SSE will color change! (Updates too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hey kids, back from Epcot and the other parks.

I came home tired, cranky, sweaty, and a lil bummed out. Nothing is really happening in the parks... Well.. except one photo..

I took a photo of the backside of a light in the plater at SSE not thinking much of it or even considering what i was taking a photo of.. I was jsut interested in the light cuz it looked cool.

It's a Color Kinetics C-Splash 2.

They're all along the planters around SSE pointing at the palm trees.

For everyone going "Wha..?" and why that's important.. That light is capable of being any one of 16.7 million colors. It's very expensive and is not a simple "uplight" for highlighting trees with white light. The planters has perfectly functional lights like those before.

So, i'm very excited! To me that's proof they intend to change SSE's color. If it was static color, they'd gel (add a color filter) a light or buy one with limited color range. 16.7 million colors? They plan on using that.

Happy merf! *bounces* I got some other photos and such coming up too, wait around and they'll be up shortly :)

Before i forget, linky to the light's page:

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/csplash2/

TheDisneyMagic

All I can say is... WOW, this is amazing think of the photos we can take when this effect comes into place.

Thanks Merf.

SDav10495

:sohappy:

Oooohh, I've been waiting for this news for so long...merf breaks the good news once again. This is going to be stunning.

ETA: But whoa, Philips rather than Sylvania? That's unexpected.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Woohooo!

**Doing my little dance**
You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out...
oh..wait..wrong dance!

Macarena - place my arms forward, palm down, right arm, then left arm - you know the dance..now get to it!

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Super news!!!

WDWFigment

After all the hubbub made about the benefits of showcasing Sylvania lighting, it seems really, really odd for them to have gone with Philips. Any ideas why?

DisneySaint

Pretty sure those are for the trees. I saw them myself and, unless they have some jumbo one's on a roof somewhere, I can't seeing it light a nearly-200ft geosphere.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Pretty sure those are for the trees. I saw them myself and, unless they have some jumbo one's on a roof somewhere, I can't seeing it light a nearly-200ft geosphere.

Never said they were for the spjhere, did i? If you hop off your high horse, you'll notice that there's no good reason to light the trees in 16.7 million colors unless they intend to also light the building.

Figment1986

those seem more short range.. like trees, walls, and sidewalks..

weird how its philips and not Sylvania unless they don't have a comparable light yet...

I think I've seen those used in shows before to accent the area around the stage. or at least it appeared to be similar.

edit: I found the description interesting..
It is perfect for fountain, landscaping, and theme park applications or simply locations near the ocean or situated within harsh environments.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Okie, here's the famous light:

csplash02.jpg

And the all-important backside of the light..

csplash03.jpg

And for good measure, I made the sure the mural was still there:

csplash04.jpg

And the only other remotely interesting thing in Epcot is that the refurb area in West Innoventions has growth and absorbed part of the walkway.

csplash01.jpg

And that's mostly it for Epcot until I took some gratuitous shots of SSE later.. MGM in a few.

Sidebar: I video taped the SSE lounge lights cycling through colors. These new lights cycle through colors (they're designed for it). Why would they have the lounge and the trees around the building change colors and not the sphere? Enough of the Debby-downer talk.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Here we go, Toy Story Mania..

csplash17.jpg

Got some glass..

csplash18.jpg

The irony is that for these photos it was like 90 outside, but i was standing in a snowstorm thanks to the Narnia display and it's snow machine.

csplash19.jpg

Elsewhere, don't know if you heard, but DCA is getting a replice of Carthay Circle Theater, which already exists in MGM, as its centerpiece. So long hubcap!

Here's the building...

csplash20.jpg

Here's a better angle..

csplash21.jpg

And here's the building connected to that building, making one big old store.

csplash22.jpg

Hmm, looks like DCA is going up in the world..

Back to Epcot for some random shots of SSE:

csplash24.jpg

csplash25.jpg

csplash27.jpg

And they left the mirror-column door open to the elevator, but i saw nothing..

csplash26.jpg

AK pics in moments.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So, i'm very excited! To me that's proof they intend to change SSE's color. If it was static color, they'd gel (add a color filter) a light or buy one with limited color range. 16.7 million colors? They plan on using that.

That is quite a bold statement! I wouldn't say its proof. For all we know Disney have a huge batch of that type of light, and they are just using those as standard now for new projects to give them the capability to do anything they need in the future, whether that is changing SE colors or not. We'll find out soon enough though, but until then though, everyone just remember it MAY not happen. The way some of you are talking here, it's like we have just seen concept art of the finished product! ;)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
csplash15.jpg

All this talk of Yeti's, and I found a new best friend!

csplash16.jpg

I shall call him Yeti, and he shall be mine!

Off to Contemporary.. for this swoosh thingy..

csplash28.jpg

and this swoosh thingy..

csplash29.jpg

And some really neat shelving units!

csplash31.jpg

I like the glass..

csplash32.jpg

And here's the construction, including the "not an elevated walkway to DVC"

csplash30.jpg

And i think that's it.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
That is quite a bold statement! I wouldn't say its proof. For all we know Disney have a huge batch of that type of light, and they are just using those as standard now for new projects to give them the capability to do anything they need in the future, whether that is changing SE colors or not. We'll find out soon enough though, but until then though, everyone just remember it MAY not happen. The way some of you are talking here, it's like we have just seen concept art of the finished product! ;)

Why does the lounge change colors then?

ETA: Those are not what anyone in the business would consider a standard light for any application.

wdwishes2005

I'm not sure if they'd quite have the throw for lighting the sphere of SSE. Would be pretty cool, but judging from the sample installation pictures like this
RadioShack10_LG.jpg

I'm inclined to agree with the low levels of the building/supports theory.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Why does the lounge change colors then?

ETA: Those are not what anyone in the business would consider a standard light for any application.

Disney are sticking in LED lighting everywhere now on new projects from what I have seen. It would make sense to add high color versions for flexibility. I just dont see how some high spec uplighters is proof that SE is going to change colors. I personally have no information as to whether it will or wont, but I just think people need to not jump to conclusions - that usually just leads to dissapointment later down the line.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
A real quick reference too.. for the "standard" light in question..

It costs $6,795.95 to buy six of them in a set.

Who in their right mind would light palm trees in white light with $1000+ lights? For that matter, two per palm tree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom