SPOILERS: Book of Boba Fett - Latest episodes

sedati

You know that Dave and Jon are legitimizing all the Star Wars stuff that some fans hate, right?

E.g., the cloning arc in The Bad Batch to make Palpatine's cloning a well established part of the canon rather than a bewildering plot point of Rise of Skywalker.

Everything they touch includes references to just about everything else ever done in Star Wars in an almost manic drive to be constantly referential.

I wonder if they could even legitimize mitochlorians.
I'm confused by your use of the word "legitimate." Elevate and expand upon, sure, but if it's in the canon it's legit.

Just gave it a second watch and as usual my opinion was much higher than the first. I'm reminded how there are albums that are my favorite that on first listen didn't grab me at all. Anyway, some random observations:
-I'm assuming the Major Domo works for Boba now.
-The warrior Tusken may have gotten away (I hope.)
-The scene on Kamino that has now become a full shot- wondering if there's going to be more or is this just Boba missing Jango?
-There's still a four to five year gap to fill between Boba's funeral for the Tuskens and him rescuing Fennick.
-In the Mandalorian we find that Boba didn't need to be told Cobb Vanth had his armor, he already knew.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm confused by your use of the word "legitimate." Elevate and expand upon, sure, but if it's in the canon it's legit.

Just gave it a second watch and as usual my opinion was much higher than the first. I'm reminded how there are albums that are my favorite that on first listen didn't grab me at all. Anyway, some random observations:
-I'm assuming the Major Domo works for Boba now.
-The warrior Tusken may have gotten away (I hope.)
-The scene on Kamino that has now become a full shot- wondering if there's going to be more or is this just Boba missing Jango?
-There's still a four to five year gap to fill between Boba's funeral for the Tuskens and him rescuing Fennick.
-In the Mandalorian we find that Boba didn't need to be told Cobb Vanth had his armor, he already knew.
He’s just saying that the F&F stuff is “supporting” the awfulness of the gawd awful DT….that somehow it’s a way of the Kennedy stuff “sucking less”

a doppelgänger for how many to this day still defend Lucas and McCallum for making bad prequels.

the record is what it is…it can stand on its own.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
He’s just saying that the F&F stuff is “supporting” the awfulness of the gawd awful DT….that somehow it’s a way of the Kennedy stuff “sucking less”

a doppelgänger for how many to this day still defend Lucas and McCallum for making bad prequels.

the record is what it is…it can stand on its own.
Point is that the heroes of LucasFilm, Dave and Jon, aren't running away and ignoring the messy stuff. They're creating a web of plot lines and references that cement and smooth over the gaps and rough parts.

Remember the fan theory craze that the entire sequel trilogy was going to be declared uncanonical and re-done?

Again, Dave and Jon, who seemingly can do no wrong in the eyes of the Fandom Menace, are solidifying what has gone before and they'll be no retcon and no "that never happened" -- except maybe with mitochlorians.

And I know you'll just repost again, that that shows there were indeed bad parts. I'm not arguing there wasn't.

I'm making the point that any hope those supposed bad points will be ignored should be quashed. The next generation of SW fans will be able to take in the Dave and Jon embrace of the entirety of the canon and not be so perturbed by what others are angry about.

Old SW Fan: Palpatine's clone came out of nowhere!

Youngling SW Fan: It was a natural result of the original cloning program he ordered and what we saw in the prequels and the Mandalorian and the Bad Batch. Calm down, Boomer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That race scene was pretty cringe worthy. I don't know what they were going for there... "high speed chase" character elements overlaid on what looks like a high speed jog setting? Seemed like things were getting hit before the vehicle even got there.. it was just so freaking goofy.

The show is a solid B so far.. could get really good when the pieces start accelerating towards each other for the climax.

Wendy Pleakley

You know that Dave and Jon are legitimizing all the Star Wars stuff that some fans hate, right?

E.g., the cloning arc in The Bad Batch to make Palpatine's cloning a well established part of the canon rather than a bewildering plot point of Rise of Skywalker.

Everything they touch includes references to just about everything else ever done in Star Wars in an almost manic drive to be constantly referential.

I wonder if they could even legitimize mitochlorians.

They also made us understand why the Rancor keepers in Jedi were so upset. It's not just a big dumb monster.

Those colourful bikes were such an odd choice. They really felt like a real world design finding its' way into Star Wars and it did not work for me. The chase scene felt slow and off as well.

The actor playing the Mayor's aide is fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That race scene was pretty cringe worthy. I don't know what they were going for there... "high speed chase" character elements overlaid on what looks like a high speed jog setting? Seemed like things were getting hit before the vehicle even got there.. it was just so freaking goofy.

The show is a solid B so far.. could get really good when the pieces start accelerating towards each other for the climax.
I had a similar opinion. You can only go so fast on short narrow streets and I think the scene somewhat accurately depicted that,
a "high-speed chase" with such restrictions was just a bad story choice. A chase on foot similar to the one we saw in episode 1 of the show would have looked much better.

As to the bikes, I think I know the inspiration for them.

ewmr8wgo90y21.jpg

JAB

Point is that the heroes of LucasFilm, Dave and Jon, aren't running away and ignoring the messy stuff. They're creating a web of plot lines and references that cement and smooth over the gaps and rough parts.

Remember the fan theory craze that the entire sequel trilogy was going to be declared uncanonical and re-done?

Again, Dave and Jon, who seemingly can do no wrong in the eyes of the Fandom Menace, are solidifying what has gone before and they'll be no retcon and no "that never happened" -- except maybe with mitochlorians.

And I know you'll just repost again, that that shows there were indeed bad parts. I'm not arguing there wasn't.

I'm making the point that any hope those supposed bad points will be ignored should be quashed. The next generation of SW fans will be able to take in the Dave and Jon embrace of the entirety of the canon and not be so perturbed by what others are angry about.

Youngling SW Fan: It was a natural result of the original cloning program he ordered and what we saw in the prequels and the Mandalorian and the Bad Batch. Calm down, Boomer.
The whole "clone Palpatine" idea idea actually predates Rise of Skywalker by almost 30 years. It was a major element of the semi-canon sequel book trilogy by Timothy Zahn (during the era of "it's canon unless George decides it isn't"), and a few now explicitly canon things have come from those books - the name of the planet Coruscant, Admiral Thrawn, etc. - so it wouldn't be the first time that they've borrowed elements of those novels. 🤓

Getting back to Boba, though... I've liked the previous two episodes, and I didn't think this one was terrible, but I wasn't a fan of the "angry kid biker gang." And don't get me started on the shiny, brightly-colored speeders. How would it be possible to keep them that clean and shiny on a planet that's nothing but sand? It goes against the whole aesthetic of Tatooine, and made them jarringly contrast with everything else in the scene. I suppose that makes them easier to follow in the chase scene, but it just didn't look right to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I had a similar opinion. You can only go so fast on short narrow streets and I think the scene somewhat accurately depicted that,
a "high-speed chase" with such restrictions was just a bad story choice. A chase on foot similar to the one we saw in episode 1 of the show would have looked much better.

As to the bikes, I think I know the inspiration for them.

ewmr8wgo90y21.jpg
I think back to the chase scene in solo..

It just seemed like they kitbashed completely different scenes together. The performances didn't match the full shots at all. I mean, it was so blaringly disconnected its like it was intentional.. but I can't figure out for what.

It doesn't feel 'unlimited budget'...

Wendy Pleakley

The whole "clone Palpatine" idea idea actually predates Rise of Skywalker by almost 30 years. It was a major element of the semi-canon sequel book trilogy by Timothy Zahn (during the era of "it's canon unless George decides it isn't"), and a few now explicitly canon things have come from those books - the name of the planet Coruscant, Admiral Thrawn, etc. - so it wouldn't be the first time that they've borrowed elements of those novels. 🤓

The return of Palpatine was also done in the Star Wars Dark Empire comics that came out around the same time as the first Zahn trilogy.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm really enjoying this show, there are minor nitpicks like the colorful bikes that felt a bit out of place, but overall it's set up for the next 4 episodes to be very rewarding.

The return of Palpatine was also done in the Star Wars Dark Empire comics that came out around the same time as the first Zahn trilogy.
Dark Empire was also a comic that showed Boba Fett escaping the Sarlacc

The idea of Palpatine being cloned had been around for many years, for me at least it was the abrupt reveal of "somehow Palpatine returned" that was the turnoff in Rise of Skywalker.

JAB

I think back to the chase scene in solo..

It just seemed like they kitbashed completely different scenes together. The performances didn't match the full shots at all. I mean, it was so blaringly disconnected its like it was intentional.. but I can't figure out for what.

It doesn't feel 'unlimited budget'...
It felt like another intentional homage to classic adventure movies, and in the first couple episodes I enjoyed spotting those, but now it feels like they're leaning into it a bit too hard and it's starting to become distracting.

JAB

IIRC, the Dark Empire comics were a supplemental follow-up companion series that tied in directly to the Zahn novels.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm really enjoying this show, there are minor nitpicks like the colorful bikes that felt a bit out of place, but overall it's set up for the next 4 episodes to be very rewarding.

The idea of Palpatine being cloned had been around for many years, for me at least it was the abrupt reveal of "somehow Palpatine returned" that was the turnoff in Rise of Skywalker.

I was going to come back and say that Fett returning happened in that comic as well.

I'm glad Book of Boba sort of gave us an explanation as to how.

Palpatine returning abruptly I'm okay with. It's a movie series where cloning is a major plot point, and we know people continue to exist after death. We know how he came back via cloning. The movie doesn't really need to hold our hand through it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I think the current count of times Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc in Legends is at around 11.;)

JAB

I think the current count of times Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc in Legends is at around 11.;)
Don't get me wrong; I'm a Boba Fett fan, too, so I get why people like him, but the fact that a minor character that, for all we know, was meant to be killed off in RotJ became such a fan favorite that he's had so many non-canon (and now canon) resurrections, and now has his own show is fascinating. Then again, you never can tell what a fandom will latch onto - take the Purple Wall for example. 😏🟪

Wendy Pleakley

Don't get me wrong; I'm a Boba Fett fan, too, so I get why people like him, but the fact that a minor character that, for all we know, was meant to be killed off in RotJ became such a fan favorite that he's had so many non-canon (and now canon) resurrections, and now has his own show is fascinating. Then again, you never can tell what a fandom will latch onto - take the Purple Wall for example. 😏🟪

The huge Star Wars fanbase combined with a high volume of expanded universe material means a lot of minor characters become super important to a lot of people, to a fault sometimes.

There was so much uproar over Admiral Ackbar's off-screen death, despite the fact he was a minor character, a guy in a fish mask, who had that one iconic line.

Expanding on Boba Fett makes sense, especially since the prequels gave this once minor character a significant backstory.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
The huge Star Wars fanbase combined with a high volume of expanded universe material means a lot of minor characters become super important to a lot of people, to a fault sometimes.

There was so much uproar over Admiral Ackbar's off-screen death, despite the fact he was a minor character, a guy in a fish mask, who had that one iconic line.

Expanding on Boba Fett makes sense, especially since the prequels gave this once minor character a significant backstory.
I have a change.org petition going demanding an Adventures of Young Akbar series for Disney+.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well I agree with a lot of this…bizarrely…

the cloning nonsense started with one of the early EU series…so that wasn’t a Disney hatchling…

I just think the amount of fan deference - and they’re too deferential for sure - to the OT fans by F&F Is kind a direct correlation to how badly it was needed. And it was.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Well that proves my frequent point: they just didn’t understand what they were dealing with…and it wasn’t that hard.

there are 3 “bit” characters that a fan would know not to mess with/do dirty: boba fett, Wedge and Akbar.

much more revered over the time/history of the franchise than the sum of their screen time suggests.

not rocket science.

and not to “go there”…but there was a
Pretty obvious angle on the Akbar decision that was 1000% obvious, unnecessary and tone deaf.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That was really awful…no doubt

I thought they lost the budget for cgi on that or something??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom