SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Some of us don’t want to “let the cards fall” when a pile of mistakes continues to rack up…

…you’ll understand when you get older. 😎👍🏻
I'm already old my friend, more cycles around the sun than OT, which you already knew. But thanks for the condescending jab at my age, as if age has anything to do with this.

erasure fan1

I don’t think she has anything to save her this time to justify an extension, it’s been years since they’ve had a successful SW movie or SW D+ show…
Worse, what has she done for lucasfilm in general? Willow? Indy? Anything?
I’ll be absolutely shocked if she isn’t gone at the end of this contract, whether by her choice or Disneys doesn’t really matter, Star Wars needs a new vision though, hers clearly isn’t connecting with the audience.
I agree with all this 100%. The only thing is, I would not be shocked if she's still around next year. If she has any desire to stay, what would shock me is Iger having an actual spine to say no. I'm not sure why she would want to stay, except for maybe ego or to try to prove the doubters wrong. It's clear Lucasfilm needs new vision. Hopefully it actually happens.

Phroobar

It's amazing how KK has lost her way. She was the producer of much of our childhood movies and a heck of a dancer. However she was never a creative. She was just a manager. It reminds me how senior management at a tech company can never figure out how zoom works.

erasure fan1

It's amazing how KK has lost her way. She was the producer of much of our childhood movies and a heck of a dancer. However she was never a creative. She was just a manager. It reminds me how senior management at a tech company can never figure out how zoom works.
Yup. I'm sure I am considered a Kennedy hater by a lot of people here. I've said many times, she's a hall of fame producer. You can't take any of that away from her. She was part of a big percentage of my favorite movies. But as I've also said, like you, she's not a creative. Not even a little bit. I don't hate her as a person. But I do hate the job she has done for Lucasfilm.

She doesn't understand star wars and that's a pretty big issue for running lucasfilm. Now it's not all her fault. Iger has a lot of blame by not requiring a creative team for star wars to let Kennedy be the business side of things. But he was so hell bent on getting the sequels out asap, road map be damned. And now over a decade later, there's still no overall plan for star wars.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yup. I'm sure I am considered a Kennedy hater by a lot of people here. I've said many times, she's a hall of fame producer. You can't take any of that away from her. She was part of a big percentage of my favorite movies. But as I've also said, like you, she's not a creative. Not even a little bit. I don't hate her as a person. But I do hate the job she has done for Lucasfilm.

She doesn't understand star wars and that's a pretty big issue for running lucasfilm. Now it's not all her fault. Iger has a lot of blame by not requiring a creative team for star wars to let Kennedy be the business side of things. But he was so hell bent on getting the sequels out asap, road map be damned. And now over a decade later, there's still no overall plan for star wars.
…you two are just Haters…obvious results be damned

Wendy Pleakley

This is important to note, and something I said earlier. Disney is not necessarily going to take an approach that results in the best product, they want a steady stream of Star Wars content. Kennedy cannot take all the blame for anyone's dislike of various installments.

I believe they were starting to film The Last Jedi around the time The Force Awakens was released. They didn't take the time to gauge reaction. Lucas claimed not to care about public sentiment, but he wrote Attack of the Clones after The Phantom Menace was released, and that movie had almost no Jar Jar and a better focus on story.

She hired talented people a lot of the time, and smartly jettisoned Colin Treverrow. JJ Abrams made a movie that was clearly popular. Her track record may be mixed, but so was George Lucas's. People still cling to this notion that someone is going to run Star Wars in a way every show and movie is an audience hit.

There's also a lot of extreme assessment. The Acolyte is being painted as a colossal bomb. It got ratings most TV shows would kill for. It was too expensive and didn't connect sufficiently with audiences to continue, but it's being painted as a massive fiasco.

She takes flack for Indy but produced a movie that was far better received than Crystal Skull. It's easy to criticize with hindsight because it didn't do well, but I doubt any movie studio would have passed to make another Indiana Jones movie. It also may have played a part in getting Harrison Ford back to play Han Solo, a move that paid off handsomely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is important to note, and something I said earlier. Disney is not necessarily going to take an approach that results in the best product, they want a steady stream of Star Wars content. Kennedy cannot take all the blame for anyone's dislike of various installments.

I believe they were starting to film The Last Jedi around the time The Force Awakens was released. They didn't take the time to gauge reaction. Lucas claimed not to care about public sentiment, but he wrote Attack of the Clones after The Phantom Menace was released, and that movie had almost no Jar Jar and a better focus on story.

She hired talented people a lot of the time, and smartly jettisoned Colin Treverrow. JJ Abrams made a movie that was clearly popular. Her track record may be mixed, but so was George Lucas's. People still cling to this notion that someone is going to run Star Wars in a way every show and movie is an audience hit.

There's also a lot of extreme assessment. The Acolyte is being painted as a colossal bomb. It got ratings most TV shows would kill for. It was too expensive and didn't connect sufficiently with audiences to continue, but it's being painted as a massive fiasco.

She takes flack for Indy but produced a movie that was far better received than Crystal Skull. It's easy to criticize with hindsight because it didn't do well, but I doubt any movie studio would have passed to make another Indiana Jones movie. It also may have played a part in getting Harrison Ford back to play Han Solo, a move that paid off handsomely.

I blame Kennedy very little

We couldnt have known it 2015…but Star Wars is the victim of a corporate plan that is rotting its way through TWDC like a dead fish.

Why? Legacy for the emperor. That’s all the last 10 years has been. The sense of mortality of a very small man with an ego problem.

It’s that stupid Chinese park…it’s the wholy ineffective wdw “investment program”…it’s the collapse of their legacy linear and streaming launch with ineffective results…and it’s the foundering first of Pixar and then MCU…

Downey is getting a reported $95 mil and backends…the biggest desperation move in Hollywood history

I know i’m a broken record…but the record is playing the right song

There is one all encompassing problem at Disney…Star Wars is evidence of that

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s not a condescending jab…it’s a friendly nudge that shilling for Disney…especially in your 50s…is not a popular look these days. Almost no one does it anymore

But it could comeback in style after new management…and then even I might join you?
It is a condescending jab, and so is this post of yours, please don't tell me or anyone on this site how to be or not be a fan of anything. I don't care if its out of style or unpopular or whatever not to like Disney, its not your job to tell any poster here to do anything. So please keep those opinions to yourself, and stop gatekeeping. You don't own Star Wars, and unless you ever do you have no rights to tell anyone anything on that matter.

lazyboy97o

There’s never been an overall plan for Star Wars. That’s the dirty little secrets fans have long refused to admit to themselves. It continued under Disney because Kennedy didn’t jump into the role of grand creative, and instead ran into the opposite problem of handing off way too much creative control.

erasure fan1

Kennedy cannot take all the blame for anyone's dislike of various installments.
Then she can't take the credit for Mando or Rogue one either. That's a bit silly I think. She's the president of Lucasfilm. She approves the content and the direction of the content for better or for worse.
I believe they were starting to film The Last Jedi around the time The Force Awakens was released. They didn't take the time to gauge reaction.
Yes, I've seen many things saying Rian was in full development of ep8 before 7 was out. And again, I put that on Iger mandating star wars get released asap. Did Kennedy fight it and say that's not a great plan? I have no idea. So I can't really fault her as most do what their bosses tell them.
The Acolyte is being painted as a colossal bomb. It got ratings most TV shows would kill for. It was too expensive and didn't connect sufficiently with audiences to continue, but it's being painted as a massive fiasco.
Scale matters in a case like this. It's a fiasco because it's star wars and cost almost 200mi. There's not many, or any, ips that have the brand recognition of star wars. So of course a lot of shows wouldn't mind that viewership. Of course those other shows aren't spending anywhere close to the Acolyte. Disney bought star wars to dominate. Not limp along to get beat by an antique show. So for that reason it's a fiasco in my book.
She takes flack for Indy but produced a movie that was far better received than Crystal Skull. It's easy to criticize with hindsight because it didn't do well, but I doubt any movie studio would have passed to make another Indiana Jones movie.
Was it though? I'd say they were disliked about equal. What makes hers worse is the fact of, what did she learn? The answer is not a lot. You had a blueprint of what not to do with Indy 4. I keep hearing, but, but, but, George missed to!!! So what? They know what people didn't like, so learn from it. I have zero issues with making another Indy film. And I don't know a lot of people who do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is a condescending jab, and so is this post of yours, please don't tell me or anyone on this site how to be or not be a fan of anything. I don't care if its out of style or unpopular or whatever not to like Disney, its not your job to tell any poster here to do anything. So please keep those opinions to yourself, and stop gatekeeping. You don't own Star Wars, and unless you ever do you have no rights to tell anyone anything on that matter.

Do you want to be the “irresistible force” or the “immovable object”?

I
❤️
Us
😍

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Audience reaction was better on Dial of Destiny than it was on Crystal Skull. I know that doesn't mean much in terms of overall performance, but it does show that audiences were more positive for DoD.
That audience didn’t tell their friends…apparently

That might be the real problem.

Nobody is interacted in anything LFL does

And why?

Bad sequels

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Do you want to be the “irresistible force” or the “immovable object”?
I'm not sure in what context this random stream of consciousness is referring, especially in relation to my post you quoted.

But why is it an either/or question in whatever the context? Also that still has nothing to do with my post. You are not the final arbiter on anything. So again please stop trying to gatekeep not only SW but Disney in general. You do not get to tell me or anyone how to be a fan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That audience didn’t tell their friends…apparently

That might be the real problem.

Nobody is interacted in anything LFL does

And why?
Or its possible the masses didn't want to see an 80+ yr old Indy. The story was done too late in my opinion, should have been done a decade earlier.

Bad sequels
Don't believe that has anything to do with it in this instance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom