SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

C33Mom

I’ll keep watching (if given the opportunity) because I’m curious about Vern/Qimir and Yoda/Plagueis but I am bummed that they killed off all the likeable characters (to me)…but more than anything, I’m annoyed that after showing us that Mae was totally obsessed with her sister (self?) from the time they were kids such that she was actually willing to set their home on fire and potentially kill Osha rather than lose her, suddenly at the end Mae and Osha are like “let’s just go our separate ways, eh?” The mind wipe didn’t make a lot of sense, and why would either Osha or Mae expect the Jedi to be good to Mae (who had actually recently killed at least 2 Jedi).

Osha honestly seemed like the least likely to become a Sith— she turned down opportunities to kill, she seemed loyal and dutiful, even rescued the dude in the prisoner transport at risk to her own life…then they just tell us at the end (without showing or hinting) that she was too angry at Mae to become a Jedi and suddenly she’s killing off Sol without even trying to get a full explanation. I had been waiting for Sol to turn all show long because he’s way too emotional and attached to people, but he died before he had the chance. I don’t think Sol really did anything evil or indefensible on Brendok though he failed to live by the Jedi code and got attached and emotional it really wasn’t until the coverup where I think Osha has a real reason to hate him… I honestly don’t think the show went far enough to make most of us more sympathetic to Mae and the coven than we were to Sol and the Jedi, if that is what they wanted to do.

I didn’t really enjoy watching most episodes or the finale—but it absolutely drew me in, I think the many loose ends are interesting and I hope we get more content set in this time period even if it’s not exactly tailored to my preferences.

erasure fan1

How is that lazy writing if the idea is to show a more humanistic side to both the witches and the Jedi?
I wouldn't really say it was a humanistic side for the witches. Again, what she did would have turned anyone against her. Just because she says as she's dieing, "I was going to let her go", doesn't humanize her. The only thing I thought was, how dumb are you? If she says I'm going to let her go, none of this happens. That's why it's lazy, it's just not well thought out. Again, I don't have an issue with what they were trying to do, only how they did it.
The idea is not that you've seen it before, its that you haven't seen it from this perspective. So there is newer details being given even if you've seen parts of it before. But I get it, you don't think this was a good use of that storytelling device.
I don't think it's a good use of that story device in a show with limited episodes and limited run time per episode. Especially since a bunch of it wasn't actually a new perspective. Look at how the show ended. Almost nothing was resolved and then they added in a heap of new questions. Reusing so much footage, that's just the same thing we have seen, just from maybe a different camera angle. Wasn't a good use of the time they had. The scenes with actual new perspective, great, I'm not advocating for those to go away, I never did. What if instead of seeing the exact same thing we've already seen. We see how Mae survived and who helped her, or how she became involved with Qimere, things like that.

Mike S

I’m happy I went with my instincts and just listened to reviews. If I want to watch a story about a Jedi conspiracy there’s 2 story arcs in Clone Wars that come to mind that have much more coherent plots and much better writing.

mf1972

The conclusion solidified that creepy possessive impression of Sol as a bad guy, so that didn't change my opinion.

And I don't think the show is great, but I'd tune into a second season just for Manny Jacinto because he's been compelling in all his scenes at least.
he was very funny in the good place

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I wouldn't really say it was a humanistic side for the witches. Again, what she did would have turned anyone against her. Just because she says as she's dieing, "I was going to let her go", doesn't humanize her. The only thing I thought was, how dumb are you? If she says I'm going to let her go, none of this happens. That's why it's lazy, it's just not well thought out. Again, I don't have an issue with what they were trying to do, only how they did it.
Except people are reactionary in such situations, even if its against our own self preservation, especially when it comes to their loved ones. So just because it seems dumb to you, well that is human nature. And if you're trying to write characters that are more realistic you make them react in a way that would seem believable in the situation. That is not lazy writing, that is creating well rounded characters.

I don't think it's a good use of that story device in a show with limited episodes and limited run time per episode. Especially since a bunch of it wasn't actually a new perspective. Look at how the show ended. Almost nothing was resolved and then they added in a heap of new questions. Reusing so much footage, that's just the same thing we have seen, just from maybe a different camera angle. Wasn't a good use of the time they had. The scenes with actual new perspective, great, I'm not advocating for those to go away, I never did. What if instead of seeing the exact same thing we've already seen. We see how Mae survived and who helped her, or how she became involved with Qimere, things like that.
Thank you for your opinion, but I disagree. I think having a multi-point-of-view story works even in a limited run series like this one. I like stories that show more than one point-of-view, as it shows how perspective changes a situation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thank you for your opinion, but I disagree. I think having a multi-point-of-view story works even in a limited run series like this one. I like stories that show more than one point-of-view, as it shows how perspective changes a situation.
I lol'd at the concern over limited runtime... while the technique is frequently used in 90-120min movies...

Dude just can't see past his own desires for wanting a different story to be told.

erasure fan1

Except people are reactionary in such situations, even if its against our own self preservation, especially when it comes to their loved ones. So just because it seems dumb to you, well that is human nature
That is true people are very reactionary. But I also don't think people who have good intentions start with violence. If that was myself, if my decision was to let my child go, that's what I lead with when they come to get them. Notice they weren't coming back for Mae. If the Jedi were supposed to be the bad guys, they just show up and take the girls. It's just an odd choice in my opinion.
Again, I agree. I'm strictly talking about the scenes with no change. When the same information is laid out exactly the same, a different camera angle doesn't count. It adds nothing to show a different perspective. It's literally showing the same thing we've seen already. The episodes only average 25/27min, so that time is extremely precious. All I'm saying is they could have used their time much more effectively.

erasure fan1

I lol'd at the concern over limited runtime... while the technique is frequently used in 90-120min movies...

Dude just can't see past his own desires for wanting a different story to be told.
I lol'd at your ability to read what's being said. Are you that connected to Disney/Lucasfilm that you will spin everything to try and defend the show? At no point did I say I wanted a different story to be told. I've said multiple times, and I'm sure you will ignore it again, that there's a good story in there. It's just not told particularly well. And most of the world seems to agree. I'd say you can't see past your desire for everyone to love the show as much as you do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When the same information is laid out exactly the same, a different camera angle doesn't count. It adds nothing to show a different perspective
Except the impact of actually SEEING IT DIFFERENTLY. There is impact here besides the literal duplication of information.

Why do directors have actors read something aloud to themselves when reading something we see on screen? It's the same information right???

These are filmmaking and story techniques that are well established and effective. I am dumbfounded by your obliviousness to their purpose and value.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is true people are very reactionary. But I also don't think people who have good intentions start with violence. If that was myself, if my decision was to let my child go, that's what I lead with when they come to get them. Notice they weren't coming back for Mae. If the Jedi were supposed to be the bad guys, they just show up and take the girls. It's just an odd choice in my opinion.
You're only think about this from what you would do, not from what others would do. That is why I think you're having an issue with this. I've seen many people do things that are against their own self interests in my life. So its not an odd choice if you think about it from that perspective.

Again, I agree. I'm strictly talking about the scenes with no change. When the same information is laid out exactly the same, a different camera angle doesn't count. It adds nothing to show a different perspective. It's literally showing the same thing we've seen already. The episodes only average 25/27min, so that time is extremely precious. All I'm saying is they could have used their time much more effectively.
Except its not the exact same scene playing out the same way, it different in that its told from a different point-of-view, there is new information being given with new details about the scene.

As I've said before its very much like Kurosawa's Rashomon.

Screamface

This cost $180 million. Adjusting for inflation Revenge of the Sith cost $165 million.

Even the few (one) person I know who were initially enjoying the show ended up thinking it was really bad by the end. I have to assume the culture at Lucasfilm is so toxic those who know better just shut up, let the bad product be made in the hopes that those in control fail and are pushed out sooner than later. If they did speak up it would be met badly, and there's no point trying to rescue bad product to mediocre as that may keep the wrong people in charge longer.

C33Mom

"To continue"?

This is the first time that a Disney SW series missed the top ten for one of the weeks it was playing.

What exactly is "continuing"?
“How can they let The Mandolorian continue?!?!?”

::tears garments::

Look, I would have made most of the Disney+ series differently too—but I like most of them at least as much as TLJ. I don’t think people should assume that handing it off to anybody else is necessarily going to be better. People seem to forget that Lucas himself gave us like an hour of Jar Jar Binks content. 🤢

sedati

Overall I liked the show very much. Like Last Jedi and Andor I appreciated the effort at tackling more sophisticated themes.

I expect to enjoy it more on repeated viewings as has been the case with every show and film as I will be watching it for what it is versus my own expectations and wants. While I don't love everything equally, there has yet to be a project that doesn't have some of my favorite Star Wars in it. Here I got spectacular fights, great design work in a new era (love the use of colors and the Flash Gordon influences.) and great acting.

I will say that I think the California production team is getting more bang for its buck that the European branch. Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Fett, all delivered ambitious and cinematic scenes. Andor and Acolyte may have had more practicality, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Looking forward to "Skeleton Crew" and am happy at how different each project is which shows how diverse Star Wars can be while still being Star Wars.

(Theory time- Plagueis is still apprentice to Tenebrous and is seeking an Acolyte. There are many dark side users in the galaxy at any time, but only two official Sith, maintained through a consistent lineage of master and apprentice. Qimer is simply a dark side user, possibly seeking out the Sith or hoping to garner their attention. This doesn't mean he can't start his own group which is why he's looking to recruit (Knights of Ren, etc.) Plagueis may have been watching Qimer, but now may be looking to Osha instead.)

sedati

I'll also say again that the music for this show was amazing and not only true to Williams, but able to seemlessly integrate his work with the new.

Some interesting design work as well. This feels like Cloud City mixed with the Emperor's Throne Room.
1721509360869.png

Speaking of Bespin, here we have the seating arrangement of the Twin Pod Cloud Car with Tie-Fighter like foils and cockpits resembling those of Y-Wings.
1721509466932.png

And again, I love Vanestra's ship design.
1721509600037.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom