SSE will color change! (Updates too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
A real quick reference too.. for the "standard" light in question..

It costs $6,795.95 to buy six of them in a set.

Who in their right mind would light palm trees in white light with $1000+ lights? For that matter, two per palm tree!

$6000 is peanuts for Disney. Also remember that they arent paying anywhere near retail (or whatever pricing you have there). Disney have all kinds of volume/trial/special arrangements with all kinds of suppliers.

Merf I am not trying to argue with you, just trying to let people know that this may OR MAY NOT actually happen. Your thread title of "SSE will color change! (Updates too!)" all based around a very nice high color LED light set is just a bit of a stretch. It's a possible hint, but nowhere near proof. Either way, it's very nice to see Disney using some new high tech lights around Spaceship Earth.

DBF John

I just recently (10/12) saw a simular fixture lighting up MainStreet and Town Square during MNSSHP, and spoted some on Parade Floats. These are very coool and are come on in the lighting industry very strong. And I did see these very fixtures my self while we were there for the weekend, I think it would work quit well if they plan on rotating colors on the the plam trees along the walkway there, it would go along with the plastic neon along the planters in Innoventions Plaza.

Figment82

I saw those lights today - they look really nifty. I meant to check them out after dark to see if they were in use yet, but I completely forgot.

Thelazer

There could be a few reasons.

1. Testing out new fixtures (this is rather common)
2. Big push into LED for energy saveing (also rather common)
3. Tree's changeing color without the the ball changing color.
4. Tree's and Ball changing color.

What we have not seen yet is any new fixtures installed on the roofs that would allow for the ball to change color. That work, should be going on already if it was going to happen. So this might be a step in the right direction, but it's not time to get everyones hopes up yet.

Remember, the backside of the building (wall behind the logo planter) has had color changing fixtures on it for quite some time now (sadly it's fant enough that you can't tell it's changing color half the time.)

Besides, honestly do we really need a color changing spaceship earth? I mean, for so long we wanted to get rid of the tacky wand!
Just put the lighting back to it's dark blue/yellow scheme and let it stand on it's on. No gimmicky wand or LED's needed.

Jay

jmvd20

Shopping centers are installing similar lights now, seeing these at WDW in flower beds isn't surprising. When you include the transformers, control packs, and wiring the pricing is not out of the ordinary.

I will however say that the contractor (or Disney) that installed them did not pay nearly that much for them. I would bet close to half of the 6K figure is more like it.

At 25 watts a pop these guys will be tree lighting. However I would find it very strange for them to install these and not utilize their full potential. It would be a waste of a very impressive light system.

tn1999

Disney are sticking in LED lighting everywhere now on new projects from what I have seen. It would make sense to add high color versions for flexibility. I just dont see how some high spec uplighters is proof that SE is going to change colors. I personally have no information as to whether it will or wont, but I just think people need to not jump to conclusions - that usually just leads to dissapointment later down the line.

Disney is definetly all about LEDs. There was a write-up about it in the Environmentality report before christmas last year. I remember it was then because I went around propert checking out all the new LED x-mas lights, including the Grand Floridian's tree and all the x-mas lights at the Marketplace. For Disney, using LEDs is mostly about money, as it costs less to run them per wattage (LEDs also produce more light per diode), and it cost less to service them (LEDs last years before they burn out). But of course, Environmentality comes into play also. So the $6,000 cost for a set of six is well worth it in Disney's eyes.

I am also noticing that Disney isnt necessarilly going around and replacing all lights with LEDs, but whenever a new project comes up, you can pretty much expect LEDs to be used. However, they did replace the stage lighting in the Comedy Warehouse with LEDs, but the newly installed string lights that hang from building to building throughout Pleasure Island are NOT LEDs.. I dont know what their reasoning for this was..

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just a reminder...

Many moons ago:

Merf: Wand is coming down.
Peeps: n0 way3z! We pwn you stupid-face!

*later*

Merf: Oh look, the wand is down..
Peeps: *crickets*

Just a reminder...

Captain Hank

Just a reminder...

Many moons ago:

Merf: Wand is coming down.
Peeps: n0 way3z! We pwn you stupid-face!

*later*

Merf: Oh look, the wand is down..
Peeps: *crickets*

Just a reminder...
I don't think anyone is doubting that this is very strong evidence that SSE will have a color-changing lighting package installed. However, until we see the permits filed for a full-scale system, this is strong evidence and nothing more. We don't know for sure yet.

jmvd20

In reality the person who first stated the correct news of the wand coming down was from another site altogether. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Okie, here's the famous light:

csplash02.jpg

And the all-important backside of the light..

csplash03.jpg

Personally, I would just have really loved to have seen the looks on peoples faces walking by as he took these two photos :lookaroun

It'll happen... one day I'll be walking around Epcot and see a strange man in the bushes taking a picture of a light fixture and I'll know exactly who it is :D

wannab@dis

That is quite a bold statement! I wouldn't say its proof. For all we know Disney have a huge batch of that type of light, and they are just using those as standard now for new projects to give them the capability to do anything they need in the future, whether that is changing SE colors or not. We'll find out soon enough though, but until then though, everyone just remember it MAY not happen. The way some of you are talking here, it's like we have just seen concept art of the finished product! ;)
I believe you are correct here since these fixtures appear to be very low output. In fact, according to the specs for that fixture, it shows 300 lumens as the output. That's less than half the output of a 60watt light bulb. Even if that measure is for just one of the 18 LEDs in the fixture, that's still only the equivalent of 9 bulbs. Many bathroom fixtures have 6 to 9 bulbs in them!

Of course, I could be totally reading those specs wrong, but I don't think so. The footcandles at 15 feet is only 29 for full white and about 5 for blue. That's very little lighting power. That leads me to believe these fixtures are specifically for the trees (or low level 'mood' lighting) only.

clarkstallings

Yeah, these lights are definitely not proof of a color changing system. I believe that LED fixtures bright enough to light SSE are still a few years away. LEDs get better everyday, but they're not perfect yet, and quite frankly, the light they produce, isn't as pretty as most conventional lamps. LED is promising, but still has work.

Disney_Freak429

Who gives a hoot what is changeing color on SSE the point is something will be changeing color. Thanks Merf for more great pictures. Yak & Yeti is looking great & I am sure I will be eating lunch there on AK10.("Ten Years of Wild Adventure" who likes my slogan for it lol?) Am I the only one who goes a tad crazy that there is no Yeti merch. with the brown colored Yeti like in the actual attraction? Call me crazy but I want a brown Yeti plush dang it!

sillykid

Thank you again Merf. You will prove yourself right in time. These lights will probably cast light on the building, but we will get our color chaging sphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom