SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

CinematicFusion

Based on the numbers, “The Acolyte” seems to be off to a solid start, drawing around 13.3 million views over its first six days, which matches the daily average of other strong Disney+ debuts like “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” . However, sustaining this interest will be crucial for its long-term success.

“Ahsoka” had a similar initial success with 14 million views in its first five days but struggled to maintain its audience, dropping to 860,000 views by the finale

Possibly a lot riding on Ep 3. In television, Episode 3 is often pivotal. It’s where initial setups transition into the main narrative arc, giving viewers clearer sense of show’s direction. If first two episodes have intrigued viewers, Ep 3 is crucial for solidifying interest. For Acolyte, this episode will be key in maintaining viewer engagement and setting the tone for the rest of the season. This episode often makes or breaks the show’s momentum.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Irish, take a breath, relax….

When I take the line from The Acolyte, “If you draw a weapon on a Jedi, you lose,” and suggest it could mean something, I’m just having fun with the lines of the TV show.
That way it’s fun when you tune in next week to see if, how, and what happens next!
Just like the serials of yesteryear. What Star Wars was built on.

Didn’t you sit with your friends at school during lunch in 1982, speculating on the whereabouts of Han Solo, reading SW comics hoping for hints, all in anticipation of the next chapter in the continuing Star Wars saga? It was magic. Remember?

Why does this upset you so much? Speculating about the story is part of the fun and doesn’t mean we’re rewriting the canon. It’s about exploring possibilities within the established universe.

Oh.. your analogy is confusing because discussing and speculating about plot points within an established universe (like Star Wars) is different from switching sports entirely. Speculation and fan theories are more akin to exploring different strategies within the same game rather than playing a completely different game.
You are implying that speculation is as out of place as switching from baseball to tennis, which is not a fair comparison since fan speculation is still within the realm of the Star Wars universe.

First of all, I'm completely relaxed and not upset by anything. So I'm breathing just fine.

Next, as I said if you want to speculate and create your own stories to take the characters on some fantastical journey on where the story goes next, as I said be my guest. I'm not stopping you, I was just suggested doing it in a different thread as this is talking about spoilers for the show. Your version of things are not spoilers, they are essentially fan fiction. But if you want to do it here I, as well as others, are going to comment and point out the potential flaws in those speculations based on the established canon of the show.

We obviously had different childhoods, as no my friends and I didn't create our own Star Wars stories, I was reading Marvel not Star Wars comics. Any "Star Wars" we played was reliving the scenes from the movies not creating our own.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now if we want to get into some actual spoilers.

Ep3 is suppose to establish the origins of Osha and Mae and what happened to them. I won't go into more based on what I've read, but its going to be interesting to see how some fans react to their origins.

CinematicFusion

First of all, I'm completely relaxed and not upset by anything. So I'm breathing just fine.

Next, as I said if you want to speculate and create your own stories to take the characters on some fantastical journey on where the story goes next, as I said be my guest. I'm not stopping you, I was just suggested doing it in a different thread as this is talking about spoilers for the show. Your version of things are not spoilers, they are essentially fan fiction. But if you want to do it here I, as well as others, are going to comment and point out the potential flaws in those speculations based on the established canon of the show.

We obviously had different childhoods, as no my friends and I didn't create our own Star Wars stories, I was reading Marvel not Star Wars comics. Any "Star Wars" we played was reliving the scenes from the movies not creating our own.
You read Marvel comics but never speculated about what would happen next after a cliffhanger? Did you really just walk away without thinking about it until you got the next issue at the comic book shop? For many of us, that was part of the magic—wondering how the heroes would overcome their challenges and what twists the story would take.

Never entered your mind? Incredible.

Well, I’ll keep imagining what the next episode will bring and you keep doing that thing you do, Irish.

I can’t wait to tell everyone I got into an argument with someone who said it’s not allowed to speculate about dialogue, what the next episode might bring after a cliffhanger because it’s not canon. I’m talking to my wife now and she can’t believe it.
I’m showing her the messages. So awesome.
Yeah she is a dork also. She agrees… where is the fun in that?

You be you Irish.

CinematicFusion

For you.... Not all fans are that way so please don't speak for the entire fandom. Thank you.
Irish, you are awesome. I love it.
speculation is a significant part of fandom. Fans engage in speculation to discuss and theorize about future plot points, character developments, and story arcs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You read Marvel comics but never speculated about what would happen next after a cliffhanger? Did you really just walk away without thinking about it until you got the next issue at the comic book shop? For many of us, that was part of the magic—wondering how the heroes would overcome their challenges and what twists the story would take.

Never entered your mind? Incredible.

Well, I’ll keep imagining what the next episode will bring and you keep doing that thing you do, Irish.

I can’t wait to tell everyone I got into an argument with someone who said it’s not allowed to speculate about dialogue, what the next episode might bring after a cliffhanger because it’s not canon. I’m talking to my wife now and she can’t believe it.
I’m showing her the messages. So awesome.
Yeah she is a dork also. She agrees… where is the fun in that?

You be you Irish.
LMAO! Where did I say you couldn't do something? I never said any of that.

CinematicFusion

Now if we want to get into some actual spoilers.

Ep3 is suppose to establish the origins of Osha and Mae and what happened to them. I won't go into more based on what I've read, but its going to be interesting to see how some fans react to their origins.
We have heard… ep.3 need to bring in solid viewing numbers. Ep.3 is a make or break episode historically in tv shows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Irish, you are awesome. I love it.
speculation is a significant part of fandom. Fans engage in speculation to discuss and theorize about future plot points, character developments, and story arcs.
I think whats funny is this comes across as though you think the entirety or at least the majority of the fandom is like you. This was a discussion just had the other day in one of these threads. The fandom isn't one thing, no one is an authority nor speaks for the entire fandom. That is my point, so instead of speaking for the entire fandom speak for yourself.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Im Out GIF

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know you didn’t mean to but my wife just read all your messages about speculation and those were her words.
LMAO! Thank you for the laugh, seriously. This is obviously what you've wanted, this whole interaction and engagement, because there was none previously.

Now instead of this back and forth why don't you go ahead and put whatever speculation you want. I'll just provide my comments as I see fit, I'm sure others will too. Thank you.

CinematicFusion

I think whats funny is this comes across as though you think the entirety or at least the majority of the fandom is like you. This was a discussion just had the other day in one of these threads. The fandom isn't one thing, no one is an authority nor speaks for the entire fandom. That is my point, so instead of speaking for the entire fandom speak for yourself.
Irish, you speak in such absolutes, almost like a Sith. You claim no one speaks for the entire fandom, yet you seem confident in asserting what the fandom should or shouldn’t do. Everyone has their own way of engaging with the stories they love. Speculation and diverse perspectives are part of what makes any fandom vibrant and interesting. If you don’t enjoy that aspect, that’s your choice, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a valid way for others to participate.

I’ll let you have the last word.

doctornick

I am here, but I figured this was between the 2 of you… personally I am not 1 to create my own personal Star Wars stories… I just watch for the entertainment value… speculation is what leads to disappointment in franchises when it does not pan out to what the fans imagined

I tend to agree with this. While I might make guesses about stuff, I like to avoid the idea of "this is what I would do" or "what I want" and let the story itself unfold. All too often I do see people get upset because their head canon doesn't end up coming to pass.

That being said, I am a big fan of internal consistency and avoiding retcons. So, Episode I established that the Jedi haven't been aware of any active Sith for an extremely long time. So I am curious - and concerned - with how this will be worked out in The Acolyte. There's no way that multiple Jedi being killed would be a thing that is simply waved off by other Jedi (at the "height of their power") as not important, so there has to be some explanation that is accepted by people in universe. They decided to set this only a 100 years before TPM so they should have a plan to make this all fit.

doctornick

Speculation is a fundamental part of being a fan, it fuels excitement and engagement. It’s how we stay connected to the stories we love.

Think about it: after The Empire Strikes Back ended, fans spent years speculating on what would happen to Han Solo. These discussions and theories are what kept the magic alive between the films. Speculating on what could happen next is what makes following a series or franchise so thrilling. It’s not about creating personal Star Wars stories, but rather about enjoying the journey and the possibilities it presents. The fun lies in discussing these theories with fellow fans, even if they don’t always pan out.

I actually found this an interesting point, so I figured I'd put in my two cents a bit. I played with my action figures as a kid. A lot. But I don't think I ever did any "speculation" or continued the stories after the established canon. Like I mostly played with my Star Wars or GI Joe figures and did completely unrelated things with them - pretended they had super powers, imagined them on different planets or countries, often I mixed up the good guys and bad guys as working together. Like it was always imaginative play or perhaps reacting scenes from those movies/shows. Maybe on some level I would have been embarrassed to add/change the stories written by others - I probably subconsciously would view that as rude or intrusive/insulting to other people's creative works.

I actually don't think I was every curious or thought about what happened to anyone after Return of the Jedi. I guess I figured if that was a cool story, they would tell us and I'd watch it. I guess I never really cared as the story was done. It got me thinking about perhaps why I rather enjoyed TLJ because I don't think I ever had any concept of what Luke "should" have been doing to be disappointed.

When it comes to coming up with ideas for products - like an ongoing show for The Acolyte - I think I typically view it as trying to "guess" any mystery (and see if I "win" by being right) or trying to figure out how things end up fitting together (particularly in how canon all evens out effectively, as I hate retcons). But I'm usually not bothered if things end up differently - in fact, the more creative and distinct a product ends up, I think the more I end up liking it because I'm more engaged or "wowed". As long as it is well told, with good characters, etc.

CinematicFusion

I actually found this an interesting point, so I figured I'd put in my two cents a bit. I played with my action figures as a kid. A lot. But I don't think I ever did any "speculation" or continued the stories after the established canon. Like I mostly played with my Star Wars or GI Joe figures and did completely unrelated things with them - pretended they had super powers, imagined them on different planets or countries, often I mixed up the good guys and bad guys as working together. Like it was always imaginative play or perhaps reacting scenes from those movies/shows. Maybe on some level I would have been embarrassed to add/change the stories written by others - I probably subconsciously would view that as rude or intrusive/insulting to other people's creative works.

I actually don't think I was every curious or thought about what happened to anyone after Return of the Jedi. I guess I figured if that was a cool story, they would tell us and I'd watch it. I guess I never really cared as the story was done. It got me thinking about perhaps why I rather enjoyed TLJ because I don't think I ever had any concept of what Luke "should" have been doing to be disappointed.

When it comes to coming up with ideas for products - like an ongoing show for The Acolyte - I think I typically view it as trying to "guess" any mystery (and see if I "win" by being right) or trying to figure out how things end up fitting together (particularly in how canon all evens out effectively, as I hate retcons). But I'm usually not bothered if things end up differently - in fact, the more creative and distinct a product ends up, I think the more I end up liking it because I'm more engaged or "wowed". As long as it is well told, with good characters, etc.
All fair points, but let me add some context. I don’t know your age so maybe this isn’t relatable…

I was in third grade when Empire came out and, after seeing the cliffhanger ending for Empire in theaters, we had to wait years for the next episode. We speculated about Lucas’s next chapter in the continuing Star Wars saga. Where is Han Solo? Who is Jabba? Is Darth Vader really Luke’s father? Those discussions lasted until the summer of fifth grade, when Return Of The Jedi was finally going to reveal all answers. Looking back, the anticipation and waiting for the next episode was awesome!

Lucas was known for his appreciation of serialized storytelling, which inherently invites speculation and anticipation. The cliffhanger ending of Empire was designed to keep audiences eagerly anticipating the next installment, which naturally leads to speculation and discussion among fans. This approach aligns with his love for the adventure serials of the 1930s and 1940s, which often ended with cliffhangers to keep audiences coming back for more. I think that’s exactly how George Lucas wanted it. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” was built on that foundation.

So, can you see where my point of view on fandom comes from?

I’ll let you have the last word.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Exactly, I think we had similar childhoods (and I can't imagine we're alone in this) and are both obviously still a huge fan of the franchise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom