SSE closed until Feb 18th!

doop

Hmm, this doesn't really affect me, but hopefully they use the extra time and make it even more special!

EpcotMark

:lookaroun

day_after_tomorrow.jpg

I love this! :lol::lol::lol::D:lol::lol::lol:

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I strongly beleive that this will indeed be the case......

SSE will be so totally mind blowing once it re-opens...i truly beleive that. The theming of the post-show area impressed me when i first visited it a few weeks ago, and it left me feeling as though SSE was in very good hands. SEIMENS has already proven to me beyond a doubt that it respects and values SSE for the grand attraction that it is. Removing the "Wand" was only one of many excellent improvements that i have seen to date.

I am actually happy to hear the re-opening has been delayed. Now there is a better chance of me actually considering being a part of the Re-Opening Party.

:animwink:

Yay :sohappy:

:animwink:

CThaddeus

Yes...BUT! :lol: I haven't visited the new post-show yet because I wanted to wait and ride the new ride at the re-opening and experience the post-show after seeing the new SSE...

So I am really whiny right now about the re-opening being pushed back. I don't know how long I can avoid the post-show waiting for the whole thing to re-open. :lookaroun I know there are medications I can take to make this time easier on me..... :D

Just a warning: if you have any plans to come to Disneyland before SSE reopens (though you probably don't), avoid the upstairs portion of Innoventions (oh, wait. That's all that is open right now!). You'll see the entire post-show here; that's how I first saw it. It's on a slightly smaller scale, with no projections of star fields overhead, but it has all the same displays. It's even called Project: Tomorrow. Not terribly original of them, but it was nice to have a "piece" of Spaceship Earth in Disneyland. Now if I could just get them to build Spaceship Earth along with the rest of the California Adventure construction...

EPCOT.nut

Just a warning: if you have any plans to come to Disneyland before SSE reopens (though you probably don't), avoid the upstairs portion of Innoventions (oh, wait. That's all that is open right now!). You'll see the entire post-show here; that's how I first saw it. It's on a slightly smaller scale, with no projections of star fields overhead, but it has all the same displays. It's even called Project: Tomorrow. Not terribly original of them, but it was nice to have a "piece" of Spaceship Earth in Disneyland. Now if I could just get them to build Spaceship Earth along with the rest of the California Adventure construction...

That is interesting! No, I won't be going to Disneyland any time soon. I really would like to go and it sounds like a trip for me and my sister, but I've got to really save up some cash for that! And WDW likes my cash too much right now! :lol:

brkgnews

I am in the construction business as well and I would tend to agree with jmvd20's assessment. You don't nearly double your construction time unless someone makes a huge mistake or something very major that was originally assessed as fine turns out to be not so fine.

The refurb on SSE is essentially like a house remodel. You might plan to repaint, replace the windows, re-do the kitchen and replace the roof but you would not decide to add on a second story on just a whim.

True. But then again, Master Yoda... you know the most expensive phrase in the construction industry... "while you guys are at it, why don't you..."

They found a "sinkhole".:lookaroun

New Horizons for you and for me.... :lookaroun

Scary prospect; hilarious execution. :lol:

Latest word I'm getting is that the mid-November date never really had a chance. Thanksgiving wasn't likely. Christmas a long shot. January kinda possible. February-March a good target.

Quote:
"We told them it wouldn't be ready, but they put that date out there anyway. Now we look like the bad guys. Honestly, when it opens you will see why it took so long."

Not surprised in the least.

day_after_tomorrow.jpg

Well played, Captain Hank. Well played. *golf clap*

Enigma

Account Suspended
For the record when the ride was redone in 1994 how many months was it closed for?

I am happy that they extended the refurb now hopefully it will be extremly impressive and an extensive upgrade with AA's, new special effects, and an overall feeling of newness to the classic attraction. Hopefully some classic elements will return (Tommorow's Child theme, astronauts on space station)

the-reason14

Wow, it sounds like they are changing the whole thing. Are they actually removing most of or some of the scenes, or could they be just upgrading the AA technology? I hope its good yes, but I hope its not like a completely different ride.

Scar Junior

Latest word I'm getting is that the mid-November date never really had a chance. Thanksgiving wasn't likely. Christmas a long shot. January kinda possible. February-March a good target.

Quote:
"We told them it wouldn't be ready, but they put that date out there anyway. Now we look like the bad guys. Honestly, when it opens you will see why it took so long."

Thanks for the update, Lee. That better explains things.

day_after_tomorrow.jpg

Ha! Wow, very well done! :wave:

For the record when the ride was redone in 1994 how many months was it closed for?

I am happy that they extended the refurb now hopefully it will be extremly impressive and an extensive upgrade with AA's, new special effects, and an overall feeling of newness to the classic attraction. Hopefully some classic elements will return (Tommorow's Child theme, astronauts on space station)

1. Good question.

2. I completely agree.

AEfx

I just can't buy the whole "they wanted to make it extra special!" argument. I think that's the Kool-Aid talkin'.

There must be a VERY good reason for this. SSE is one of the fastest loading, highest capacity rides at WDW - and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it's the #1 attended ride at Epcot. It's going to be a nightmare for CM's dealing with people over the Holiday season - not that the suits really care what the FOTL folks have to deal with, but it's going to be a heck of a lot more than the "crazy Disney fans" complaining.

My issue is that they waited this long to change the rehab dates. There is no way in hell that they just figured out it wasn't going to be open until Feb, and they wait until three weeks before to say, "down for another 3 months?" My guess is the additions will be exactly what we've been expecting, and much of the extra work being done won't actually be visible to guests (i.e. infrastructure). That's the only way I can see them closing SSE during such a busy season.

AEfx

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster

According to the wikipedia, Aug 15 - Nov 23, 1994.

Lee

Adventurer
My issue is that they waited this long to change the rehab dates. There is no way in hell that they just figured out it wasn't going to be open until Feb, and they wait until three weeks before to say, "down for another 3 months?"

Say "thank you" to Park Ops, or whoever it was that put that date out there.
:rolleyes:
WDI, from what I'm told, never promised anything for November. None of my contacts have mentioned anything going wrong, just that it's taken a long tome to do all that they are doing. Let's face it, they're laying hands on every scene, replacing some, adding some, adding the interactive element....lots of stuff, requiring lots of time.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
WDI, from what I'm told, never promised anything for November. None of my contacts have mentioned anything going wrong, just that it's taken a long tome to do all that they are doing. Let's face it, they're laying hands on every scene, replacing some, adding some, adding the interactive element....lots of stuff, requiring lots of time.

That seems to be the latest popular theory - ops got the dates wrong, for whatever reasons, with WDI never intending to be done prior to early early '08.

They never intended to open it unfinished like HM though. *shrug*

Other news.. There are apparently two entirely new show scenes aside from the descent. That might explain the "civil war" references in casting calls.

Expo_Seeker40

No there are three new show scenes before the descent.

The three scenes will replace the one large scene of the boy and girl conversing over the internet. Though the scenes will be brand new, it will be a revival of the three original show scenes that were in that same spot that also depicted the computer.

The civil war scene is nothing more than the newspaper boy announcing the civil war. It will still be the hustle and bustle of a city in the 1800s working its way into the early 1900s with the advent of motion picture film and finally in the home of the 50s and 60s with television.

The only other scenes that may get heavily redone are the ascending entrance tunnel, and possibly some revival of the space station scene in the planeterium.....that though has been speculation.

Other than that, the entire descent of the ride has been stripped apart, the false ceiling removed...the original floor to ceiling show space open, and eventually the new technology for the ending to be put into that space.

bigm

D'oh!

Oh man... Planned the trip around holidays and everything so everything was pretty much open. Timed it good. It was going to open 2 days after we arrive there. Was looking so forward to seeing what they changed. That is a big change now and means they must be really behind, or that you choose your future and what happens thing didn't go as well as they planned and need to work out alot more bugs... Well, that is one ride off my check list.... :brick:

AEfx

Well then it's park ops, LOL. Point is, someone at Disney dropped the ball on this one, one way or another. And they are sure going to hear about it, I'm sure. And not just from fans like us that go to sites like this. There are lots of people out there who maybe don't frequent boards like this as we do, but know enough to check online at the Disney calendar for closures and such. Rehabs happen, closures happen, but when you have one planned like this that is all of a sudden doubled in length it's almost worse that it was a "communication error" if that is truly what happened. That means it wasn't unexpected, and they just didn't want people to know the park icon would be down for the busy season.

Since you have to plan everything six months out at this point, there are going to be a lot of people wondering why this has changed at the relatively "last minute" - three weeks before the end of a 4-month rehab. No matter how you slice it, it looks bad for Disney as a whole, no matter who was internally responsible for it. I wouldn't want to be one of the CM's who has to stand in front of SSE during Christmas and tell people it's not open.

AEfx

Spyne

Well, let's try to look at this with a positive perspective. They're making sure it'll be good and not just something like a quick-fix. I'm keeping positive about it.

Scar Junior

No matter how you slice it, it looks bad for Disney as a whole, no matter who was internally responsible for it. I wouldn't want to be one of the CM's who has to stand in front of SSE during Christmas and tell people it's not open.

AEfx
True. The frontline cast members might catch some heat from guests. But I think you're looking too much into this. I'd bet the decision makers aren't losing too much sleep over it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom