SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

doctornick

So finally got the time to watch it tonight. Seemed enjoyable enough. Don’t know if I care for the twin aspect but I’m willing to see it play out. Hope there’s a real payoff as to why Mae hates these Jedi and why she set the fire.

Am really looking forward to Wookie Jedi. And the Palawan I thought was great.

I was thinking/hoping it was set way earlier in the past. Seems odd if there is some Sith like beings only a hundred years before the PT. Are we going to get a Yoda cameo as well?

sedati

Seems odd if there is some Sith like beings only a hundred years before the PT. Are we going to get a Yoda cameo as well?
I think there is a perpetual line of Sith, they've just gone into hiding or are keeping their machinations on the down-low.

There is a master and apprentice both of whom would be considered Sith. But all the while the master may test the apprentice with a possible replacement while that apprentice may be training an Acolyte to help them kill the master.

doctornick

I think there is a perpetual line of Sith, they've just gone into hiding or are keeping their machinations on the down-low.

There is a master and apprentice both of whom would be considered Sith. But all the while the master may test the apprentice with a possible replacement while that apprentice may be training an Acolyte to help them kill the master.
Right, but in the PT they act like the Sith/evil Force users was something not seen for ages… but someone killing a bunch of Jedi a hundred years prior seems like it would have been known. Heck, Yoda if not others would have been alive at this time.

I’m not saying the Sith weren’t around but it seemed like they were deeper in hiding.

I dunno, just feels like it might have made more sense setting this 1000 years or so before the PT unless there’s some reason it needed to be closer to those films. I guess we’ll see as the show progresses.

erasure fan1

Right, but in the PT they act like the Sith/evil Force users was something not seen for ages… but someone killing a bunch of Jedi a hundred years prior seems like it would have been known. Heck, Yoda if not others would have been alive at this time.
Agreed. Yoda is straight up the head Jedi at that time. So either they have great way to explain things, it's only two episodes so that could be. Or it's going to be kinda strange.

I'm not sure why they didn't just go old republic. Especially since Disney wants to separate from the OT and PT, why slap it down right in prime Yoda territory? Hopefully they've got a satisfying end game. That's been the real struggle for most of the star wars and marvel shows.

sedati

I’m not saying the Sith weren’t around but it seemed like they were deeper in hiding.

I dunno, just feels like it might have made more sense setting this 1000 years or so before the PT unless there’s some reason it needed to be closer to those films. I guess we’ll see as the show progresses.
What if that's not a flaw, but an actual story point? At least you're open to wait and see. I'm reminded of all those who said Ahsoka had to die because she wasn't in "Revenge of the Sith." There's a million ways any story issue can become an engaging plot point.

BrianLo

Especially since Disney wants to separate from the OT and PT, why slap it down right in prime Yoda territory?

I almost 100 percent think it's exactly to have Yoda appear. I'd be incredibly shocked if he didn't. Seems to probably just be trying to keep it as a 'surprise'.

I think Yoda and Grogu (and later some of the droids) will be beyond easy connective tissue for most of their products. That's a very Disney move to me.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Anyone else expecting the master to be one of the girls' moms?

(I haven't dived into the spoilers but it was a pretty early notion I had while watching it.)

Enjoying it so far but it's mid-pack for me, not standout terrific like Andor and early Mandalorian.

erasure fan1

I almost 100 percent think it's exactly to have Yoda appear. I'd be incredibly shocked if he didn't. Seems to probably just be trying to keep it as a 'surprise'.

I think Yoda and Grogu (and later some of the droids) will be beyond easy connective tissue for most of their products. That's a very Disney move to me.
Oh that's 100% for sure. It almost has to happen otherwise the whole show wouldn't make sense. I said it earlier. My point was more it's strange they'd want that to happen.

doctornick

I found this tidbit in another thread...

The High Republic saw the Jedi Order at its prime, centuries prior to the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. You can learn more about this era at StarWars.com’s official hub for all things High Republic.

Interesting that it seems it shifted from "centuries prior" (which is probably why I was expecting that having read it before) to just 100 years at some point. Perhaps the idea of Yoda appearing (to sell it to fans?) has some credence....

CinematicFusion

First Impressions of "Star Wars: The Acolyte" based on the member comments on this board: The Force is… Well, Sorta There​

The Look and Feel: "It looks like Star Wars but acts like Star Trek." Lightsabers and spaceship battles, but... the actors might just break out into a philosophical debate about the Prime Directive at any minute.

Droids Steal the Show: The real stars are, of course, the droids. Especially Pip, who turns into a pilot seat. We’re just here for the droid antics and waiting for them to drop a sick mixtape. Hasbro, where's our Pip action figure? You’re missing a cash cow here!

Action Scenes: The fight scenes are on point. If nothing else, at least we get to see some epic lightsaber duels.

The Plot: Story-wise, it's a mixed bag. Half the viewers are intrigued, the other half are going, "Is it just me, or are we all just watching the characters wander aimlessly through the sets like it’s a Star Wars-themed nature documentary?"

Review Bombing: Right on cue, the review bombers are out in full force, probably because the cast has more women than a Spice Girls reunion tour. But seriously, the only thing heavier than the female cast is the baggage these review bombers are carrying.

Mystery and Theories: The big question: Who’s the mysterious "master"? Some think it's Darth Plagueis, others are betting on "Yoda in a wig." Let’s not forget the wild theory that the master could be one of the girls' moms. A galaxy far, far away just got a lot closer to a daytime soap opera.

Character Curiosities: Mae’s got some serious beef with the Jedi, and we’re dying to know why. And what's the deal with the twin aspect? Here’s hoping it doesn’t end up like a bad episode of "Maury."

Timeline Confusion: The show is set a hundred years before the prequels, which has some fans scratching their heads. "Are we getting a Yoda cameo or what? Dude’s been around longer than sliced bread, he better show up."

Speculations: The perpetual line of Sith hiding out like they’re playing the longest game of hide-and-seek ever. "Hey, maybe they were just really good at social distancing."

Cameos and Connective Tissue: Disney loves their surprise cameos. If Yoda doesn’t show up, fans will riot. We’re betting on at least one scene where he pops out and says, “Surprise, it is!”

Final Verdict so far (according to comments on board): The show’s enjoyable enough, but it’s not quite at the level of "Andor" or early "Mandalorian." It’s mid-pac, like that one droid in the background who doesn’t get a name but is still kinda cool. Here’s hoping the series picks up the pace and gives us a satisfying endgame.

Next up...

Episode 3: The Galactic Drama Unfolds from the voices on this board....​

The Polarizing Episode????: Episode 3 has stirred up intense debate among fans, with wild speculation about its content...

The Polarizing Episode: "What happens in Episode 3 that is so polarizing?" The galaxy is abuzz with speculation. Did Yoda suddenly start breakdancing? Or maybe the Sith Lord is revealed to be a fan of reality TV? Whatever it is, it's got fans on the edge of their seats—or falling off them laughing.

Leak or No Leak: "Yeah so I’m either too lazy or too stupid to find the leak." Ah, the eternal struggle of Star Wars fans everywhere. Finding this leak is harder than finding a needle in a stack of Porgs.

Beyond Ridiculous: "What I read as the 'leak' can’t possibly be true because it’s beyond stupid." Because, you know, Star Wars has always been the epitome of serious storytelling. Remember when Han Solo talked to a giant slug? Yeah, totally serious.

Suspense and Doubt: "I read something but I think it’s made up. I’ll wait for confirmation before saying anything. It just sounds beyond ridiculous." Sounds like the plot twist involves Jar Jar Binks becoming a Sith Lord. Actually, that might make too much sense…

The Lazy Guide: "Go look up ******. So now we’re on an intergalactic scavenger hunt for spoilers. May the search engines be ever in your favor!

Much Ado About Nothing: "Personally it's much ado about nothing to me." Episode 3 is Shakespeare in a galaxy far, far away. To be or not to be… a Jedi.

Hyperbole and Hilarity: "A LOT of hyperbole. But yeah certain types of people will have problems with it no matter how it is portrayed." Like whether Ewoks or Porgs are cuter. Important stuff, folks.

Societal Divide: "It's not as much of a problem with SW as it is with a divide in society that has become deeper and more contentious unfortunately." So, the real dark side is the friends we argued with along the way. Maybe we need a Jedi peace summit to settle these internet debates.

Tune in Tuesday, June 11, 2024.....

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

First Impressions of "Star Wars: The Acolyte" based on the member comments on this board: The Force is… Well, Sorta There​

The Look and Feel: "It looks like Star Wars but acts like Star Trek." Lightsabers and spaceship battles, but... the actors might just break out into a philosophical debate about the Prime Directive at any minute.

Droids Steal the Show: The real stars are, of course, the droids. Especially Pip, who turns into a pilot seat. We’re just here for the droid antics and waiting for them to drop a sick mixtape. Hasbro, where's our Pip action figure? You’re missing a cash cow here!

Action Scenes: The fight scenes are on point. If nothing else, at least we get to see some epic lightsaber duels.

The Plot: Story-wise, it's a mixed bag. Half the viewers are intrigued, the other half are going, "Is it just me, or are we all just watching the characters wander aimlessly through the sets like it’s a Star Wars-themed nature documentary?"

Review Bombing: Right on cue, the review bombers are out in full force, probably because the cast has more women than a Spice Girls reunion tour. But seriously, the only thing heavier than the female cast is the baggage these review bombers are carrying.

Mystery and Theories: The big question: Who’s the mysterious "master"? Some think it's Darth Plagueis, others are betting on "Yoda in a wig." Let’s not forget the wild theory that the master could be one of the girls' moms. A galaxy far, far away just got a lot closer to a daytime soap opera.

Character Curiosities: Mae’s got some serious beef with the Jedi, and we’re dying to know why. And what's the deal with the twin aspect? Here’s hoping it doesn’t end up like a bad episode of "Maury."

Timeline Confusion: The show is set a hundred years before the prequels, which has some fans scratching their heads. "Are we getting a Yoda cameo or what? Dude’s been around longer than sliced bread, he better show up."

Speculations: The perpetual line of Sith hiding out like they’re playing the longest game of hide-and-seek ever. "Hey, maybe they were just really good at social distancing."

Cameos and Connective Tissue: Disney loves their surprise cameos. If Yoda doesn’t show up, fans will riot. We’re betting on at least one scene where he pops out and says, “Surprise, it is!”

Final Verdict so far (according to comments on board): The show’s enjoyable enough, but it’s not quite at the level of "Andor" or early "Mandalorian." It’s mid-pac, like that one droid in the background who doesn’t get a name but is still kinda cool. Here’s hoping the series picks up the pace and gives us a satisfying endgame.

Next up...

The Polarizing Episode????: Episode 3 has stirred up intense debate among fans, with wild speculation about its content...

The Polarizing Episode: "What happens in Episode 3 that is so polarizing?" The galaxy is abuzz with speculation. Did Yoda suddenly start breakdancing? Or maybe the Sith Lord is revealed to be a fan of reality TV? Whatever it is, it's got fans on the edge of their seats—or falling off them laughing.

Leak or No Leak: "Yeah so I’m either too lazy or too stupid to find the leak." Ah, the eternal struggle of Star Wars fans everywhere. Finding this leak is harder than finding a needle in a stack of Porgs.

Beyond Ridiculous: "What I read as the 'leak' can’t possibly be true because it’s beyond stupid." Because, you know, Star Wars has always been the epitome of serious storytelling. Remember when Han Solo talked to a giant slug? Yeah, totally serious.

Suspense and Doubt: "I read something but I think it’s made up. I’ll wait for confirmation before saying anything. It just sounds beyond ridiculous." Sounds like the plot twist involves Jar Jar Binks becoming a Sith Lord. Actually, that might make too much sense…

The Lazy Guide: "Go look up ******. So now we’re on an intergalactic scavenger hunt for spoilers. May the search engines be ever in your favor!

Much Ado About Nothing: "Personally it's much ado about nothing to me." Episode 3 is Shakespeare in a galaxy far, far away. To be or not to be… a Jedi.

Hyperbole and Hilarity: "A LOT of hyperbole. But yeah certain types of people will have problems with it no matter how it is portrayed." Like whether Ewoks or Porgs are cuter. Important stuff, folks.

Societal Divide: "It's not as much of a problem with SW as it is with a divide in society that has become deeper and more contentious unfortunately." So, the real dark side is the friends we argued with along the way. Maybe we need a Jedi peace summit to settle these internet debates.

I’m sorry but you don’t speak for any of us, so please do not try to summarize any of our comments. Please speak only for yourself. Thank you.

CinematicFusion

I’m sorry but you don’t speak for any of us, so please do not try to summarize any of our comments. Please speak only for yourself. Thank you.
My intention was to bring a bit of humor to our discussions by highlighting and summarizing the diverse thoughts shared here. These were opinions from the two pages, and I summarized them. I didn't realize it would affect you so negatively. Disney Irish, I won't summarize the Acolyte message board again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My intention was to bring a bit of humor to our discussions by highlighting and summarizing the diverse thoughts shared here. These were opinions from the two pages, and I summarized them. I didn't realize it would affect you so negatively. Disney Irish, I won't summarize the Acolyte message board again.
Humor or not, you're speaking for others and not accurately I might add. I don't appreciate my comments for example misconstrued or "summarized" down to a sound byte that doesn't properly reflect how I feel. I can't speak for others but to me its not only rude but down right disrespectful. I wouldn't begin to try and speak for you and I can't imagine others would either so please give myself and others on this board the same courtesy. Thank you.

CinematicFusion

Humor or not, you're speaking for others and not accurately I might add. I don't appreciate my comments for example misconstrued or "summarized" down to a sound bite that doesn't properly reflect how I feel. I can't speak for others but to me it’s not only rude but down right disrespectful. I wouldn't begin to try and speak for you and I can't imagine others would either so please give myself and others on this board the same courtesy. Thank you.
Comedians (and I admit I’m not one) often use public observations, opinions, and everyday scenarios as material for their stand-up routines. They highlight and exaggerate these to create humor, sometimes summarizing and reinterpreting situations in a way that isn’t literal but is meant to be entertaining. I see that you didn’t find it funny when I reinterpreted your public response as part of a summary on the Acolyte message board and I’ve taken note.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Comedians (and I admit I’m not one) often use public observations, opinions, and everyday scenarios as material for their stand-up routines. They highlight and exaggerate these to create humor, sometimes summarizing and reinterpreting situations in a way that isn’t literal but is meant to be entertaining. I see that you didn’t find it funny when I reinterpreted your public response as part of a summary on the Acolyte message board and I’ve taken note.
Now you're just insulting my intelligence in trying to tell me what comedians do, as if I didn't know, but also admitting you aren't one. You keep digging yourself deeper on this. Just take the L on this and move on.

CinematicFusion

Now you're just insulting my intelligence in trying to tell me what comedians do, as if I didn't know, but also admitting you aren't one. You keep digging yourself deeper on this. Just take the L on this and move on.
Let’s agree to disagree and move on… I’ve said my peace, you have said yours.

…and the summary stands as it should.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Next up...

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom