SSE will color change! (Updates too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaisleyMF

I will love to the this light around but after looking closer, this doesn't look permanent. (Sorry MouseMerf for using your pict without asking first)

ColorBlaster.jpg

Dont get me wrong I love to see this light permanent or the ColorBlast (other brand). But this are not attached. I would love to see and create some mood changing on the area. Also i would love to see some Showgun to light up SSE too. So let's wish it will.

BTW this are the High End Systems Showgun

Matpez

Thanks, Merf! I see the much larger plan you see... lets just hope we all get to see it soon :)

Am I the only one who goes a tad crazy that there is no Yeti merch. with the brown colored Yeti like in the actual attraction? Call me crazy but I want a brown Yeti plush dang it!

I think the point is supposed to be that the Yeti is a legend only, so anything modeled to look like him wouldn't be exact, but rather made up from witness accounts, which would be somewhat inaccurate (and up to whoever created the specific items).

:wave:

PhilharMagician

Merf, Thanks for the updates.

Yak and Yetti details are looking great. I am not sure I like that blue color on the buildiings yet. :rolleyes:

Merf, did you see what was going on street level in front of Toy Story Mania? With the glass going in and the facade now looking near completetion I was wondering if they have paved the walkway yet. They should be opening that area up soon.

Dsnyguy75

Merf:

You're close to being correct. Disney has asked for quotes for CK and other LED lighting that might change the color of the ball. The company that I work for during the day has done a few overnight tests (shootouts) with different manfacturers and Disney "decision-makers" as to what would work and won't yet. As for what you are beginning to see around property now is this fixture (http://www.pixelpar.com/pixelrange/product_arcc.htm) from Pixel Range. JTE (the manufacturer) was trying to make this an outdoor fixture and Disney has been "beta testing" it for them. Right now there are quite a few at MK, PI, and MGM (DHS). But you are right in the fact that disney is moving to LED fixtures at a rapid pace. As for what they cost, I'll laugh as I say this... DISNEY NEVER PAYS ANYTHING CLOSE TO RETAIL!!!! (if you all only knew how they do business on the backside....)

CrashNet

We'll all see soon enough...not too long before SSE reopens its doors.

LED lighting is certainly the wave of the future though. The initial upfront cost pays for itself many times over in energy costs. It's certianly possible they will use rotating colors. They may also just be using the fixture because its the best one for the purpose. Further, they may also utilize them to change their colors depending on the season (holidays, etc.)

I do believe there are LED lighting fixtures similar to those that are powerful enough to light SSE. Keep a watchful eye out to see if they start making changes to the lighting system SSE itself. I do know all of the old lighting for the color changes is still up there, just not used.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just a reminder...

Many moons ago:

Merf: Wand is coming down.
Peeps: n0 way3z! We pwn you stupid-face!

*later*

Merf: Oh look, the wand is down..
Peeps: *crickets*

Just a reminder...

hmmm I dont think that was quite the case. I seem to remember about a 100 threads per day discussing the removal of the wand, it was FAR from being *crickets*. You seem to have a somewhat distorted view of things.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Who gives a hoot what is changeing color on SSE the point is something will be changeing color. Thanks Merf for more great pictures.

No you seem to be missing the point that I an others have been saying. This is not remotely proof that anything is changing color. Just because a light has appeared that is multi-color capable, does not means its going to be used as that.

PKD

Hey kids, back from Epcot and the other parks.

I came home tired, cranky, sweaty, and a lil bummed out. Nothing is really happening in the parks... Well.. except one photo..

I took a photo of the backside of a light in the plater at SSE not thinking much of it or even considering what i was taking a photo of.. I was jsut interested in the light cuz it looked cool.

It's a Color Kinetics C-Splash 2.

They're all along the planters around SSE pointing at the palm trees.

For everyone going "Wha..?" and why that's important.. That light is capable of being any one of 16.7 million colors. It's very expensive and is not a simple "uplight" for highlighting trees with white light. The planters has perfectly functional lights like those before.

So, i'm very excited! To me that's proof they intend to change SSE's color. If it was static color, they'd gel (add a color filter) a light or buy one with limited color range. 16.7 million colors? They plan on using that.

Happy merf! *bounces* I got some other photos and such coming up too, wait around and they'll be up shortly :)

Before i forget, linky to the light's page:

http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/csplash2/

Glad you found the fixtures Merf. You will see many of them in the area. The C-SPlash 2 is designed mainly for fountain & underwater use. Due to the design, it is not made to throw light extreamly far so SSE won't be fully illuminated with these fixtures alone.

Anyone trying to find the fixtures will notice them easily as they are a bronze color and HEAVY as H*LL for such a little guy.

Chape19714

I don't doubt that SSE will color change, but I'm not sure those exact fixtures will be used, possibly for the lower parts, but I doubt they have the throw required for the higher points. I could be wrong, but I think at that far of a throw the colors will look faded, and not "true". I expect similar fixtures for some parts (the support columns, building walls), but as for the sphere, I think we're going to see some bigger equipment coming into play. Not to argue, just my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Merf, Thanks for the updates.

Yak and Yetti details are looking great. I am not sure I like that blue color on the buildiings yet. :rolleyes:

Merf, did you see what was going on street level in front of Toy Story Mania? With the glass going in and the facade now looking near completetion I was wondering if they have paved the walkway yet. They should be opening that area up soon.
As of last week, Mickey Av was still a mess. Side note; I took this Monday the 8th. The glass is being installed really fast.

**Martin gets huge pleasure in being able to give a few photographic updates for a change!!**

Attachments

• IMG_3243web.jpg
    IMG_3243web.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 99

PKD

After all the hubbub made about the benefits of showcasing Sylvania lighting, it seems really, really odd for them to have gone with Philips. Any ideas why?

Color Kinetics is the leader and the patent holder for all LED control. Philips, trying to advance their market hold just recently bought Color Kinetics. This took place earlier this year.

On a side note, for anyone trying to imagine what the possibilities could be for SSE, just take a look at Main Street during the Not So Scary Party......Main Street "comes to life" in lights & Color synced to the BGM that is being played. This will give you a darn good idea what .... just might happen to SSE :D

PKD

As of last week, Mickey Av was still a mess. Side note; I took this Monday the 8th. The glass is being installed really fast.

**Martin gets huge pleasure in being able to give a few photographic updates for a change!!**

MGM's Pixar Emeryville is still on track as of now. Should look really good

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

:sohappy: Nice work :)

PKD

Never said they were for the spjhere, did i? If you hop off your high horse, you'll notice that there's no good reason to light the trees in 16.7 million colors unless they intend to also light the building.

Merf, he is correct that these fixtures are not made to light such a large structure.

If you think lighting trees w/16.7 million color fixtures isn't worth it, then you might want to let WDI know. They already are using LED fixtures all throughout the parks on trees, buildings, statues and more.

PKD

A real quick reference too.. for the "standard" light in question..

It costs $6,795.95 to buy six of them in a set.

Who in their right mind would light palm trees in white light with $1000+ lights? For that matter, two per palm tree!

Disney would!!

Does Disney ever pay MSRP for anything?

ToTBellHop

If you shine lights up at trees, would I be wrong in assuming at least SOME of that light would end up hitting the bottom of Spaceship Earth? Therefore, I would imagine that whatever they decide to shine on the trees will match up with whatever they shine on Spaceship Earth. I would also imagine that any installed LEDs to light the geosphere are somewhat more hidden from guests than these ones (and judging from what they are about to do with the Empire State Building lighting--which Color Kinetics is competing to complete--I'm pretty optimistic).

PKD

At 25 watts a pop these guys will be tree lighting. However I would find it very strange for them to install these and not utilize their full potential. It would be a waste of a very impressive light system.

Don't let the low watts mislead you. These guys are very bright and can throw a nice wash. They just are not as strong as the lights you see on Main Street for MNSSHP. Dsnyguy75 is correct that a lot of the LED lights you see on property are the Arc C from Pixel Range based out of Tenn.

PhilharMagician

:lol:

You have only been able to give us pic updates every 5 - 7 years. :eek: That has got to change.:wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
hmmm I dont think that was quite the case. I seem to remember about a 100 threads per day discussing the removal of the wand, it was FAR from being *crickets*. You seem to have a somewhat distorted view of things.

Steve, the point was that when people were proven wrong, they never recanted nor apologized.

If you dont want me to post to your site, feel free to tell me. If not, I do request some courtesy though to not blatantly dismiss what i say.

If you don't know the answer, don't suppose that I don't.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Steve, the point was that when people were proven wrong, they never recanted nor apologized.

If you dont want me to post to your site, feel free to tell me. If not, I do request some courtesy though to not blatantly dismiss what i say.

If you don't know the answer, don't suppose that I don't.

What you are saying is not being dismissed. It is an interesting find.
However, the whole point of what I have been saying in this thread is that you are giving the impression that Spaceship Earth is going to receive a whole color change package, all based on a multi-color LED light in a planter. A lot of members often just take a few words from posts, dont read the whole thing, and come away with a very distorted view of what is happening. This thread will be interpreted by many as being "Spaceship Earth is going to be a multi color light changing spectacular each night". IF (notice I say IF) this does not happen, people will then be dissapointed and will start complaining that Disney cut budgets etc etc. They will lose sight that all of this originated in a forum where a multi-color LED was spotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom