black...because he was cool.

It had nothing to do with genetics or pigment.

If the portrayals and taglines are good...you can relate no matter your demographics.

And honestly - if you can’t relate because the person on screen doesn’t look exactly like you...then I wouldn’t care about you.

I’m white as a ghost...does that mean I can’t appreciate the hero and the villain in black panther??? Of course not...it’s a standard story with different races and cultural scenery. The core story never really changed.

Fisher in 1980-83 was a deeper, more empowered heroine than Rey. She navigated politics and personalities with gusto and maintained her female characteristics. Then they brought her back as the crypt keeper’s grandma and managed to undo it

Rey is bad. Ridley is just average. They boned her Jedi “awakening”...and now she’s got this skeevy Lannister thing going with driver.

It’s like they walked down an dead end...and are now trying to climb up a glass wall to escape...with their fingernails
I actually don’t think Abrams nor Johnson get enough credit for Kylo Ren. I think he is far and away the best and most intriguing character in the new trilogy.

LSLS

the pieces are there. lando, death star, palpatine. i'd be very, very surprised if this wasn't where JJ was going.

Eh the culmination you have to expect throwbacks. Hell the entire hype for end game has just been a throwback. All that matters is how its executed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually don’t think Abrams nor Johnson get enough credit for Kylo Ren. I think he is far and away the best and most intriguing character in the new trilogy.
I actually like him a lot.

It’s telling that he was the one flamed most vocally after 7 came out.

That just shows the fan base has lost the ability to relate to an OT type character...gotta think a little.

The 3 “heroes” are just flat. I thought Ridley did ok in 7....the other movies/performances were as disposable as toilet paper. They are gonna be in the “hall of forgotten” like Portman and Hayden Christensen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eh the culmination you have to expect throwbacks. Hell the entire hype for end game has just been a throwback. All that matters is how its executed.
Different being is endgame is a throwback for 21 recent movies...the book wasn’t closed.

Jedi is my favorite movie...ever. That’s just how it worked out for me...I don’t want to see it again. The Ewoks didn’t offend me that much that I need to revisit it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom