Star Tours II - Ride reviews

juan

YES Frank did Yoda (it was said a while back in the making process) and I am 99% sure Carrie reprised Leia as well. I think they took footage of her from R2's hologram and tweaked it to work. You can tell it's the older Carrie's voice :)

OK I am gonna say this first:
The ride is a great improvement! Don't go in there expecting the wheel to be re-invented cause it wasn't. It is GREAT to have 3PO in there. Like SUPER GREAT! All the screens in the waiting area are HD and everything is spick and span... there is even carpet in the que area now :) helps with sound echo. The 3D for the most part is for depth and adds realism to the area you are visiting. There were a few great REAL 3D moments, Naboo being one, but I won't spoil it. Naboo BTW so far is the favorite. It's funny too cause Jar Jar is in that one. I for one NEVER had a problem with Jar Jar, but worry not as he's only there for a second or two.

Now I will nitpick:
I rode it 5 times last night and 3 of these mere 95% identical. I was like oh it might just be cause they are testing. I can't wait to see the other places we go! :D I went online and read some more details... I got slightly disappointed.

I read for a while that you will visit 3 places each ride and there will be 16 areas/planets total that can be simulated giving you 54 ride options. I was slightly saddened today to read that the "3" is really "2" and the "16" places is really "6." So at this point I have seen all but Hoth and the Vader intro.

I am kinda disappointed Endor isn't a location, even though the Wookie planet is similar. Am I the only one that wanted the Endor Battle? :( Sad. I guess I wanted it as a throwback to the original attraction and COME ON! Hate em or Love em... I wanted to see ewoks flying through the air and fighting! :)

While I am on the subject of the original attraction... OK I can see not having the Endor Forrest Battle, OK sure... but they don't even have the original STAR WARS/STAR TOURS Death Star run. I think I am MOST saddened by this. I know the one from "Jedi" is in there, but it's not the same. That original one IS STAR WARS to most of us. I just assumed it would be an option in the "16." :shrug:

As a glimmer of hope... I TRULY HOPE that when they did this update, they ALSO updated the system to be added to over the years like Toy Story Mania. Star Wars is So much more than 6 locations.

The ride is amazing and SOOO MUCH BETTER. I am just slightly saddened cause I was thinking there would be more than 6 and I didn't think that 4 of the 6 would be from Ep1-3. I don't wanna bring anyone down or anything, I still totally love it. I just wanted to give you my take.

I will STILL be there on Friday with all the crazies supporting the update and will be sure to ride it once... or (depending on the line) twice.

It's nice to have you back Star Tours :)

Well said! I agree!:wave:

Captain Hank

While I am on the subject of the original attraction... OK I can see not having the Endor Forrest Battle, OK sure... but they don't even have the original STAR WARS/STAR TOURS Death Star run. I think I am MOST saddened by this. I know the one from "Jedi" is in there, but it's not the same. That original one IS STAR WARS to most of us. I just assumed it would be an option in the "16." :shrug:
That is the original Death Star...it just hasn't been finished yet. I was a little bummed that we didn't get a version of the trench run, but flying all through the structure was still very awesome.

As a glimmer of hope... I TRULY HOPE that when they did this update, they ALSO updated the system to be added to over the years like Toy Story Mania. Star Wars is So much more than 6 locations.
Same here. I'm holding out for a Star Tours Holiday Special. :xmas:

corrwill

That is the original Death Star...it just hasn't been finished yet. I was a little bummed that we didn't get a version of the trench run, but flying all through the structure was still very awesome.

Same here. I'm holding out for a Star Tours Holiday Special. :xmas:

OH THAT'S WHY HE PUT THE WOOKIE PLANET IN THERE!!!! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW ;) Happy Life Day!

Yeah I still want the trench Run :) Time frame is already out the window... let's go for broke. people won't care. It kinda feels like a time jump anyway ha ha ha :lol:

SJN1279

I just think they could have put all the main characters on every ride and changed other aspects of the adventure. Seems like a blown opportunity to me, or just lazy imagineering.

Maybe the Yeti is randomly on A or B mode depending on the train? Maybe for The Little Mermaid can alternate between Ursula and Ursulas sister from Little Mermaid 2 on the new attraction. It would really spice things up and keep the guests guessing.

:ROFLOL:

MightyGitis

Now I will nitpick:
I rode it 5 times last night and 3 of these were 95% identical. I was like oh it might just be cause they are testing. I can't wait to see the other places we go! :D I went online and read some more details... I got slightly disappointed.

I read for a while that you will visit 3 places each ride and there will be 16 areas/planets total that can be simulated giving you 54 ride options. I was slightly saddened today to read that the "3" is really "2" and the "16" places is really "6." So at this point I have seen all but Hoth and the Vader intro.

The ride is set up in four stages. The first has two options, the other three have three options. This leads to 54 possible ride combinations (2 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 54). I'm not sure where your other ten destinations came from. For a complete phase break down click here.

I am kinda disappointed Endor isn't a location, even though the Wookie planet is similar. Am I the only one that wanted the Endor Battle? :( Sad. I guess I wanted it as a throwback to the original attraction and COME ON! Hate em or Love em... I wanted to see ewoks flying through the air and fighting! :)

This ride takes place AFTER episode three but BEFORE A New Hope. Which means there are three movies between the ride's time frame and the battle that takes place on Endor.

Once again, a timeframe confusion. The Deathstar you are seeing on the ride is the FIRST Deathstar it just hasn't been completed yet. The original ride taking place during the same time as Return of the Jedi showed the second Deathstar before it was destroyed.

The ride is amazing and SOOO MUCH BETTER. I am just slightly saddened cause I was thinking there would be more than 6 and I didn't think that 4 of the 6 would be from Ep1-3. I don't wanna bring anyone down or anything, I still totally love it. I just wanted to give you my take.

What destinations aside from Endor did you feel should have been added? I'm just curious. Bearing the timeframe in mind it isn't surprising that all but one of the destinations were from episodes 1-3. George Lucas said that technically story wise Hoth shouldn't have been in there, but he wanted the AT-AT battle.

I will STILL be there on Friday with all the crazies supporting the update and will be sure to ride it once... or (depending on the line) twice.

It's nice to have you back Star Tours :)

I would say I will see you there, but it's gonna be CRAZY!!!

I just think they could have put all the main characters on every ride and changed other aspects of the adventure. Seems like a blown opportunity to me, or just lazy imagineering.

Maybe the Yeti is randomly on A or B mode depending on the train? Maybe for The Little Mermaid can alternate between Ursula and Ursulas sister from Little Mermaid 2 on the new attraction. It would really spice things up and keep the guests guessing.

:ROFLOL:

I really don't think you get the concept of the ride. But honestly, I think adding a re-ride ability is a genius idea. I had practically MEMORIZED the old Star Tours story. So what if I might see Ackbar instead of Yoda sometimes. At least every rides gonna be a bit different.

And your exaggerated examples of course don't make any sense. The Yeti is in B mode because it's broken. And Ursula didn't have a sister.

But in a universe as VAST as Star Wars perhaps having different variations allowed all the characters in there to get some time, instead of meaning only a third of them were in it at all. Just saying.

SJN1279

The ride is set up in four stages. The first has two options, the other three have three options. This leads to 54 possible ride combinations (2 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 54). I'm not sure where your other ten destinations came from. For a complete phase break down click here.

This ride takes place AFTER episode three but BEFORE A New Hope. Which means there are three movies between the ride's time frame and the battle that takes place on Endor.

Once again, a timeframe confusion. The Deathstar you are seeing on the ride is the FIRST Deathstar it just hasn't been completed yet. The original ride taking place during the same time as Return of the Jedi showed the second Deathstar before it was destroyed.

What destinations aside from Endor did you feel should have been added? I'm just curious. Bearing the timeframe in mind it isn't surprising that all but one of the destinations were from episodes 1-3. George Lucas said that technically story wise Hoth shouldn't have been in there, but he wanted the AT-AT battle.

I would say I will see you there, but it's gonna be CRAZY!!!

I really don't think you get the concept of the ride. But honestly, I think adding a re-ride ability is a genius idea. I had practically MEMORIZED the old Star Tours story. So what if I might see Ackbar instead of Yoda sometimes. At least every rides gonna be a bit different.

And your exaggerated examples of course don't make any sense. The Yeti is in B mode because it's broken. And Ursula didn't have a sister.

But in a universe as VAST as Star Wars perhaps having different variations allowed all the characters in there to get some time, instead of meaning only a third of them were in it at all. Just saying.

Ursula's sister was the villain in the Little Mermaid sequel. I just think they could have built a storyline than kept all the major characters and just varied the storyline accordingly(different dialogue or scenarios).

Since1976

The fact that modularity is built into the attraction this time around has me really hopeful that George Lucas will take advantage of what he touted to be a "feature" of STAR TOURS way back in 1987: that the ride film could be easily switched out and updated.

Is it too much to hope that the Imagineers have held back some scenes to be trotted out in future editions?

Captain Hank

The fact that modularity is built into the attraction this time around has me really hopeful that George Lucas will take advantage of what he touted to be a "feature" of STAR TOURS way back in 1987: that the ride film could be easily switched out and updated.

Is it too much to hope that the Imagineers have held back some scenes to be trotted out in future editions?
The fact that any given segment can work independently of any other segment gives me hope that periodically changing the ride from this point forward will be much more of a possibility.

juan

Ursula's sister was the villain in the Little Mermaid sequel. I just think they could have built a storyline than kept all the major characters and just varied the storyline accordingly(different dialogue or scenarios).
See the Little Mermaid ride is based off the movie's storyline but Star Tours is its own storyline.

How would having all of the characters in one iteration of the ride be able to have any continuity? It would just be a jumbled mess.
The Star Wars universe is so vast that there is no possible way of having all the main characters together.

Why don't you just wait until you ride it first.

thelookingglass

I don't understand why you guys are complaining that there are "only" 6 destinations. The original had.... space, a fake looking comet, and.... the Death Star. Thats it. And this version can't have the Death Star trench because it takes place before A New Hope. Plus, people would complain that their ride was too similar to the original - remember that the average guest will maybe ride once or twice, not over and over to try to see every destination. The average guest may not even KNOW that the ride is random.

Above all, everyone should be happy that Disney actually did it right this time - they took a ride that was basically in a run down, sad state and was very outdated and turned it into an awesome E-ticket worthy of getting a Fastpass for.
Technically, the Death Star/Boba Fett ending is arguably part of episode 4, same with the pod race - while it would have been nice to see more of Tatooine (Mos Eisley Spaceport, for example), its still on Tatooine. As far as I'm concerned, only three of the destinations are from episodes 1-3.

MightyGitis

Technically, the Death Star/Boba Fett ending is arguably part of episode 4, same with the pod race - while it would have been nice to see more of Tatooine (Mos Eisley Spaceport, for example), its still on Tatooine. As far as I'm concerned, only three of the destinations are from episodes 1-3.

I haven't ridden it yet, but how is pod racing from episode 4? Who is in the pods??? The only pod racing I know of is in Episode 1.

Mansion Butler

See the Little Mermaid ride is based off the movie's storyline but Star Tours is its own storyline.

How would having all of the characters in one iteration of the ride be able to have any continuity? It would just be a jumbled mess.
The Star Wars universe is so vast that there is no possible way of having all the main characters together.

Why don't you just wait until you ride it first.
I'd bet everything he's just trying to stir the pot.

SJN1279

I'd bet everything he's just trying to stir the pot.

No I am actually upset by their oversight. I am traveling to Florida this May for a 2 night trip. My main focus of riding the attraction was to see my favorite characters come to life(specifically Yoda). 3-D tends to make me queasy after a bit, and the thought of riding this attraction multiple times without getting to see what I want just does not sound like fun.

thelookingglass

No I am actually upset by their oversight. I am traveling to Florida this May for a 2 night trip. My main focus of riding the attraction was to see my favorite characters come to life(specifically Yoda). 3-D tends to make me queasy after a bit, and the thought of riding this attraction multiple times without getting to see what I want just does not sound like fun.
Ok, but this is a RIDE, not a 3D movie attraction. The point of the 3D was not so you could see characters coming at you in 3D.

Since1976

It is wasn't about the characters, why not just called it 3D Space Adventure and save a ton on royalties?

I think you'll have to wait for the oft-rumored Star Wars / LucasLand to be built to get the in-depth Star Wars character attraction experience you're looking for (YODA*VISION 3-D?). The draw of STAR TOURS has always been as a space simulator rather than as an episode in the story, like the movies. This latest iteration of the ride ramps up the very thing that has always been ST's main feature -- an immersive experience of flight through classic scenes / locations from the saga. The fact that actual characters make appearances is, I think, a great bonus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom