Star Tours II - Ride reviews

ERich2010

Certain characters should be on every ride(especially Yoda and Vader). You can change what they say, but they should be constant. The fact that Disney/Lucas screwed that simple point up, is really saddening.

i wouldnt want that at all. i think it should be a surprise. while vader and yoda are definitely iconic, vader isnt the only villain in the star wars universe, and yoda isnt the only good guy. plus, it adds to the re-ridability of this attraction. new characters each time means new story

fractal

Certain characters should be on every ride(especially Yoda and Vader). You can change what they say, but they should be constant. The fact that Disney/Lucas screwed that simple point up, is really saddening.

Why?

That's the beauty of it - different show each time. I think you've entirely missed the point.

Since1976

That really sucks. I think that hurts the ride more than helps it. I'm much less excited for the attraction now.

Scratching my head over this one. Disappointing to a huge Vader or Yoda fan maybe, but "really sucks"? Considering no characters appeared in the original ST, I think what the new ride offers is something to look forward to.

fractal

Scratching my head over this one. Disappointing to a huge Vader or Yoda fan maybe, but "really sucks"? Considering no characters appeared in the original ST, I think what the new ride offers is something to look forward to.

Can you imagine? Actually having to maybe ride it twice to see your favorite character. :eek:

(tic)

jmmc

While it sure doesn't make the ride "suck", I will admit it seems a little silly to not include Darth Vader each time, considering he's such an iconic character. But, c'mon, this still sounds great. The fact that you're sitting inside the ship with a reportedly-impressive C-3PO AA alone makes me anxious to ride this ride!

disneyeater

I was in DHS on Friday, the day before the soft opening. I couldn't get back over there Saturday or Sunday before I left. Guess I will have to wait for the next trip.

Since1976

There's another review from the real Star Wars geek perspective, over at TheForce.net, very detailed about the queue and various details of the rides different variations.

But keep in mind, this link has big
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Tours_The_Adventures_Continue_Review_138213.asp

The writer's description of the Coruscant sequence, especially the end, pretty much matches what I had envisioned for that sequence years ago! :sohappy:

shakes20

Question..

Okay, so this ride takes place between Episodes 3 & 4. Princess Leia is one of the options that you might see on the ride. Carrie Fisher, who played Leia, has not gotten any younger. Anyone willing to tell me how they handled that?

MightyGitis

Okay, so this ride takes place between Episodes 3 & 4. Princess Leia is one of the options that you might see on the ride. Carrie Fisher, who played Leia, has not gotten any younger. Anyone willing to tell me how they handled that?

I think the whole ride including characters is CG. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Since1976

Edited because I didn't understand the initial question!

mybad!

ptaylor

Premium Member

Not sure how it is done, but I saw the Leia sequence on one of my rides and she looks just how you would expect. Looks perfect.

shakes20

I guess my real question is, even if they used cgi for the characters, IMDB actually has a page for this attraction http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643247/fullcredits#cast
that lists James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Alison Janney as cast members, there is no mention of Carrie Fisher, did she at least provide the voice? I've heard that Frank Oz did the voice of Yoda but he isn't listed on IMDB either. I just like the idea of getting the original cast to lend their talent to this attraction.
Please, I'm not trying to be a hater, I can't wait to see this, it sounds awesome! Just wondering...

shakes20

On an unrelated note, looking around on IMDB, just found out that Paul Reubens was the voice of REX in the original. Never knew that, but now that I know, I should have guessed it!

corrwill

I guess my real question is, even if they used cgi for the characters, IMDB actually has a page for this attraction http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643247/fullcredits#cast
that lists James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Alison Janney as cast members, there is no mention of Carrie Fisher, did she at least provide the voice? I've heard that Frank Oz did the voice of Yoda but he isn't listed on IMDB either. I just like the idea of getting the original cast to lend their talent to this attraction.
Please, I'm not trying to be a hater, I can't wait to see this, it sounds awesome! Just wondering...

YES Frank did Yoda (it was said a while back in the making process) and I am 99% sure Carrie reprised Leia as well. I think they took footage of her from R2's hologram and tweaked it to work. You can tell it's the older Carrie's voice :)

OK I am gonna say this first:
The ride is a great improvement! Don't go in there expecting the wheel to be re-invented cause it wasn't. It is GREAT to have 3PO in there. Like SUPER GREAT! All the screens in the waiting area are HD and everything is spick and span... there is even carpet in the que area now :) helps with sound echo. The 3D for the most part is for depth and adds realism to the area you are visiting. There were a few great REAL 3D moments, Naboo being one, but I won't spoil it. Naboo BTW so far is the favorite. It's funny too cause Jar Jar is in that one. I for one NEVER had a problem with Jar Jar, but worry not as he's only there for a second or two.

Now I will nitpick:
I rode it 5 times last night and 3 of these were 95% identical. I was like oh it might just be cause they are testing. I can't wait to see the other places we go! :D I went online and read some more details... I got slightly disappointed.

I read for a while that you will visit 3 places each ride and there will be 16 areas/planets total that can be simulated giving you 54 ride options. I was slightly saddened today to read that the "3" is really "2" and the "16" places is really "6." So at this point I have seen all but Hoth and the Vader intro.

I am kinda disappointed Endor isn't a location, even though the Wookie planet is similar. Am I the only one that wanted the Endor Battle? :( Sad. I guess I wanted it as a throwback to the original attraction and COME ON! Hate em or Love em... I wanted to see ewoks flying through the air and fighting! :)

While I am on the subject of the original attraction... OK I can see not having the Endor Forrest Battle, OK sure... but they don't even have the original STAR WARS/STAR TOURS Death Star run. I think I am MOST saddened by this. I know the one from "Jedi" is in there, but it's not the same. That original one IS STAR WARS to most of us. I just assumed it would be an option in the "16." :shrug:

As a glimmer of hope... I TRULY HOPE that when they did this update, they ALSO updated the system to be added to over the years like Toy Story Mania. Star Wars is So much more than 6 locations.

The ride is amazing and SOOO MUCH BETTER. I am just slightly saddened cause I was thinking there would be more than 6 and I didn't think that 4 of the 6 would be from Ep1-3. I don't wanna bring anyone down or anything, I still totally love it. I just wanted to give you my take.

I will STILL be there on Friday with all the crazies supporting the update and will be sure to ride it once... or (depending on the line) twice.

It's nice to have you back Star Tours :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom