SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

Phroobar

It seems a given that they didn't bring in Moss just for an extended cameo.

The central mystery of the show is what these Jedi did and why they're being sought out for revenge. I have to assume they'll flashback to explain all of this at some point.
Very true. It's your basic cliche murder mystery. We need to find out why these specific Jedi are being targeted.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I watched the trailer after the episodes and there definitely seemed to be some flashback scenes that she will be in.

It seems a given that they didn't bring in Moss just for an extended cameo.

The central mystery of the show is what these Jedi did and why they're being sought out for revenge. I have to assume they'll flashback to explain all of this at some point.
Yep, this doesn't appear to be a single cameo situation. Flashback scenes seem like a given at this point. Those that wrote off the show based on an assumption from Ep1 are going to miss out. That is like reading only the first few pages of a book and assuming you know how it going to turn out, you could end up being right but also could be very wrong.

doctornick

I'm curious if the letter "O" in the title card lighting up and spinning is meaningful - like is there going to be a ring or other circular object of some significance? I doubt it and it's probably just for stylistic reasons but just made me wonder.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm curious if the letter "O" in the title card lighting up and spinning is meaningful - like is there going to be a ring or other circular object of some significance? I doubt it and it's probably just for stylistic reasons but just made me wonder.

No one has noticed that because we all use the 'skip credits' button.

To save those valuable three seconds.

DKampy

No one has noticed that because we all use the 'skip credits' button.

To save those valuable three seconds.
I had to laugh cause my wife was going to skip the title card lost track where the Apple TV Remote was for a second and by the time she had it in hand we were back into the program and her comment was “oh”

CinematicFusion

Given that the Jedi in TPM claim Sith have been extinct for a millennium, does this imply that Sith are never discovered in Acolyte? Or maybe the Jedi who uncover the Sith's existence die, and the secret is kept hidden?

CinematicFusion

Acolyte’s first two episodes have their intriguing moments, but it’s weighed down by some issues. Main problem isn’t lack of mystery but rather poor writing, awkward dialogue. Many character interactions feel forced, which takes away from the immersion. Anyone else feel this?

Show does a decent job of providing backstory for Osha and Mae, but other characters don’t get the same treatment… though only 2 episodes in. This lack of development makes it hard to care about them. Additionally, some decisions made by characters seem illogical and questionable. The opening fight scene between Indara and Mae ends in a way that feels inconsistent with Jedi, which pulled me out of the experience.

Show does have some intriguing elements that could keep viewers interested. The key will be whether it can improve on these fronts in the upcoming episodes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The existence of the Sith, if known by the Jedi prior to discovering Palpatine was one, I would guess is a guarded secret to only but a select few on the Jedi council.

Obviously they had to exist in order for Plagueis to pass on his knowledge to Palpatine. How that plays into Acolyte we'll see during the course of the show.

CinematicFusion

The existence of the Sith, if known by the Jedi prior to discovering Palpatine was one, I would guess is a guarded secret to only but a select few on the Jedi council.

Obviously they had to exist in order for Plagueis to pass on his knowledge to Palpatine. How that plays into Acolyte we'll see during the course of the show.
In TPM, Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi states, “The Sith have been extinct for a millennium.” This indicates that the Jedi Council, including Yoda, were unaware of the Sith’s continued existence.. obviously.

It’s possible that any Jedi who did discover the Sith during Acolyte might be killed to maintain this secrecy. The show could explore how the Sith operated in the shadows and eliminated any threats to their concealment. This would explain why the Jedi remained oblivious to the Sith’s activities until much later, as only a select few who stumbled upon the truth might not have lived to reveal it.

This is one of the more interesting angles to the show for me… how they tell the story while keeping the line from TPM relevant.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In canon, the Archives were known to have secret vaults hidden, particularly surrounding the Sith, to all but a select few in the Order, this includes even those on the Jedi Council. So just because that line was uttered in TPM doesn't mean it conflicts with anything they tell in this show and others surrounding the Sith's return prior to TPM and any potential knowledge the Jedi may have of the same.

CinematicFusion

In canon, the Archives were known to have secret vaults hidden, particularly surrounding the Sith, to all but a select few in the Order, this includes even those on the Jedi Council. So just because that line was uttered in TPM doesn't mean it conflicts with anything they tell in this show and others surrounding the Sith's return prior to TPM and any potential knowledge the Jedi may have of the same.
The Jedi would not just conceal information about the Sith and hide it away, especially if the mystery was unresolved. If the Jedi discovered the Sith’s presence, they would take immediate action to address the threat rather than bury the knowledge in the secret archives.

Yoda would have acted decisively upon discovering any Sith activity. No responsible Jedi, least of all Yoda, would ignore such crucial information. The Jedi Council would work together to eliminate any threat posed by the Sith rather than keep it a secret.

The notion that the archives contained secrets about the Sith hidden from even the Jedi Council doesn’t align with their duty to protect the galaxy. If the Sith’s return was known, the Jedi would mobilize to investigate and counteract any threat. Keeping such critical information secret would only undermine the Jedi’s mission.

Two scenarios where this might make sense are:

1. The Jedi who discovered the Sith secret were killed before they could reveal it to the Council.
2. Perhaps a member of the Lost Twenty discovered the Sith’s existence, tossed it into the secret archives, and then left the Order to become a Sith??

Be very interesting how show addresses this, so when you hear that line in TPM, it might have more meaning.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There were vaults only known to Jocasta Nu and Yoda. Jocasta had complete autonomy over the vaults. If a member of the Council, such as Yoda, requested she hide information that was deemed a threat to the Order she certainly would. This is all in canon and touched upon in some of the stories told in the Clone War animated series, and even the PT.

Heck even the EU had established this in a lot of their stories.

CinematicFusion

There were vaults only known to Jocasta Nu and Yoda. Jocasta had complete autonomy over the vaults. If a member of the Council, such as Yoda, requested she hide information that was deemed a threat to the Order she certainly would. This is all in canon and touched upon in some of the stories told in the Clone War animated series, and even the PT.

Heck even the EU had established this in a lot of their stories.
The Jedi Council, including Yoda, operated with high transparency and collective decision-making. Yoda wouldn’t hide critical Sith information without consulting the Council. The idea that Jocasta Nu would independently conceal such information is not supported by canon. The Council’s genuine surprise at Qui-Gon’s encounter with a Sith in The Phantom Menace indicates they had no prior knowledge. In both The Clone Wars series and the prequel trilogy, the Council is shown to be vigilant about threats, making it unlikely they would hide such crucial information.

Let’s see how the show blends the story into that one line… should be fun.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The Jedi Council, including Yoda, operated with high transparency and collective decision-making. Yoda wouldn’t hide critical Sith information without consulting the Council. The idea that Jocasta Nu would independently conceal such information is not supported by canon. The Council’s genuine surprise at Qui-Gon’s encounter with a Sith in The Phantom Menace indicates they had no prior knowledge. In both The Clone Wars series and the prequel trilogy, the Council is shown to be vigilant about threats, making it unlikely they would hide such crucial information.

Let’s see how the show blends the story into that one line… should be fun.
You're making a lot of assumptions based on a single line. A line mind you that as the saying goes, is true based on a certain point of view.

There could be lots of reasons why the Council was surprised by that reveal while still having some within the Order know of the Sith's existence prior to that moment.

Also you're making a lot of assumptions about the Council's vigilance during this High Republic time period. This is the first we're seeing of it in canon. So you can't assume how responsive the Council was during this time period just because of their actions a century later. In fact we get clues that they are more political during this period given the Council trying to keep Mae's actions hidden. So yes its conceivable that if the Sith were known by some in the Order that some would want to keep that hidden as they are the direct enemy of the Jedi. They wouldn't want it know that their natural enemy has returned and can upset the balance of power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom